Author Topic: Unable to create a new character.  (Read 1300 times)

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
Unable to create a new character.
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
I cannot appear to create a new character since I switched laptops.  I have verified that my game installation and documents folders have full access permissions, but every attempt I make at creating a new character is met with 'an error has occured while attempting to generate a new character file', rendering the character not created and it is driving me batty.  I turn to you, oh technical overlords, and ask for your aid.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

zDark Shadowz

Re: Unable to create a new character.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 09:43:09 PM »
Do you have full access to your directories? Sounds like a Read/Write problem.

If it's not that, I had something similar happen to my sisters' game that I will need to find my report for from the EFU forums.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 09:51:57 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »
I tried to make a new character from a test account, and instead of generating an error, it simply said 'no you' and switched back to a blank character list.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 09:51:11 PM »
Alright- I resolved the issue by setting steam to run permanently in administrator mode. If you attempt to change the R/W properties of NWN folders on your own, steam will reconvert them to read only automatically. 

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=688422.0

Last post on this one was what was relevant for my sister if this helps future people with similar problems.