Author Topic: A FAQ regarding what aspects of PotM are 3.0 and which are 3.5?  (Read 1906 times)

UilliamNebel

• Undead Master
A FAQ regarding what aspects of PotM are 3.0 and which are 3.5?
« on: December 25, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
I know this may seem like splitting hairs, but the 3.5 books (PHB and DMG) really did write over a lot of things from the 3.0 to create significant differences of tone for the setting.

For example, fortune telling.

In 3.0 Campaign setting, page 204 describing 'The Sight' of Vistani,  you are told that it isn't the Tarokka deck with the power to do so. That fortune telling is a skill, and Tarokka is a fetish at best to the art form of the magic in it. You are also told only female Vistani have this ability, except for the dreaded Dukkar.

Now in 3.5 Ravenloft DMG page 160, this is all basically thrown out, and you are told anyone with a properly made and cared for Tarokka deck and Vistani blood can tell fortunes.

Now not the biggest deal in the world, however it does present some issues for consistency and immersion.

Another example using the option for the 3.5 DMG to say the Common language exist in Ravenloft and is established among the population to a significant amount. Game mechanics wise, not a game breaking change by any means, aesthetic wise to what Ravenloft 3.0 was written as, very heterogeneous lands, cultures, and ethnicities, that are a reflection of the domain made to further reflect the darklord, this does have huge ramification. It changes the setting from one of isolated for the most part, dislike and alien to one another ethnicities, and makes it more diluted and less isolated in comparison (Yes, I know, the server is a decade old. But shifts in language, in an age of sail and cart wheel, don't happen in ten years).

I am not asking to rollback, change, or modify anything here, I am asking can a FAQ perhaps be put together, even if point by point, of where PotM goes with 3.0 or 3.5 lore on things like the above that have significant differences on the game world?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: A FAQ regarding what aspects of PotM are 3.0 and which are 3.5?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 01:27:56 PM »
It'd be fairly complicated to compile such a FAQ. That being said, usually we favor 3E lore over 3.5 when there's a discrepancy but that's not set in stone either.

UilliamNebel

• Undead Master
Re: A FAQ regarding what aspects of PotM are 3.0 and which are 3.5?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »
Thanks EO.