Author Topic: Anticheat log script and EE.  (Read 2497 times)

goldenelvensorceress

• Outlander
Anticheat log script and EE.
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »
Okay look I get it. Your trying to keep people from logging to prevent death. Good thing.

However... EE. Yeah this is the third time now that its done this in two months. Crashed right on the start of combat.

Look, I am not asking for a permanent removal of the script. Just back it off until Beamdog gets a handle on things.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
Re: Anticheat log script and EE.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 11:02:40 AM »
We, uh, don’t have a script to prevent that, we use logs.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »
Between me and a few others, I noticed several crashes at the very beginning or during combat today, and experienced two myself. Both of mine were in the middle of massive swarms of enemies, luckily none resulted in any catastrophic losses and one of them, I even survived to the end because a wizard buffed me to be an unstoppable wall of autoattacks. Someone else happened to crash in the battle where I unfortunately died. The funny thing is they survived with almost no HP and recovered me to be resurrected while the battle was still going on.

I'm too new to know of the anticheat measures, but I hope no one is unfairly punished as a result of these crashes. They often return with apologies in the middle of combat and do everything they can to help their battle-buddies out. I am willing to ignore it for love of the game, but I can't imagine the stress higher-level players have. I use a 2gp weapon and take little damage because of heavy armour and a shield gifted to me by a very generous player. But I imagine when the higher-levels are out there trying to adventure, their skills become awkwardly blunt when the game stops working, potentially sullying their Ravenloft experience as they drop a 1500gp weapon to something they may have easily slain or just barely survived otherwise, and need to incur huge resurrection penalties. Money comes back but moments like those are kinda hard to forget.

This may look off-topic, but I just wanted to share my experience with how common this seems to a new player. In short: I fought through two dungeon areas today and experienced a crash in both. I am also not the only player to have crashed in those dungeons. I hope Beamdog is able to fix it soon, if they're even aware.
Insatisfait permanent, c'est ça l'apanage du champion.

goldenelvensorceress

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
Well then, something is not right. 3 times I have crashed at the start of combat. often with full health. Log into the etherial place

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Uh. Let me be clearer: There are no anti-cheat measures relating to logging in combat or logging out in general. None. We catch people by looking at logs and seeing it happen.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »
As to why you might be logging into the Ethereal, when you crash, your character lingers in game for up to thirty seconds or even a minute at a time depending on the sort of crash you're experiencing. Standing about in combat flat footed tends to drop you pretty quickly if you're getting attacked. And if you -do- drop to negatives by the time you crash, you will die / revive in the ethereal when you come back.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
Yeah crashing in combat sucks, but its not a DM based thing. I've had it happen in sithicus. I am not a big tech person but I imagine it has something to do with the graphics card getting overstimulated or some string of commands the PC can't execute. This will happen on any server you play on the frequency just varies. I crash every time I go in to port.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 04:22:26 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you're crashing a lot try increasing your

MaxTextureMemory=

it'll be in your nwn.ini in Documents. For some reason they never changed the numbers, so it's set to something ridiculous like 32mb. Note: don't increase it more than your video card can actually handle.
: )

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 07:11:20 PM »
How do I know what my video card can handle?

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 09:28:46 PM »
Uh. Let me be clearer: There are no anti-cheat measures relating to logging in combat or logging out in general. None. We catch people by looking at logs and seeing it happen.

Thank you for clarifying, and sorry if I sounded like a doomsayer.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record,
Spoiler: show
if you're crashing a lot try increasing your

MaxTextureMemory=

it'll be in your nwn.ini in Documents. For some reason they never changed the numbers, so it's set to something ridiculous like 32mb. Note: don't increase it more than your video card can actually handle.

Not at all. Thank you for this tip, I hadn't seen it yet and will be trying it.

Open your start menu, type "dxdiag" and go to the Display tab. You're looking for the "Display Memory (VRAM):" field, or something like that. But the game really doesn't need that much, so you can put it on like 512 MB and probably be OK? Maybe 1024 MB? My game does slow down a lot over time, and the FPS starts chugging, leading to an eventual crash (it feels like this consistently happens during long sessions). Is this because of a texture cache being full? Is it exclusive to Enhanced? Someone smarter than me will have to reply in more detail.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Does this work in reverse? If my character crashes out while invisible next to an enemy and they end up putting me down to -1 before I log out, can DMs check the logs and do a raise cause they can see there was absolutely no player response to defend themselves when they would otherwise? (literally just happened to me, this sucks..)

Should I send a DM tell saying what happened when any crash happens while in combat so that it's in their logs so I don't have to worry about a DM looking at it and thinking I tried to cheat death when I hit -1 HP?

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 09:51:34 PM »
Does this work in reverse? If my character crashes out while invisible next to an enemy and they end up putting me down to -1 before I log out, can DMs check the logs and do a raise cause they can see there was absolutely no player response to defend themselves when they would otherwise? (literally just happened to me, this sucks..)

Should I send a DM tell saying what happened when any crash happens while in combat so that it's in their logs so I don't have to worry about a DM looking at it and thinking I tried to cheat death when I hit -1 HP?

Unfortunately, because the game remains connected for a limited (and apparently inconsistent) time after a crash, no way to prove when it occurred.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 12:21:41 AM »
Hmm, would having your text log and error log enabled allow you to prove that you died during a crash?
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Eters

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 04:50:55 AM »
My game does slow down a lot over time, and the FPS starts chugging, leading to an eventual crash (it feels like this consistently happens during long sessions). Is this because of a texture cache being full? Is it exclusive to Enhanced? Someone smarter than me will have to reply in more detail.

The same to me happens even if I increased the memory, it seems to happen indeed in long sessions, I haven't really found anyone who knows the cause of such an issue but it seems something that beamdog has to fix, perhaps there is memory loss and overusage with time. I don't know, but what I personally do to avoid crashing is relog every one or two hours. Just close the game entirely and reboot it, It's annoying, but prevents you from lagging when it matters most.

SardineTheAncestor

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »
Well, that's a shame. Luckily the game loads fast, maybe a minute at most from opening the patcher to loading in. Seems like the best defense for now.

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2019, 07:02:10 PM »
As a Side note. I had this happen way before EE. Just That People seem to suffer more crashes these days i guess

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »

Open Device Manager, look at what your computer has for a video card under Display. It should say right there how many GB it has, otherwise you'd have to google it. You don't have to go crazy on it; my video card has 6 GB and in NWN.ini I have set MaxTextureMemory=512 (which equates to 512 mb, and that's probably serious overkill).
: )

Luthor

• New to the Mists
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 12:51:06 PM »
Hmm, would having your text log and error log enabled allow you to prove that you died during a crash?

I have at least seen signs that debugging levels can be set to be more verbose than default. It will spam your combat log or both if combined, though.
~ Luthor

Dud_Goose

• Undead Slayer
  • The Abominable
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »
Running up the Balinok mountains, I have to be careful in that clearing with the crag cats, because the scream they put out tends to crash me.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

-Charles Bukowski

Iyer

• Outlander
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 02:03:20 PM »
It's not so much an issue if you use the buddy system. If you have consistent crashing while in combat, having someone with you can prevent the badies from icing you before you log completely.