You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Buy a new key in the Governers hotel?  (Read 1969 times)

Gods_Kill_People

• Outlander
Buy a new key in the Governers hotel?
« on: March 05, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
So I rent Guest Suite 2, and am now sharing it with another, but I cannot get a spare key, and DMs cannot produce one, can we add a script that allows us to buy another key after we own the room please?

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Buy a new key in the Governers hotel?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:29:27 PM »
You should be able to. I haven't stayed at the Governor's in literally years, so maybe something's changed since then but I distinctly recall one of my character's friends renting one of those rooms and giving me a spare key. Did you have a spare key and you can't get it renewed or you rented the room and you never could get a spare key? If it's the former, I believe you need to have both keys in your inventory to renew them both. If it's the latter then it might be a bug.

Gods_Kill_People

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
You should be able to. I haven't stayed at the Governor's in literally years, so maybe something's changed since then but I distinctly recall one of my character's friends renting one of those rooms and giving me a spare key. Did you have a spare key and you can't get it renewed or you rented the room and you never could get a spare key? If it's the former, I believe you need to have both keys in your inventory to renew them both. If it's the latter then it might be a bug.

You have to ask for a spare key the first time you rent it, but Rozira was single at the time so wouldn't be sharing it. Now that shes seeing someone, she needs a spare and cannot get one.

Gods_Kill_People

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »
I just went back over everything. Here are the options.

1. Ask to renew your stay - which if clicked gives you the options to give him the gold, ask about something else or leave.

2. Ask about the Ballroom - Which does exactly that.

3. Ask about the Governor's Hotel - Which does exactly that.

4. Leave

So there is no option to get a spare key at all.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 05:17:34 PM »
Indeed. It’s not a bug. You can only get spare keys when you first get the room due to technical limitations. Your best bet is changing rooms then picking extra keys.

Gods_Kill_People

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »
Indeed. It’s not a bug. You can only get spare keys when you first get the room due to technical limitations. Your best bet is changing rooms then picking extra keys.

You cannot pick a new room when you rent guest suites, you are entirely stuck with it, and the chances of getting another guest suite are 1/1000

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:27:16 PM »

You cannot pick a new room when you rent guest suites, you are entirely stuck with it, and the chances of getting another guest suite are 1/1000

Bit of an effort to be done for exceptional circumstances but wouldn't it be easier if a DM grabbed your key, saved a copy of their avatar and then handed back the key to you twice? I think DM avatars are saved locally so this should be possible..?

Unless there's scripts in place to prevent DMs from loading in items from an external source.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
Alternatively you can just wait for your rental of that room to expire and then just re-rent it and grab an extra key. It's a bit of a pain, sure, but since you know when it's going to expire anyways you should be able to snatch it back up before anyone else does. That way you get to keep your room too.

If it's at all possible for a DM to clear your rental and make that room available again, the simplest thing would be to have them do that and compensate you for the time you had left in that room.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »

Bit of an effort to be done for exceptional circumstances but wouldn't it be easier if a DM grabbed your key, saved a copy of their avatar and then handed back the key to you twice? I think DM avatars are saved locally so this should be possible..?

Unless there's scripts in place to prevent DMs from loading in items from an external source.
If this is done you won’t be able to renew the duplicate key. Your best bet is to plan the renewal. You can use the examine tool to get the exact amount of game days left on your rental and let them expire. Be in the lobby, and rent all over again the moment it turns midnight. You might need to leave the area and come back to let the scripts take your key.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 11:20:38 PM »
So I rent Guest Suite 2, and am now sharing it with another, but I cannot get a spare key, and DMs cannot produce one, can we add a script that allows us to buy another key after we own the room please?

If I'm understanding all of this correctly, the rooms are very hard to come by. So essentially the request is that Devs write a script to make monopolizing them easier because two PCs with room keys should have an easier time keeping the room renewed than one, no?

I think it's a lot to ask of Devs given that a PC could get two room keys to start with, even if she is "single," in hopes that in the future she won't be. If the rooms are so scarce and almost impossible to get, then they are probably underpriced relative to players' willingness to pay. Therefore, paying double to increase the chance of retaining the room in the long run (with a companion) isn't unreasonable.

In the Tenements one must pay more than twice as much *not* to have a roomie :)

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 11:57:21 PM »
Don’t read too much into this. The reason that you can’t get extra keys later is because the scripts were written when we had to be absolutely minimal with database calls and it would be a pain in the neck to rewrite them (and not worth it compared to, say, adding new hak materials).
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Gods_Kill_People

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 01:04:40 AM »

If I'm understanding all of this correctly, the rooms are very hard to come by. So essentially the request is that Devs write a script to make monopolizing them easier because two PCs with room keys should have an easier time keeping the room renewed than one, no?

I think it's a lot to ask of Devs given that a PC could get two room keys to start with, even if she is "single," in hopes that in the future she won't be. If the rooms are so scarce and almost impossible to get, then they are probably underpriced relative to players' willingness to pay. Therefore, paying double to increase the chance of retaining the room in the long run (with a companion) isn't unreasonable.

In the Tenements one must pay more than twice as much *not* to have a roomie :)

I don't know how the heck you got this....the person with the Master Key still has to pay the rent every week.