You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Improving Barbarian Class Feats  (Read 9055 times)

zDark Shadowz

Re: Improving Barbarian Class Feats
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
... looking at the walls of text we can say okay, scrap that idea off my list I gave.

Mild damage immunity while raging, or vampiric regen while raging as a kind of blood frenzy thing, still are ideas. Or rage duration increased by one round for every enemy slain during a rage. With maybe a risk of Confusion status if that builds up too high. As a side thing for all classes maybe Second Wind could do more HP if you aren't bleeding out, it seems very lacklustre. EDIT: Unless you are raging in which case this has a much better chance of picking you back off the ground to back up and drink a Heal potion, so it seems we had something similar anyway that was better for barbarians in a certain situation for this.

If the majority believe that barbarian feat choices don't need improving at all then don't worry about making a wall of text to explain why. ( :) ) Can just say yay or nay if there isn't alternate suggestions being offered in the reply...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:08:58 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 01:32:34 PM »
Honestly, not dying from Barbarian Rage wearing off seems a little cheesy.

In what I understand about Barbarians, and the sort of primal rage they tap in to within their own willpower -- it can and should kill you. If you are barely hanging on by a few threads in the first place (unconsciousness) and you were forced into bleed out, your rage is still coursing through your veins. Once that burst of energy goes away, your body is no longer able to sustain itself beyond the limits it was just pushed (CON alteration), so you die.

If you are unsure you can take your current opponent at the start of combat with rage on, then don't rage. If you think you can beat someone with that extra edge, rage. Using rage at the start of combat in a sticky situation is all but bound to result in death. Forcing your body to go beyond its limits, in the sense of fantasy and even in real life, is always a risk. I don't see why this should be changed.

Blood frenzy sounds neat, as an aside.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:34:57 PM by Phantasia »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
Think of it this way (spoilers ahead if you still haven't seen Gladiator somehow);

Spoiler: show
Commodus stabs Maximus before they have their big showdown (because he's a big coward), so Maximus is going to die.

At this point, Maximus is bloomin' angry (not just angry but for the sake of my illustration it'll do) and takes the guy out.

He kills Commodus and finally has his vengeance, and as all the adrenaline wears off he succumbs to his wounds.

The rage sustained him, but his wounds were fatal so it kept him going long enough to get the job done.

Maximus unfortunately didn't have a cleric or bard on hand to top up his health pool.

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 05:01:54 PM »
I agree that all classes can use variation. As far as barbarian power goes though, they are perfectly fine in my opinion. Both the sr path and a different path is excelent for them. They are already great tanks buffed up without hardly needing any feats for this due to the amazing hp and uncanny dodge.

Simply put. In terms of power barbarians are just fine.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »
Here's a tip for surviving dropping while in Barb rage; Regeneration potions will continue to apply if you drop below 0 HP (as long as you wouldn't have died outright so buffs fade, that is), thus offering the opportunity to hopefully get back on your feet and survive before your Rage drops.

If you don't have Regeneration potions, then find me IC for a range of healing potion options to match your needs ;)
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2018, 03:40:52 PM »
Quote from: Arawn link=topic=49777.msg610915 #msg610915 date=1542235989
I’m not entirely certain barb15/sorc5 is what I would call an advantage over a straight barb.

But Krunk can cast fist now!
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
Also it's rather daft for people to make assumptions where there is oppurtunity for improvement. Regardless of upgrades there is laways something to improve or better.

This doesn't mean anything. "There is always something to improve" -- not arbitrarily. Strong things don't need to be further improved while other things languish. Weaker classes should be improved first before strong classes are boosted. This isn't "daft", this simply trying to keep an eye on balance.

If it doesnt mean anything then why comment? At the moment it may not need to improve per opinions. But, it can be I don't see the point to this comment. As for weaker classes I dont know what is xonsidered a weak class in Ravenloft. Dont think I ever heard of weak classes till this came up

Regardless of enormous evidance not all people have the advantages of others or specialities. Some not as equally privy.

I'm not really clear on your point here. Are you trying to imply that your opinion is worth more than other people's because you explore sub-optimal scenarios? We shouldn't ignore evidence of what a pure Barb is capable of simply because some people choose not to minmax their characters.

Again dont think my opinion is higher than others. We simply noted the same thing just in diffrence of opinion.

I've seen high level Pure Barbs, they're hella strong now. A level 20 Barb with Reckless Rage can pop +10 Strength with one click.  No-one else can do this. They're terrifying and can challenge any class.

Also, to address an earlier and incorrect point by Craught, Spell Resistance from Mystic Rage is much better than what is obtained from a Greater Spell Resistance Potion. A Greater Spell Resistance Potion gives SR 21 (12 + 9 caster levels.) Mystic Rage gives a maximum of Spell Resistance 32. This is a huge difference.

You lose both of these things when you multiclass, so I don't see what's so jaw-dropping about the suggestion of staying pure class. It's not like pure Fighter, which is weaker than Rogue 5/Fighter 15 in virtually every way that matters; there are clear and evident advantages to Barb 20 now.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

GoblinKing

• New to the Mists
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
So why not change the bonus to constitution to a flat bonus to a fort and temporal hit points as other servers do?

Also, I find most barbarian only feat to be overwhelmingly weak. Particularly, because most of them seem to justify themselves by their contribution to the SR feat, but the sr feat is quite useless if you aren´t a caliban or a half-orc.

foxtale

• Society of the Erudite
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
Barbarians are really meant to drop down when their rage HP go away. The CON bonus doesn't simulate that their body somehow gets more beefy and resilient to injury, it simulates their pure raging determination to go on and stay standing even when their physical body is in the actual condition of a badly impaired corpse.

In my RP, I make a point of complimenting barbs for staying on two feet the way they do, really, assuming it would be visual to others that they are fighting on with wounds that really should have killed them by now, even by standards of their own muscle mass.

I go out of my way to mention this because considering it from this perspective, Barbarians are just that much more epic as opposed to... just having some more HP and winning PvE better than they do already?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:20:02 AM by foxtale »
Mareike - "The alternative is saving only myself. I will go to any length for this."
Enora - "The Weald belongs to they that can take it."
Felise - "!em ton era uoY"

GoblinKing

• New to the Mists
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »
How are they "meant"  to drop down?  What was the name of the ability again? Suicidal rage? Should  All recent editions of dungeon and dragons  and pathfinder abandoned the constitution bonus and changed it with things that actually help them to stay alive. I just can´t understand the argument that barbarians are supposed to die.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
This topic is going in circles. Let’s end it here for now.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.