Author Topic: Permanent @mark  (Read 2068 times)

King Pickle

• Undead Master
Permanent @mark
« on: November 01, 2018, 02:12:18 AM »
Did  we get rid of the perma mark command?
Why?

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Permanent @mark
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 05:02:31 AM »
It still exists as @markpermanent I believe. The regular @mark was made temporary for performance reasons, I understand that abusing permanent marks can cause server issues.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Edward

• Lord of the Dead
  • Dark Lord
  • The Bereaved & Defunct.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 06:19:31 AM »
Didn’t know this was a thing.

King Pickle

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 08:15:27 AM »
Cheers! I tested and @markpermanent works. I just didn't remember the right command and the list of  special commands given by @read 12 doesn't have it.
Would be probably a good idea to add it there as folks seem unaware of it.
I asked a DM today and he said it there was no such command.
Yeah.
Would probably be a good idea to add it to the list.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »
I mean... I could understand why it ain't in the list.
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »
It still exists as @markpermanent I believe. The regular @mark was made temporary for performance reasons, I understand that abusing permanent marks can cause server issues.

And the reason it isn't documented is explained in this post. The command would mostly be for MPCs leaving scenic descriptions of their murderpasting.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »
That or you wouldn't want people to abuse the perma marks for actually non-permanent things such as a head on the tip of a spike, traces leading to the location of a body, or even ridiculous, non-immersive lines like "Bob was here" where you'd need a DM to erase it with godly erasers.

I know I'm making it dramatic and people having MPCs could have good use of it, but I feel like making it known (for those not seeing this post) can come with some risks.

However, it would be good to review the list of "lost command" has I've actually come up with a same issue concerning teleporting to the OOC room. The command wouldn't show in the "R" menu when in the vistanis' tent. A DM helped me after a bit, but even today I don't remember what it was, heh.
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice ŕ la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
That or you wouldn't want people to abuse the perma marks for actually non-permanent things such as a head on the tip of a spike, traces leading to the location of a body, or even ridiculous, non-immersive lines like "Bob was here" where you'd need a DM to erase it with godly erasers.

I thought the "permanent" marks could still be bashed/erased?

They just don't reset when the area resets is my understanding, but only when the server resets?

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
As Iridni said, you can erase permanent marks. They are only permanent in the sense that they won't vanish when the area resets. As for porting to the OOC room, it only shows up in your rest menu if you're in a safe area. So get into an inn room and it should show up. This is most likely done so that you can't do things like port out of the wilderness to wait out the night and avoid its dangers before porting back in at sunrise.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »
The visitor camp in the mist camp is also a safe area, at least it was last i checked. If that is the one Always_a_hero was refering to.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

King Pickle

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »

And the reason it isn't documented is explained in this post. The command would mostly be for MPCs leaving scenic descriptions of their murderpasting.

Oh bollocks. MPCs aren't the only ones who need to leave scenes behind.
Also they CAN'T leave them behind if they don't know the command for it.
The command used to be documented and people didn't go crazy spamming them everywhere. I rarely ever saw one.
Marks can't cause any more issues than player made placeables. Which people DO spam and never clean up after them selves.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice ŕ la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
Reading the post in which Soren announced the change makes me think its lack of being added to documentation was an oversight, rather than intentional:

https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=433.msg478306#msg478306

I don't think Devs would create systems and make them available for player use with the intention we not use them. AMPCs do have tools usable only by them, and if that were the intent here, it would be similarly restricted IMO.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 01:17:39 PM »
Yeah, you can use mark permanent. Just don't be the guy who spoils it for everyone else!
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 05:44:54 AM »

Oh bollocks. MPCs aren't the only ones who need to leave scenes behind.
Also they CAN'T leave them behind if they don't know the command for it.
The command used to be documented and people didn't go crazy spamming them everywhere. I rarely ever saw one.
Marks can't cause any more issues than player made placeables. Which people DO spam and never clean up after them selves.

I said "mostly". It's not an exaggeration to say that MPCs leave more "scenic marks" than the average player. They do.

Watch your tone, please.

Yeah, you can use mark permanent. Just don't be the guy who spoils it for everyone else!

Cheers to this!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 05:47:00 AM by BattleCupcake »

mappinger

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »
What is the command to erase one's own mark? I don't find this spelled out anywhere. -thx

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »
I don't think there is a command, you have to either clean it away through the dialogue option or punch it.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo