Author Topic: Issues with lag  (Read 1846 times)

tanikozo

• Dark Lord
Issues with lag
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:34:28 AM »
Hello guys, I just downloaded all the required files and whatnot but my experience with the game hasn't been pleasant(so far only hopefully). I am talking about latency between issuing movement commands, dialogue option, opening my inventory and stuff like that. I fear that the problem may be in my computer or internet connection though since I've tried another one of the "big" servers and the lag was there too. The one thing that comforts me though is that I tried 2 other PWs and everything has been okay in those, it seems that the bigger and more complex servers like Ravenloft, which I actually intend on investing time in, are just not working quite well for me  :?.

I realise that there's a possibility that the problem is in me and it's more of a general one regarding my overall online NWN expereince and not specifically Ravenloft but please leave some suggestion on what can be done if there's something I can do. I've tried a MMORPG to check my ping there and it's like 34ms there and the game is arguably more demanding and taxing than Ravenloft. I am from Europe and more specifically Eastern Europe if that makes a difference, also playing from a Steam copy.

Specs: GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i3-7100
RAM: 8 GB

Would love to get some insight on improving my performance since if I can press myself hard enough I can kinda play at the moment but I am sure it would ruine the immersion and experience of myself and other people when for example I am trying to talk/go somewhere and my character is acting slower than everyone else  :roll:

zDark Shadowz

Re: Issues with lag
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 03:51:31 PM »
Well, you have the ram for it.

Is your connection being shared with anyone else? Ping is fine but if the packets are being delayed overall by someone else that ping is going to vary. Open up cmd.exe and type in the command line ping -t 46.4.59.55 and check the results that ping back from the Ravenloft server.

If it's consistent then your basic internet connection is fine, in which case..

Are all your video card drivers up to date?

If someone else is gaming on your connection, are you able to investigate which ports their programs use compared to your own?

If you open up your Resource Monitor via the task manager, are there any programs that are using up your bandwidth as you play? Is your Windows Update fully up to date or is that downloading in the background? It should only be the programs that manage your network & whichever programs you are currently using open. I know i've had issues with chrome.exe at work not closing properly when it should be closed (to the point of lots of multiple copies in Task Manager *_*) and I've had to manually kill those chrome copies to regain some semblance of internet stability.

There are a few things that can cause IG lag, so cover all these bases first and that'll make it easier for someone more knowledgeable in this to deduce where the lag is coming from.

tanikozo

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 06:00:43 AM »
Thanks for the thorough answer! My ping is 43 ms it seems. Somehow I kinda fixed it with a combination of updating my drivers as you said and changing the CPU affinity.

EDIT: Yeah nevermind I guess. Input lag is gone but areas load for too long(sometimes it appears I am there but the map isn't working and I have to wat until it's registered that I am in the new area). Also looking around/zooming is choppy, only area I haven't experienced this are the Sewers.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:32:15 AM by tanikozo »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 04:09:22 PM »
If your computer contains alternative graphics cards make sure that NWN is assigned to using the correct / best one for the job.

That's all I can advise at this point now I'm afraid.

goldenelvensorceress

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
I used to see where the NWN code did not deal with being played over WIFI very well.

Day Old Bread

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 11:11:29 PM »
Was having some connection issues today and tried out the suggestion to ping the server found here:

Spoiler: show
Well, you have the ram for it.

Is your connection being shared with anyone else? Ping is fine but if the packets are being delayed overall by someone else that ping is going to vary. Open up cmd.exe and type in the command line ping -t 46.4.59.55 and check the results that ping back from the Ravenloft server.

I kept getting "request timed out" just from this server.  I tried it with a few other servers and let it ride out for a while and wasn't having any issues.  I've been running smooth for a couple of month and suddenly today I'm having connection issues and latency that makes it difficult to play and interact with others.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me here?

The issue seems to have resolved itself
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:45:58 PM by ZSRunner »