You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The ballad of Bogdan Serbanescu  (Read 602 times)

Iyer

• Outlander
The ballad of Bogdan Serbanescu
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:26 PM »
   "Dearest Livia.." Bogdan stopped writing and taped the feather of the quill to his chin. "That is too..... eh..." He sat there, deep in thought for several minutes as he decided how he wanted to start his letter home. He missed his wife Livia more than anything he could remember from his luxurious and pampered childhood. After all, Livia was the one that inspired Bogdan to set off to make a name for himself. Bogdan strained his brain trying to think of the best way to show her how much he missed her. So he did the only other thing that inspired his creativity. He began to play his guitar.

The music flowed through Bogdan's fingers as he used his them to pluck the strings as he moved about the fret board with his other hand. The song was beautiful and gentle. He played a few bars before pausing to smile. "This is perfect!" Bogdan exclaimed happily as he began to draw lines onto the paper. He then filled in those lines with musical notes, humming the newly written section of song.

Bogdan adjusted his position and wiggled his fingers, stretching them back and fourth. He was getting older and his hands just weren't as flexible as they once were. He had started playing his guitar as a boy, but then was more for novelty than love. For a good portion of his life, Bogdan had dreamed of being a traveling musician, but coming from a wealthy family, his life became stagnant. That was until he met Livia. She had shown him that a joy comes more from experience out in the world than in material possession. He pondered after he finished writing the sheet music for his song. The next sheet Bogdan would need to update her on his dream. He stewed on the past few weeks, remembering how far he has come since he took that ferry to Vallaki.

Dearest Livia,

Words cannot describe how much I miss you, so I have attached his song to your letter. I know you can read it. It's how I feel. Much has changed since I left the village. When I came to Vallaki, I was terrified. There were so many outlanders. More than I have ever seen. At first I didn't trust them, but I realized that most of them are good people. In fact, they protect Vallaki. Many do so with their lives. It's inspiring. Each day, they surprise me more and more. Without the outlanders, Vallaki would be in trouble. I doubt that any of our countrymen would agree with that. I never realized how  narrow our own people are when it comes to outlanders, or any unfamiliar thing. I think it's mainly out of fear though. I too was like them, until I met the outlanders.

I was so scared during old night here. The rumors that Vallaki is teeming with darkness at night is true. Despite the obvious danger from creatures of horror, the outlanders open defy old night. They stand tall and proud with their chins high and conviction in their actions. They face the horrors head on, fighting with magic, blades, grit, and pure will to survive. They often fall. Hell, I've fallen more of a few times, but each time, the outlanders saved me. They protect me and everyone else in Vallaki. I am grateful to them. I've become so much braver, inspired by their courage.

I encountered a vampire the other night. Turns out they ARE real. Once again the outlanders drove the creature off. I tried shooting at it, but I could do no damage, so I made sure others stayed alive by healing them. I may not be good at fighting, but at least no one can say I'm not useful. I've been getting good with this bow. I can help a lot more with it.

My music is getting better too. I can't say I've landed a stage yet, but I've been sharing it with as many people as I can. My music seems to inspire while the outlanders battle the darkness. I've been offered a role as the Count's father in a play, but the theater life isn't for me. You can't travel the lands if you are only playing one stage. I don't think I'd be a good actor anyway. I don't think I'll be joining the nice lady's troupe. My heart is in adventure. I will see other lands. I want to walk the sands of the desert. I want see the city of lights. I heard there is a Vistani camp deep within the mist. I'd like to be brave enough to visit it one day.

I miss you. I cannot wait to hold you in my arms again. Maybe some time soon I can take the ferry back and visit you. I'm getting there with my music. Many know me in Vallaki now. I'm starting to build my reputation. I hope soon word of me will reach you from the mouths of others. One day everyone will know my name. I have you to thank for that, my love. I know I'm away from you, but I'll make a name for myself. The Serbanescu family will be known for more than just our wealth and charity. Our future children will be proud to carry the name.

Deepest love,
                                        Bogdan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:01:12 PM by Iyer »