Author Topic: When Items are taken off PCs IC but the equipment is left on them OOC  (Read 927 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
So the big Search queue at the Estate today got me thinking that we might be able to adapt the Faction storage function principle to allow us to treat those cases where some PC's items are surrended IC but the items are kept in the character's inventory for OOC reasons so we don't have to mess around with giving people back their gear at the end.

e.g. Bob has a sword; this sword is "handed over to the Gendarmerie" IC; but instead, a tool is used on his sword that marks it as "in possession of the Gendarmerie", given it weight 0 and making it unusable. But this is still stored in his inventory at all times.

So in essence it is a storage tool redesigned for the purpose of allowing Law Enforcement factions and DMs the opportunity to limit where gear is used without having to actually take the gear off the player permanently.

OF course it might be exploited to use as regular faction storage, in which case that should be punished within the rules.

Just an idea
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: When Items are taken off PCs IC but the equipment is left on them OOC
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 10:29:37 PM »
Are people not respecting being stripped naked and having all their possessions confiscated by the state? Did you experience a case in which Bob pulled a dagger out of his inner self while in jail?

I don't see the usefulness of this tool, the player can still hide a blade if he has the intent to not respect RP to being with.... Unless it's something to target the actual PC, thus turning each and every item on his inventory to "handed over" state, I see it as cumbersome and flawed(abusive RP) to do individual items.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:31:26 PM by Purist »

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:06:17 AM »
I like it. It would actually make it more intriguing. You'd have to IC find the location or the "key" to the items and then get them back. It would also make the jail more realistic in the sense that you wont have that extra weight on you. I mean should a naked person have the carrying weight of 120 pounds of things that aren't really there? Things which could encumber the character and prevent them from normal movement.

It could add a really fun and neat aspect to escaping jail.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:16:22 PM »
It's not a bad idea.  I think that in a situation between two players though there needs to be an appropriate amount of roleplay between them to determine what exactly is and isn't being found, especially if they agree on using dice rolls together.

It's a bit different when you have a DM involved capable of simply looking through your inventory and removing offending items.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »
I'd rather see bags with more space and different sizes (more slots than 4 as well). RP and mechanic wise would work like you either carry stuff on bags on your clothing, not all scatted over 7-9 pages of inventory.

So if your bags get confiscated you lose access to those items, if you're stripped down, anything outside of the bags goes along. The tool suggested by the OP would function here, you target the PC and all his bags become unavailable, locked even if it's even doable script wise.

Besides, we could have wardrobe and crate items that RP wise stay at some place, for example, a wardrobe at the Lady's Rest inn room, you must be inside the room in order to open the wardrobe item/tool that is inside your inventory. It would have a 100% weight reduction and the item/tool itself weights nothing. Too much hassle for nothing?