Author Topic: Feat suggestion : Asura Style  (Read 1102 times)

Ken14

• Undead Master
Feat suggestion : Asura Style
« on: January 01, 2019, 11:46:09 AM »
Feat name : Asura Style

Requirement : Monk lvl 1, STR 15+

Description : You have honed your body into the deadliest of weapons. Your fists shatter anything you put your mind to. Your defensive techniques are lacking ( AC penalty of -4 to -6?) due to your devotion to pure offensive power. However, your powerful blows are a defense all on their own, making you able to add your Strength Modifier to your AC.

((  A way to make Strength-Based Monks an more viable thing. Of course, this is a first draft, so feedback would be appreciated!))
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:54:36 PM by Ken14 »

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
Re: Feat suggestion : Asura Style
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »
I'm a little confused here. You'd be taking an AC penalty, to add your strength mod to AC. Wouldn't that cancel itself out?

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »
I mostly made the AC penalty, because otherwhise, practically every monk would take it

Also, do keep in mind that it doesn't change your dex bonus to ac for a STR one, it gets added on top of such.

If we're using the -4 AC penalty, and you have 20 STR , we'd be talking about a solid + 1 AC. And more if you get buffed.

In my thoughts, this feat without an AC penalty would be too powerful. But maybe the developers think otherwhise? Maybe a -2 AC penalty would be better, so you'd get -at- least 1 AC out of the feat.

Regardless,  I think it would be a neat addition to make STR-based Monks a more viable build.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:21:24 PM by Ken14 »

Wholesome Memester

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »
But aren't str monks a viable build?

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »
But aren't str monks a viable build?

Sure, but this would make them even more viable, on a more even standing with Dex-based monks, or so I believe.

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 06:13:05 PM »
I like the idea but I think a better idea would be to give Str based monks an increase in AB, something that many current monk players are no doubt very thirsty for. This way, you can have a different playstyle of monk that brings something different to the table and allows them to expand beyond being a flanker or a tank in the later portions of the levelling game.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Ken14

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:40:28 PM »
I like the idea but I think a better idea would be to give Str based monks an increase in AB, something that many current monk players are no doubt very thirsty for. This way, you can have a different playstyle of monk that brings something different to the table and allows them to expand beyond being a flanker or a tank in the later portions of the levelling game.

I like this idea! A flat AB increase would be simplest. Maybe even a series of feats with escalating STR increases? Like so :

Feat name : Demon Fist Style

Requirement : Monk lvl 1, STR 13+

Description : You have honed your body into the deadliest of weapons. Your fists shatter anything you put your mind to. To you, the best defense is offense. You get an additional +1 to AB for unarmed attacks.

Feat name : Dragon Fist Style

Requirement : Demon Fist Style,  Monk lvl 8, STR 15+

Description : Your Ki empowers your natural strength, heightening your already impressive offensive capacities. Your +1 AB increases to +2.

Feat name : Dread Fist Style

Requirement : Dragon Fist Style,  Monk lvl 12, STR 17+

Description : You have become Dread, destroyer of bodies. Your fists are legion. Your punch is one of a kind. The +2 bonus becomes +4.