Author Topic: Jail time and IC punishments....  (Read 4146 times)

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
Jail time and IC punishments....
« on: October 19, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »
Now I am all for IC punishments, so long as they remain entirely interactive...the one thing I don't enjoy is sitting in a cell 20-40 RL mins at a time without rp because the system is so bogged down in what they are doing that 3 garda cannot keep at least 1 with a prisoner for RP purposes. Before the cry of IC actions = IC consequences, I agree with that, but not at the cost of OOC consequences. I don't come here to sit and stare at my screen and do nothing for 40+ mins at a time, I come here to interact with the social world, do things, and have fun. This isn't fun. If the player MUST be locked up and you have 2-3 Garda, leave someone with the prisoner for RP. Or find something to keep them busy so they aren't bored for the next hour while you do the investigations and such....Honestly its not much fun.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
Re: Jail time and IC punishments....
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:26:33 PM »
Really, all I can say is “Maybe don’t do bad things and if you do? Maybe don’t get caught.” Actions do come with consequences and sometimes criminals sit in cells for days on end, so I’m not sure why you’re complaining about 40 minutes. The laws were posted literally yesterday so I feel like every criminal now knows what they’re in for.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Really, all I can say is “Maybe don’t do bad things and if you do? Maybe don’t get caught.” Actions do come with consequences and sometimes criminals sit in cells for days on end, so I’m not sure why you’re complaining about 40 minutes. The laws were posted literally yesterday so I feel like every criminal now knows what they’re in for.

OOC Consequences are never great for IC actions, I am sorry, but if I want IRL consequences I will go commit a RL crime. RP is a MAJOR for this server, and it should NEVER be pushed aside.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »
OOC Consequences are never great for IC actions, I am sorry, but if I want IRL consequences I will go commit a RL crime. RP is a MAJOR for this server, and it should NEVER be pushed aside.

You can still roleplay in jail, even if alone. No one is interrupting your roleplay by jailing your character. Now, you may not enjoy solo roleplay as much but it's still roleplay. It's not an OOC time out, it's an IC time out for your character and you are free to roleplay it however you want.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »

Yes but you can’t expect not to get punished for committing heinous crimes. I do not see enforcing punishments as pushing the RP aside, I see it as very clearly enforcing the RP.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
I mean, you don't have to sit there and RP being in jail.  You could just log/play another character until your sentence is up and have them OOCly be in touch with you on that.  I once had a character jailed for a real life week, it never even occurred to me that I should sit there and RP staring at the wall that whole week.  And I didn't EXPECT the Garda players to drop everything to come stand at my cell door and stare at me if they didn't want to.  I was thankful that they'd jailed me instead of killed me/bountied me.  It was a pretty "easy" way to serve my time and rejoin society on my PC without being a wanted criminal.

And seriously, this argument comes up all the time and I never understand it.  The Garda just can't win.  When I was in the Garda, people got REALLY mad about being put in jail for any length of time (20-40 minutes is less than an ingame night).  So we started allowing them to pay fines instead.  Well, they got mad about being fined.  So we made them chop wood.  Guess what?  Not good enough, that was not "fun" either.  So we put them in jail but had a player stand there and RP with them - BUT, people don't like "prisoner RP" and would just respond with lower case "yes" and "ok" to the blocks of text I was throwing at them.  So we just started beating people and letting them go, or corpsing them and putting them in jail, and unsurprisingly they didn't like that either.

So what do you think they should do?  Stand there in jail with you the whole time?  Your character is the one being punished for his actions, not theirs.  I guess they could have just corpsed you and put you in the charnel house (which probably would have taken you more than 20 minutes to recover from, plus you'd have a bounty for your escape when one of your buds got you out) or made you pay a hefty fine.  You're basically getting off with no punishment here if all they did was jail you.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
I mean, you don't have to sit there and RP being in jail.  You could just log/play another character until your sentence is up and have them OOCly be in touch with you on that.  I once had a character jailed for a real life week, it never even occurred to me that I should sit there and RP staring at the wall that whole week.  And I didn't EXPECT the Garda players to drop everything to come stand at my cell door and stare at me if they didn't want to.  I was thankful that they'd jailed me instead of killed me/bountied me.  It was a pretty "easy" way to serve my time and rejoin society on my PC without being a wanted criminal.

