You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion: Animal hide traders  (Read 1315 times)

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
Suggestion: Animal hide traders
« on: November 17, 2018, 01:31:46 PM »
I suggest that we add merchants that deal in animal hides and pelts in 100% the same way as Petre does in Vallaki, in method and pricing, but in other domains. For example the mist camp, Port or Blaustein.

• Animal hides are not simply a low level item. High level monsters drop them, and there are not always crafters to sell them to.
  • There is not a embarassment of riches in valid methods of making money. Having this path at hand would be nice.
  • Placing an NPC like this in a Mist Camp related area like Port or Blaustein would help in high level characters having less reasons to go to Vallaki and disturbing the low level stuff there.
  • Fur trade was a huge and important business in our own history. It makes all sorts of sense for it to be a serious business in fantasy as well, especially considering the exotic pelts available. Links below for reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_fur_trade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5wTsYAh94
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Suggestion: Animal hide traders
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
+1

The Mist Camp and the Tser Pool would be ideal. Petre would not be the odd Vistana who buys them.

A lot of wolf/worg spawns are around VoB, but the furs wind up going to waste.

They would generate more money, but the overall impact would be small because by the time PCs are in these areas the relative value of a few fang is much less than in Vallaki.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
Hells, the tanneries in Port would also make complete IC sense.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »
Completely agree. I remember suggesting this a long time ago but you made a far more compelling argument than I had.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 10:27:55 AM »
Also let's not forget how fur trapping, and furriers/fur traders are kind of a big deal cornerstone to the economies of many of the lower technology level civilizations in the land of mists. That's like one of the very key jobs a more primitive culture is going to have as an option. Not everybody is gonna be able to just be a farmer, noble or a soldier. This is especially the case for the more rugged, outdoorsy wilderness domains (I'm looking squarely at you Vostorok (Vorostok?), Verbrek and Valachan!).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:30:20 AM by Silas Rotleaf »

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:02 PM »
I'm all for fur traders elsewhere. They are already sellable to merchants, but not to as high a degree as Petre buys them.

I suspect it gets closer if you took all the merchant feats to about half the value, and MC buys ancient dire pelts for something like 375 without merchant feats.

My character is lvl 13 and hunts and sells pelts as his gold crutch in Vallaki. This should be a low level area but I spend my money on travel & making potions and trying to get my smithing up on steel banded mail crafts. I get more money selling pelts than selling products of herbalism & smithing because it's rare any low level players have money in Vallaki.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 05:53:41 PM »
Basically, all IC tanneries should buy furs for better prices.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »
Basically, all IC tanneries should buy furs for better prices.

Agreed.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »
It's not a bad idea but the fur trader is mostly a crutch for low levels. At higher levels, we'd rather encourage trade between players, rather than player to NPC.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 10:55:32 PM »
  • Animal hides are not simply a low level item. High level monsters drop them, and there are not always crafters to sell them to.
I think this illustrates the point of why this should be a good addition. Crafters aren't in abundance (mostly because crafting is a pain and a half other than herbalism and alchemy) and no one has the time nor desire to carry bags of pelts for the eventual Messiah.

In essence, a lot of fur is wasted remaining on monsters' corpses from my experience.