Author Topic: Shifting Starting Zones  (Read 917 times)

Kaedweni_Knight

• New to the Mists
Shifting Starting Zones
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:35:49 PM »
I feel the server encompasses a very wide area - vast amounts of areas that see little player use at all, besides the occasional Port, Mist Camp, Vallaki hubs; however there are many areas that are beautiful that deserved to get used more IE; Krofburg. My suggestion may seem simple but I know it's not an easy feat to pull off, this would make large amounts of varying new characters and see that the server is used in more interesting manners. I know this is actually a very big change and a very big suggestion but I think it would garner more player attention and new characters, factions would be used more. - and the payoff would be good in a number of ways one is seeing more areas used.

>Starting areas shift every six months or year and are opened up with a NCE event, a series of events or major update or however the dev teams want to play it.
>A set of predefined, 3-4 Starting Regions including Vallaki, perhaps Krofburg? Maybe Somewhere in the Port.
>These new starting areas would be detailed with more dungeons, and content. Richness.

Any addon thoughts to this? I think it would be interesting to see shifting starting zones that happen every six months, it would open up the server in a lot of ways and perhaps make some new big hubs for an amount of time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:39:26 PM by Kaedweni_Knight »

Boots

• Princess Postledash
  • Dark Power
  • The Bard Queen
Re: Shifting Starting Zones
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
Jumping on the bandwagon somewhat but not really because it takes a lot of work to actually make these changes, I think that instead of having the starting area change every few months or whatever it would be better to just have options when choosing where to start your character. Playing a character native to Dementlieu for example, its a nightmare trying to run a level 2 over to Port.

Kaedweni_Knight

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 07:42:47 PM »
Jumping on the bandwagon somewhat but not really because it takes a lot of work to actually make these changes, I think that instead of having the starting area change every few months or whatever it would be better to just have options when choosing where to start your character. Playing a character native to Dementlieu for example, its a nightmare trying to run a level 2 over to Port.

Yeah it be cool, they could obiviously make a neighboring town perhaps or hamlet that could be used. I'm not too super familiar with the lore. I know it's a lot of work to ask but it would see more parts of the server used more frequently then they already are, seeing Krofburg used in this manner would be fantastic.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 07:46:01 PM »
The dungeons kind of need to be built first, unfortunately; there's a serious dearth of dungeons for levels 2 - 6 outside of Vallaki.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »
The amount of dev work it would take to replace the starting area would be staggering; much more than you might think. We've discussed it in the past and decided strongly against it. As to starting in Dementlieu, most DMs will gladly port you, although it can be fun and satisfying to play out your first few levels trying to get back from Vallaki IC.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.