Author Topic: Elves  (Read 1016 times)

Hathor

• Dark Lord
Elves
« on: September 23, 2020, 11:03:15 PM »
Referencing this thread which appears to be considered canon and correct for the server on the forums: https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=18310.msg211027#msg211027

Most undisguised elves in Ravenloft are hunted by frightened citizens. After a few attempted lynchings, any elf worth his bow will understand the need for disguise while traveling in the dark lands. Thus, any elves who might be journeying through these realms will not be readily apparent, although they will typically offer aid to a fellow elf in danger. Since undead radiate no heat, elves can spot imposters easily at night . . . which comes all too frequently in Ravenloft.

This appears to be an under-emphasized reality in Ravenloft, one I've had in my head as canon a long time but seems to not be reflected much in the game. I've noticed the garda for example treat elves as "others", but Port-a-Lucine which is supposed to be far more tolerant of elves really ends up feeling no different from Vallaki. Is this canon? Should elves have higher OCR, etc?

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Elves
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:12:15 PM »
That source is 2nd Edition, so I wouldn't characterize it as canon for the server.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Elves
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 11:13:04 PM »
It's a bit on the extreme side (keep in mind this is from the AD&D 2E Era where Ravenloft was a tad more Weekend in Hell than it is in 3E). Here's what the Gazetteer has to say about Barovian reaction to elves/dwarves:

Dwarves are thought to dwell deep in the Balinoks, and wild elves purportedly stalk the Tepurich Forest. Rural Barovians who encounter such nonhumans are likely to consider them monstrous freaks or malicious fey.

It mentions rural Barovians since they may have less experience with foreigners and other races. That being said, it'd be impractical to be as harsh, but many shops and facilities aren't available to elves or dwarves unless they invest a lot of points into Influence.