You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Bring back corrosion destroying armor  (Read 2149 times)

chuuch1

• Undead Slayer
Bring back corrosion destroying armor
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
I may be alone here, But I think corrosion should destroy armor/weapons like it used to... (And this is coming from someone who has lost an enchanted fullplate to corrosion in the past, lol)

Before, it was something you had to be cautious and aware of, or else face dire consequences of losing your gear completely.  Made running into those specific creatures more terrifying. 

Now, it is just a temporary minor to moderate inconvenience, just have to get your gear repaired by a smith.

This would also make Electrum/gold gilding more necessary.     

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Re: Bring back corrosion destroying armor
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
I agree...
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
As far as I know corrosion is still used. Its limitation might be the amount of monster types (oozes depending on the kind), plus an extra-step to it (corroded before being completely disolved).

So is the suggestion removing the corroded stage and introducing rust monsters to ravenloft?
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
The corrosion system is still in use, but has been modified so that it doesn’t completely destroy equipment.

Personally - I like things post-change. Especially in regard to enchanted equipment. Taking server life into account (lag, crashes, odd bugs with 20+ corrosion attacks in a round), it seemed there was an over abundance of risk considering the investment of enchanted equipment. While I think a lot of danger and realism toward the setting and source material are great - the server can be pretty punishing in some regards, especially for more casual players. Wiping out something that represents a massive time and resource investment for someone so easily, just doesn’t lead to much enjoyment for anyone - and that’s ultimately what we’re all here for.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »
The corrosion system is still in use, but has been modified so that it doesn’t completely destroy equipment.

Personally - I like things post-change. Especially in regard to enchanted equipment. Taking server life into account (lag, crashes, odd bugs with 20+ corrosion attacks in a round), it seemed there was an over abundance of risk considering the investment of enchanted equipment. While I think a lot of danger and realism toward the setting and source material are great - the server can be pretty punishing in some regards, especially for more casual players. Wiping out something that represents a massive time and resource investment for someone so easily, just doesn’t lead to much enjoyment for anyone - and that’s ultimately what we’re all here for.

+1

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
At the moment there's a few stages of corrosion before the item is forcibly unequipped, it won't eat your amulets of natural armour and rings of resistance for now.

There is also a reflex saving throw that if you can get high enough avoids your things corroding.

Slimes aren't even worth fighting as it is except to get to those iron ore rocks & seams. I haven't heard of anyone raring to fight elder black puddings yet.

Should corrosion delete equipment again? Probably. Corrosion puts the fear into losing equipment you thought was safe. It's the adventurers' true horror.

There's also people that get up the saving throws so they don't have to fear corrosion, so they won't lose their equipment...

Now rust monsters... Oh boy, if anyone hasn't fought a rust monster on a CEP-running server yet you're in for a treat. I would like to avoid that or rebuild as a Shapechanger.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
Corrosion destroying items didn't lead to fear, it just led to people completely avoiding the monsters that could potentially destroy your items. It's not like it enhanced combat or added a challenge.

haifisch021

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 06:00:10 PM »
There's a reason that nobody ever went to Ooze City

( well, actually a few )
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
Still threat’ning to devour me, opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

chuuch1

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 06:03:09 PM »
Corrosion destroying items didn't lead to fear, it just led to people completely avoiding the monsters that could potentially destroy your items. It's not like it enhanced combat or added a challenge.

I have to disagree there.  Running through the caves underneath Dverghiem and then suddenly swarmed by black puddings, pretty damn scary. 

It enhanced combat/Made it more challenging by having to figure out a different way to fight them (Spells, missile weapons, throwables and now Electrum Gilded weapons) Or just figure out a way to try and get past them without getting hit, possibly getting trapped.

And like I said earlier, it would make Electrum gilded armor/weapons almost a necessity.  Want to go to ooze city? make sure you got your Electrum gilded armor/weapons before you go. 

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »

I have to disagree there.  Running through the caves underneath Dverghiem and then suddenly swarmed by black puddings, pretty damn scary. 

It enhanced combat/Made it more challenging by having to figure out a different way to fight them (Spells, missile weapons, throwables and now Electrum Gilded weapons) Or just figure out a way to try and get past them without getting hit, possibly getting trapped.

And like I said earlier, it would make Electrum gilded armor/weapons almost a necessity.  Want to go to ooze city? make sure you got your Electrum gilded armor/weapons before you go. 

Personally, unless your really really good at making money, this hurts players more then creates immersion, this only benefits crafters and those who can grind up cash quick. I would personally avoid any part of the server I OOCly knew these existed.

chuuch1

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »
Why not just get your equipment gilded with Electrum, then you wouldn't have to avoid said areas. 

The current system benefits crafters as well, as you have to bring corroded equipment to a crafter to fix.

I do think it creates more immersion as  in order to go to these places, you need to seek out a Smith. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:23:04 PM by chuuch1 »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »
You can't gild everything in electrum.

Wholesome Memester

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 07:49:21 PM »
You can gild a weapon in electrum and wear chitin. Unfortunately, it does eat your accessories if they have metal materials.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »
Gilding jewels in gold, silver and electrum...? There an idea going out there. Gold does give +1 influence on equipment...
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 12:31:01 AM »
But there already *is* a rust monster in the module.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:37 AM »

I can count on one hand how many times I decided I wanted to fight a corrosive enemy. One time I went to Ooze City with a Druid, and a gang of dudes, post-patch and we actually enjoyed it. Before that, we wouldn't even bother with mundane puddings because the risk was just too great compared to the reward, when we could just.. You know, go kill Wererats, or Werewolves, or Vampires, or something significantly more rewarding and less costly than insert-corrosion-monster. Unless you just like handicapping yourself for the chuckles, most people adventure on a risk/reward ratio, whether that's loot or XP. Most of those monsters didn't even confer decent XP, and there was absolutely no loot. In return, you potentially lose your echanted plate armor that cost you two levels, your sword, your amulets and rings -- And considering that a nontrivial number of players that've had a character longer than 8 months are utilizing out-of-circulation or limited circulation/rare jewelry to supplement their enchanted gear, you're basically telling them that whatever those corrosion monsters have to offer, is worth losing equipment, which in this instance, is harder to replace than their character's own lives.

Wholesome Memester

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 08:00:16 AM »
I operate on that risk/reward ratio also and it'd just be easier to avoid it entirely because it's not like we got bonus loot for handicapping yourself by fighting naked or if you're lucky, with an unenchanted suit of chitin armor and a plain chitin 1 fire damage club that you aren't even spec'd for with no belt/boots/rings because they're metal.

The only times I had to willingly wallow in slimes was for someone I liked trying to grind alchemy.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 08:54:24 AM »
The only times I had to willingly wallow in slimes was for someone I liked

TMI

:D

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »
Ooze city wearing electrum gilded steel plates lined with gargoyles hide is actually fun.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Wholesome Memester

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
The only times I had to willingly wallow in slimes was for someone I liked

TMI

:D

;~;