You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: A few tech questions for old NwN player returning to the fold.  (Read 1992 times)

Griever

• New to the Mists
A few tech questions for old NwN player returning to the fold.
« on: November 17, 2018, 11:07:23 PM »
Hi everyone, sorry of this should be in another spot.

I still have my diamond disks, is it absolutely necessary to buy the Enhanced Edition?

I've heard horror stories about how it performs. From the posts here, seems you all have had your share of issues too.

I've read a good amount of the forum and wiki. I got a good idea about IC stuff, just wanna make sure I won't wanna throw my monitor put the window, lol.

It looks like there is a lot of work put into this server and hope to be a welcome edition to it.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
Re: A few tech questions for old NwN player returning to the fold.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 11:20:56 PM »
Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition are treated as separate games, so unfortunately your Diamond edition will not get you onto the server. So, yes, it will be necessary to purchase the EE for Prisoners of the Mist.

NWN:EE has some issues but most people are able to play in a fairly stable manner, save the occasional disconnects or weird crashes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:23:24 PM by DM Nocturne »

Griever

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 11:59:49 PM »
Ok, thank you for the quick response. Is any of the DLC needed or recommended? Again, sorry if this part is posted somewhere else, more so just wanting to make sure I'm understanding things properly and not spending money unnecessarily.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »
Get EE on Steam, then you can just download the workshop, the workshop can be found here:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1404156776

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 12:03:43 AM »
Ok, thank you for the quick response. Is any of the DLC needed or recommended? Again, sorry if this part is posted somewhere else, more so just wanting to make sure I'm understanding things properly and not spending money unnecessarily.

You should not have to pay for anything but the base game.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Griever

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 12:15:57 AM »
Thank you again. Hope to see you online soon  :)

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 05:30:19 PM »
Maybe it's just a placebo effect but disabling environment mapping on creatures and editing the nwn.ini texture memory to 256 has completely stopped all crashes I used to receive.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
Maybe it's just a placebo effect but disabling environment mapping on creatures and editing the nwn.ini texture memory to 256 has completely stopped all crashes I used to receive.

This is not a placebo effect. It genuinely helps run EE smoothly and I invite all players to adjust their .ini file accordingly.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Griever

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 05:52:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that, where exactly would that file be? It's been a while, haha.

Also, if memory serves there is a way to walk and type, could someone remind me of that process?

Thanks again for all the help!  :D

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 06:00:23 AM »
The nwn.ini file should be in your C:\Documents\Neverwinter Nights folder or wherever you installed your game (for Windows systems at least). You can easily edit it with notepad. The environment mapping is straight in the video settings in the game. It is still recommended to keep all video settings to a minimum.

To walk and "talk", use the command @follows nearby another player you will automatically follow said player and can then type texts while you move.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Griever

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »
OH, got it. I was looking in the steam folders, didn't know there were a whole other set of folders outside of that. Thanks!