Author Topic: Bodak lining. Mundane and enchanted on various pieces of gear.  (Read 1571 times)

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
Bodak lining. Mundane and enchanted on various pieces of gear.
« on: November 22, 2018, 05:01:43 AM »
Hello,

This topic is mostly aimed to hear a clarification from a dev team about few nuances of enchanting and point out what I consider to be a flaw in balance of enchanting sytem.
It doesn't seems to be possible to fully explain what I've encountered without revealing certain aspects of enchanting and properties of the items, so I'll hide the details under the spoiler. Those who do feel like they'd better to find it out IG, might want to stop reading this topic.
Spoiler: show
Today I decide to give a try and enchant a pair of metal boots (made from adamantine) lined with bodak skin. This lining was choosen because before I've seen a result of enchanting applied to full plate lined with the same material.
By the default set of armor been granted +3 to saves vs death spells, which was improved to +5 and 10/- negative energy resistance, which is huge, truly nice bonus in environment full of negative energy, undead, necromancy.
Frankly, I've been surprised when I looked at the result I got from boots' enchanting. By default boots had +2 saves vs death, which improved to +3 only and granted no resistance to negative energy.
I did not expect to achieve exatly the same properties set of armor had on boots, I understand that smaller parts of gear should have lesser properties, but the properties improve according to some sort of general progression where attributes either multiply by two, either two points add to the initial number. (+3 discipline becomes +6, +1 ac becomes +3, +2 becomes +4, plain items without bonuses become +2, etc.) This lining on boots doesn't maintain this progression.

My question are: what I've encountered is flaw in the design? Is it a bug?

If it's a bug, will it be fixed? And if it's a designed feature, is there any chance it'll be reworked? My idea was: the boots going to grant +4 saves vs death and 3 or 5 point of resistance to negative energy. Such properties can compete with troll lining. Enchanted bodak lining on boots, as it's implemented now, seems to be almost entirely useless, because of how easy to get your hands on death ward potions. Another reason is minor magnification (just +1 save) of the saving throw granted by lining.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Bodak lining. Mundane and enchanted on various pieces of gear.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »
Hello.

It seems to me that your boots have been correctly enchanted as we designed it. It is true that the bonus on enchanted armors are more significant than on boots. The negative energy resistance bonus is indeed a great reason to enchant such an armor. I'll double check if the boots should receive some, I don't think they should, but I'll get this corrected if this turns out to be a mistake.

On the matter of saving throws, armors are granted a universal +2 whereas boots are granted +1. Those are the bonuses that respectively bumps your ST vs Death to +5 on armor, and +3 on boots. This part is not going to change.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Disorder

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »
The negative energy resistance bonus is indeed a great reason to enchant such an armor. I'll double check if the boots should receive some, I don't think they should, but I'll get this corrected if this turns out to be a mistake.

Thank you for reply, it'll be great if someone will look into it.
Even if it's not a designed property for boots, it would be great to add it anyway.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
If that's the only bonus the bodak lining gives to boots, it would be redundant to have full bodak lining on your kit, as it wouldn't stack with your breastplate.

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »
I think the intention is that we don't rely on one lining for our kits, and mix and match depending on our own individual needs