Suggestions, Feedback & Bug Reports (OOC) > Module Feedback and Suggestions

Revisiting Tridents

(1/8) > >>

DM Erebus:
Hello!
I'd like the Dev Team to take another look at Tridents, because as they stand they are very, very bad.

A spear is a Simple weapon that does 1d8 damage, has a crit range of 20 and multiplier x3 and weighs 3lbs.

Tridents are Martial weapons that do 1d8 damage, have a crit range of 20, multiplier x2 and weighs 5lbs.

This tridents are more restricted, heavier and less effective than spears.

Now, having these items in the game world for players to use out of the sheer joy of it is fine, but if we're going to have them, shouldn't they be at least as competitive as a spear, or ideally slightly more effective, as they are heavier and more restricted.

Tridents could have their damage increased to 1d10 (they are Large, afterall), or their crit brought to 19-20 x3, slightly better than the spear.

Philos:
Could also consider giving them imp disarm as they are also effective trapping weapons.

DM Erebus:

--- Quote from: Philos on November 03, 2018, 10:32:20 AM ---Could also consider giving them imp disarm as they are also effective trapping weapons.

--- End quote ---

:thumbup:

zDark Shadowz:
It's almost as if it's a sub-par gladiatorial weapon.

I can't find many instances of armies / militia being outfitted with tridents for proper wars or any benefits to using a trident.

Apparently it was used in Ancient Rome with a net as a parody of fishing. Not all weapons are going to be as effective as another.

Its primary use would be defending against close combat weapons that would be stuck between the tips, going by the dangpa, as Koreans are the only people I can find that actually used tridents for warfare.

For this, as a large category weapon by default, it should? already benefit from a significantly increased AB using Improved Disarm against smaller (close combat) weapons.

It's a great weapon if your family came from a fishing background, or a gladiatorial one, as a plot device it's better than 'I have a spear', but the extra tips were also designed so that the tridents wouldn't get stuck inside someone, as compared to a spear, and it requires training to use the trident effectively. I think the default stats are pretty accurate.

Always_a_hero:
(Was writing that message then zDark Shadow added a post so sorry of it doesn't follow that argument)

I'd like to put in that some weapon properties were change on Ravenloft, such as the greatsword which does 1d12 instead of 2d6 or flails which have 19-20 crit range instead of 20, for those who are unaware.

As for comparing a spear with the trident, it would come back to comparing what martial weapons offer over simple, which resumes to -either- higher damage die, increase crit multiplier or bigger crit range, along lighter weight.

Currently, as said prior, the trident properties are :

--- Quote from: CosmicRay on November 03, 2018, 07:35:52 AM ---Tridents are Martial weapons that do 1d8 damage, have a crit range of 20, multiplier x2 and weighs 5lbs.

--- End quote ---

However, though I'm not certain, the spear and trident size would be modified to medium as they are usable in one hand. Boosting the damage to 1d10 would then make it stronger than a longsword and almost as strong as a karana/bastard sword, which are exotic.

My suggestion would then be to make the trident x3, as increasing the crit range to 19-20 and lowering the weight to 4 pds would only make it a cousin of the longsword.

I would also support the disarm suggestion. On that note, could all weapons giving disarm as a feat be updated to give improved disarm, if that's not already a thing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version