Author Topic: Shared XP suggestions  (Read 235 times)

zDark Shadowz

• Undead Master
Shared XP suggestions
« on: December 25, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »
No quoting other people in walls of txt plz :)

So at the moment the XP rate is set up so that any more than 5 players, the XP becomes reduced (by whatever factor unknown) and that it's based on whoever is the highest nearby with lower levels getting a slight bonus but, still drawing from that base line highest character there.

This leads to awkward situations where a level 10 for instance is fighting skeleton knights alongside level 6-7s and completely ruining XP gain (especially when no one knows there is a lvl 10+ around or the lvl 10+ turned up later when everyone else is capable) or someone is ghosting others while invisible or stealthed as a higher level and this considerably lowers XP as well,  or when two separate groups suddenly converge on the same location either by alternate routes or because it's a common area and no one wants to leave.

I don't expect any player habits to change any time soon, nor the rates of XP gain, but it would be nice if the 'Experience Gained' message contained more detail so that others are aware of what is happening with their gain due to the presence of high levels, known or unlnown, concealed or revealed, and when party members exceed the recommended number of five.

Suggestions for alert messages:

Players that are fighting with a 4+ level gap are alerted alongside Experience Gained that the lower level is receiving a penalty somehow. Something like "Minor Experience Gained. Reason - Level discrepancy" or "Minor Experience Gained. Reason - Too many party members" once the penalty to XP received is more than I don't know, 30% compared to what the character would have received by themselves or travelling with similar level players in a smaller group.

Something, anything to raise awareness about XP progression so that people aren't simply trolling others, or become more aware that 'Hey, maybe I should be doing something more worthwhile for my time.'

Not everyone checks the forums to look at what affects XP gain, nor do we want to ask everyone IG OOC in tells: "What level are you?"

There are arguments for roleplay & doing everything IC sure, and I won't refute those, but I think that people should have more detailed Experience Gained messages so they can see why they may not be receiving as much as they should so they can adjust their play styles accordingly to the benefit of everyone else with that additional bit of information.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 11:46:36 PM by zDark Shadowz »
Currently playing Karaz Steel, the Knave with the Glaive.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Shared XP suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 10:07:59 PM »
We've purposely made the XP system opaque so people can't figure out how it works. Most of what people say is based on guesswork and hearsay; few people truly know how XP is calculated.

Barlo Neverwitz

• New to the Mists
Re: Shared XP suggestions
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:03:20 PM »
We all understand the reasoning for being  opaque, but I agree that there should be some hint that the XP is being docked heavily by certain things. (Done great job with blind-drive stuff and XP by creatures fought).

EX:
too many people: "you feel under challenged due to excessive help"
high level character near: "can't learn much when someone is doing your work"

I have had numerous instances where me and few other low level characters were clearing a dungeon and a random person joined and ruined the IC play because we had no way of telling he was ruining our time spent on this game. Also had the same when an entire group showed up. IC I can't explain why they should go elsewhere or find a challenge suited for them.
(I have full-time job, so I want my time in game to be efficient as well as enjoying the great RP)

I want to be clear, I don't want to know how the XP system works, just a hint on what is holding back our characters. This way we can act more IC of being around proper number and others our level. thus, engaging the world the DMs have spent time weaving together for our enjoyment.