Public (OOC) > Tech discussion

Power supply for a gaming computer

(1/3) > >>

DM Tarokka:
I'm going to buy a new computer and I've found an offer for something which, more or less, seems to be the match between my budget and what I expect.

The specs are these (they're in Italian, but I assume you all can understand what the things are for):

Marca   HP - HP Pc
serie   Pavilion 595-p0002nl
colore   Argento Naturale
Peso articolo   5,15 Kg
Dimensioni prodotto   33,8 x 17 x 27,7 cm
Numero modello articolo   Pavilion 595-p0002nl
Fattore di forma   Desktop PC
Marchio processore   Intel
Tipo processore   Core i7
Velocitą processore   3.2 GHz
Numero processori   6
Dimensioni RAM   8 GB
Tipologia di memoria computer   DDR4 SDRAM
Dimensioni Hard-Disk   1000 GB
Descrizione Hard-Disk   HDD
Coprocessore grafico   Nvidia
Descrizione scheda grafica   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Tipo memoria scheda grafica   DDR5 SDRAM
Dimensioni memoria scheda grafica   4096
Interfaccia scheda grafica   PCI
Tipo di connettivitą   802_11_ABGNAC
Tipo wireless   802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Numero di porte USB 2.0   4
Numero di porte USB 3.0   5
Numero di porte HDMI   1
Wattaggio   180 watt
Tipologia di periferica ottica   DVD-writer
Sistema operativo   Windows 10 Home

What really concerns me is about the power supply, because, as far as I know when you play games (and I don't play only NWN) a lot of power is being used by the machine, so I was wondering whether that 180watt power supply can be a serious issue for it. Consider also that I'm completely useless with hardware and I'm not going to change the power supply by myself nor spending further money to have it done by someone else, thus if it can be a long-termed issue I will just wait for some other offer, for now the computer I'm using is behaving quite fine. I've tried to read as much as I could on the internet (including the reviews of others buyers of that one) and I've not clarified the doubt between these two options which I've found most times: a) one needs to change the power supply anyway; b) if HP sold the computer made like this it must necessarily work to support a 4GB GPU.

Any help, suggestion or explanation is very welcomed.

Nemesis 24:
I understand being useless at hardware, but personally, I would not buy that PC.  Its specs for a start are significantly lower than they look.  You will also be paying for parts of the computer that are, frankly, useless.  The power supply is either going to be inefficient or barely the minimums - mass manufactured PC's are made to eventually fail at the cheapest possible cost, seldom to be long term investments.  Though the processor on that is likely good, the hard disk size and graphics most certainly are not, and the power supply seems woefully underpowered.

DM Tarokka:
I've actually had a good experience in my time with manufactured PCs and the duration of them has been even five years which for my standards is good. Its specs are anyway better than the one I'm using now which runs still quite good. My concern is really just the PSU.

Destinysdesire:
While I cant translate well, my biggest advice is to update the Ram to a 16GB at least.

Iridni Ren:
Not a hardware expert, but I tried three different sites that have forms for entering specs and suggesting a power supply. They all recommended much more power than that for a computer with those specs.

Also, users report needing more power for similar HP models and finding it difficult to upgrade:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-power-supply-PSU-on-595-p0084/td-p/6830226

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version