You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Is the game too dark for you?  (Read 2009 times)

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
Is the game too dark for you?
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:16:26 AM »
While this isn't Arelith I wanna share this shader made by one of the Devs that make the game better to be seen.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1353237605

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Is the game too dark for you?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:12:52 AM »
Each and every person plays as they see fit. I'd not recommend that shader because the server's setting gains when playing in a dark atmosphere. Gothic Horror, right? Thanks for the sharing though, someone may enjoy it.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:23:56 AM »
Each and every person plays as they see fit. I'd not recommend that shader because the server's setting gains when playing in a dark atmosphere. Gothic Horror, right? Thanks for the sharing though, someone may enjoy it.

Its not about the fear...with the gama slider gone, some areas are literally too dark to see -anything- thus for me often ruining the atmosphere when the game while designed to be dark, wasn't designed to be so black you cant see anything at all. All this does is lighten it slightly so that you can actually see what your supposed to be seeing rather then just blackness.

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
Oh for sure. The module is nigh unplayable at times with how dark it can get, which at times contributes more to slight irritation than to atmosphere. However, on the whole I think that the base gamma rating is the optimal from the server, as turning it up will make certain lighting effects (I'm looking at you, Andros) blindingly bright.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
This actually wont effect that, other then when your holding a torch...it actually looks like your holding a torch and not a dinky candle. All I can say is try it, if you don't like it, then simply unsubscribe!

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
In which cases/areas do you think it's too dark to see? In my personal experience I only struggle to see when I play a human in places that should be pitch black(underground + no source of light) or night time, which I find realistic.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
New moon time, heheh. It can get really dark outside, and some may argue it's the point- to not be able to see anything because otherwise the night wouldn't be as much of an obstacle, other than monsters (for a normal human, that is). This effect is somewhat supposed to be countered by non-human race ability to see better in the dark... Like dwarves and half-orcs. Putting (half-)elves a bit aside because they're darkvision is somewhat... bad? Instead of the purple glow you get straight grey in a ten-feet radius around yourself, which doesn't help at times.

Other than that, some people prefer to press tab, which is another kind of gaming experience (if you like challenges, switch the Tab key setting to N or something, heheh).

Would I like to try the suggested shader? Yes, and I'll try it out. Thanks for sharing.
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

Tymir

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:34:20 PM »
I play on a laptop with a very dark display - to preserve battery life.  Even with plenty of light - it can be too dark to see.  I recall on my old CRT monitor back in aught-nine, darkvision worked fine.  These days it's not sufficient thanks to my display.

So thanks!  I'll defo look into this.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 10:36:33 PM »
Glad if it can help you!

Mentfrost

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 11:48:21 PM »
I don't know the cause, but I find playing in windowed mode fixes weird contrast issues.
Login/IRC name: Mentfrost
Yuki Kimura
Mainane Smith

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
I don't know the cause, but I find playing in windowed mode fixes weird contrast issues.

Maybe it forces the game to run with the gamma settings of your display?
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »

Sadly its still far too dark for me and I play in Windows mode constantly, so this Shader helps in that sense.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »
Physically dark not plot dark sillies.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
^^^ This entirely ^^^