You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Fireball damage delay bug  (Read 1213 times)

Uccido

• New to the Mists
Fireball damage delay bug
« on: January 25, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »
Where:
Multiple locations. Seems to occur in most places I fireball things with more than 1 target.

When:
On casting fireball, seems to vary with number of targets.

What:
All reflex saves are made when fireball hits targets. Damage can take several rounds to occur, or not occur at all. Have seen enemies die from fireball damage -after- being fireballed, running up to me, and killing me. Have also seen things die 1-2 chambers over after fleeing and not taking damage for a few rounds.

Screenshots of logs are here. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zathu0dA-_gFyPFlgl5CPwfLIpo-hfRo

I also tested other evocation spells to see if it was a general issue, but it seems to be fireball specific.

Recreate:
Fireball a group of enemies, the larger the group the more obvious the delays.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
Re: Fireball damage delay bug
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:06:13 PM »
I have noticed the fireball delay on multiple occasions and across multiple locations as well.

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 11:18:16 PM »
I believe the delay in the visual effect of Fireball (and other explosive AoE spells) and the actual damage showing up for various targets in the combat log was done intentionally to try to resolve issues related to another bug.

There's currently a bug that primarily shows up in Har'Akir, along with a few other places - where AoE spells will not trigger on certain targets. The Temple of Anubis is one place where this is particularly rampant - the further back you go in the temple, the more likely you are to find enemies who aren't impacted by AoE spells.

I'm not sure if the damage delay has significantly impacted the problem. It's still happening, although maybe to a lesser extent. EO might be able to speak more on that.

Uccido

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:09:20 AM »
The delay at the moment is too steep. Its at the point where mobs are getting multiple rounds after they should be dead.

If its fireball specific (yet to see otherwise) maybe its something within the spell that needs to be checked and adjusted.

@Mika theres no delay in the visual effect initially, just delays on damage being rolled/applied. I actually wonder if in the location specific bugs, it isn't a result of poor LOS due to objects/doors/terrain.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:38:49 AM by Uccido »

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:33:33 AM »
I believe the original bug that is preventing AoE damage from being applied to some enemies is terrain specific. It seems to mostly occur in Desert areas or the temples that are located in Desert areas (all temples in Har'Akir suffer from this, as well as the Temple in Perfidus). I know that most AoE spells I've tried in these areas suffer from the same bug. I believe that EO only made the damage-delay change to Fireball, as a test to see if that would resolve the issue (https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=49357.msg606831#msg606831).

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 04:50:42 PM »
Indeed, it does appear to be terrain based. The centre room of the Temple of Anubis (with the seven doors branching off it, y'all know the one) is mostly impervious to AoE spells. The delay on Fireball application didn't actually fix it, as you will still encounter mobs which do not care about AoE spells.

The real shame here is that Akiri dungeons are one of the only places evokers should get to have fun, but their spells won't work... tragedy.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »
This should now be fixed on the test server.

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 02:11:47 PM »
This still isn't fixed. Mass Heal, Fireball and etc. will sporadically not work in specific locations (such as the temple of Anubis, and the monastery south of Vallaki).

Upon re-reading, this thread is about the fireball damage delay bug, and not about the original AoE spell bug. Nevermind. This is still fixed.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:15:18 PM by BattleCupcake »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
Two healing circles did not work in Anubis last night. Oops...read BattleCupcake's post and didn't notice topic :)

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.