Author Topic: Suggestion: @Makesafe  (Read 1962 times)

Dariu

• New to the Mists
Suggestion: @Makesafe
« on: December 18, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »
Due to the tendencies to get stuck in positions that require DMs to come in to save us, and DMs are rarely able to be on for this, can we make an @Makesafe option? This would port you to the nearest transition. Yes I realize this is something that COULD be abused, but with a firm warning that if caught abusing this you could face severe repercussions I think it could be better then being stuck until a DM can make time to free you.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
Re: Suggestion: @Makesafe
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
Due to the tendencies to get stuck in positions that require DMs to come in to save us, and DMs are rarely able to be on for this, can we make an @Makesafe option? This would port you to the nearest transition. Yes I realize this is something that COULD be abused, but with a firm warning that if caught abusing this you could face severe repercussions I think it could be better then being stuck until a DM can make time to free you.

I like this idea although I think it would be too prone to abuse to implement. Is there a location port option to relocate a character just say 10 feet away from where they are currently stuck? So lets say @Makesafe would just port your character 10 feet North/South/East/West? Im not sure if this is even possible with the NWN engine, but I think it could help players get unstuck on their own be less susceptible to abuse.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:33:19 PM »
Adding a timer to it would aid against abuse.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »
+ Also don't allow jailed characters to use it.
+ Disable it when you are hostile to any other player.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's a makesafe console command that can un-clip objects. Maybe that could be shackled into an @command?

Dariu

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 02:38:21 PM »
A timer would be fine, and maybe it moves you 5-10 paces in the direction your facing? I know Arelith uses this and its not overly abused, thus why if you are caught abusing it, the punishment would be strict.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »
A timer would be fine, and maybe it moves you 5-10 paces in the direction your facing? I know Arelith uses this and its not overly abused, thus why if you are caught abusing it, the punishment would be strict.

Yeah I like the addition of the timer to this concept. Good to know that another server has already found a way to put it into practice as well.

Dariu

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 03:03:01 PM »
For note, Arelith does not use Haks, so this is something that could be easily implemented without too much hassle, its of course more the scripting that would take the time of our devoted Dev team.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
If you're with other people there are clever ways to escape getting stuck. Relogging with another player close enough to where you were, spawning a summon on top, creating a placeable object such as a campfire or carpentry object.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:54:36 PM by zDark Shadowz »

DM Brimstone

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 04:40:56 PM »
The "help, I'm stuck" issue is a rather infrequent request. Nine times out of ten it occurs in inn rooms that lock and the solution to that is to use the rest menu to teleport into the OOC lounge and then port back, unlocking the door and allowing egress.

Just my observation for what it's worth.

Dariu

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »
This situation was behind a wall, relogging didn't fix it, couldn't make a fire, @seatme didn't work, it literally required a DM.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
I have warped across the map upon transitioning to find myself stuck on a cliff I shouldn't be on more times than I'm comfortable with, on a semi-frequent basis. Happened all of two days ago, matter of fact. I support this command.

*Edit*

That said, there has never been a DM around or available to get me down. I've had to do a lot of clever yet maddening things to get myself down, that are never a sure thing to work. Being able to save myself the hassle with a single command would be a godsend.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:23:57 PM by LivingWasteland »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 11:01:49 PM »
It's too easily exploitable and we don't want to introduce new systems that can be exploited.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
There are ways to prevent exploitation. When I say a DM has never been available to help me in those situations, I mean in eight years.. They're people too with their own lives and timezones, and frankly we lack enough active ones. Something to help players with a common bug shouldn't be so readily dismissed.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
I will for note state this is not something abused in Arelith, and those that are caught doing so, the promise of a months ban for the infraction, just ain't worth it.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »
For an alternative viewpoint I can say it is absolutely abused on Arelith, and frequently, from what I observed during the few months I recently played.

That being said I still think it's a useful tool, and I think the potential for abuse could definitely be limited with a few tweaks that I don't think Arelith currently employs.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 08:19:01 AM »
This bug only affects certain specific areas (areas where there are inaccessible cliffs at the edge of the map), so it'd be simpler to just alter the design of concerned areas to make these cliffs accessible. It'd be more productive if players reported where it happens when it happens to them.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »
It's not just cliffs, but corners of walls, bits of walls that jut out from the edges, inn doors, miscellenous placeable objects, crypt area edges that align next to a hole. Hells, even Borval saw me get stuck up on one of the two tower plinths of the gate between Midway & the Village of Barovia due to being pushed by the door. On a side note - it's a walkable spot up there! A trap door and a doorway and stairs leading up to it would be awesome for the view for either side and guards that manned those towers.

There are many ways to get stuck. Easiest way to make this @makesafe work is if it ported to an OOC area after a long timer where you could then return to your last stored safe location or faction base, (not last rested location though), and it was only useable once per reset.

The timer and once per reset would deter people trying to use it as a means of fast travel. I think this would be the only thing people would try and could abuse this way for, so logs could be kept of people that use it and recorded, if it's used too often could warrant questioning the person using it by bringing up the logs. If they're very good at legitimately getting stuck then you have someone you could talk directly to on bug fixes on how they get stuck.

Trying the other various means of getting unstuck that I'd listed earlier would still be the preferable method than having to do-over from a faction base / safe location point.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:36:19 PM by zDark Shadowz »