And seriously, this argument comes up all the time and I never understand it.  The Garda just can't win.  When I was in the Garda, people got REALLY mad about being put in jail for any length of time (20-40 minutes is less than an ingame night).  So we started allowing them to pay fines instead.  Well, they got mad about being fined.  So we made them chop wood.  Guess what?  Not good enough, that was not "fun" either.  So we put them in jail but had a player stand there and RP with them - BUT, people don't like "prisoner RP" and would just respond with lower case "yes" and "ok" to the blocks of text I was throwing at them.  So we just started beating people and letting them go, or corpsing them and putting them in jail, and unsurprisingly they didn't like that either.

So what do you think they should do?  Stand there in jail with you the whole time?  Your character is the one being punished for his actions, not theirs.  I guess they could have just corpsed you and put you in the charnel house (which probably would have taken you more than 20 minutes to recover from, plus you'd have a bounty for your escape when one of your buds got you out) or made you pay a hefty fine.  You're basically getting off with no punishment here if all they did was jail you.

Well said. Thank you for eloquently saying what I was thinking.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
I

Honestly, I would have loved the things your listing here, its involved and such and allows you to do things, I dont know why people were complaining about that.

Darkside of Heaven

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
(Raises hand) Have had characters spend IRL Days in jail...Just sayin.

Moshimo

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »

+1

The time-frame of 20-40 minutes is more a time out than a prison sentence when looking back at past incidents. If you aren't committed enough to face the consequences of an action, don't play an antagonistic criminal.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 05:04:20 PM »

You can still roleplay in jail, even if alone. No one is interrupting your roleplay by jailing your character. Now, you may not enjoy solo roleplay as much but it's still roleplay. It's not an OOC time out, it's an IC time out for your character and you are free to roleplay it however you want.

Okay, just gonna point out two things here in response to this.

1. This is a SOCIAL server, meaning RP is meant to be with OTHERS and not by myself...I can RP by myself without coming on the server. There are MANY ways to interact with a player that don't need constant watch. "will anyone pay bail for you, with of course the threat that if you don't return, we bounty your head and the person bailing you", put the character to work where your guard can see them working, provided a brush and bucket of water while still shackled ( this leaves lots of room to talk to the player and interact RPly), Set a time limit to how long a player can be left jailed without RP, cause you know what...I have played a LOT of guards...on many servers, and there was such a rule in place. Jailing of a char for more then 24 RL hours, needed that players permission, and you needed to be at least interacting with them if they were online once an hour if you were a guard online, the player would poke the guard and say, hey I am online, in X jail, can you come and RP with me? and it was very smooth.

2. To quote another on this board "And seriously, this argument comes up all the time and I never understand it."

Simply put, if this keeps coming up, then something is clearly wrong, and that the DMs continue to ignore it as a problem that PLAYERS are not having fun, is not really a good option, yes people are gonna whine and gripe, even about the most reasonable things...the options that were presented as alternatives "fines, beatings, woodcutting" those were GREAT alternatives, why not consider allowing people to make a choice, okay you can sit here till were done our investigations, or you can choose to plead guilty now and take 50 lashings with the whip.

At this point in time, taking the 50 lashings over still sitting here for 21 IG hours with no rp, would have been MUCH more preferable. Again, Social Servers are about INTERACTIVE ROLEPLAY not solo go play by yourself in a corner. Sorry, again, I can do that without coming to the server. I come here to rp with OTHERS.

@Little Lotte - Markus isn't an antagonistic criminal, he never has been. So please don't assume that as lumping every player under the same thing in itself is wrong, and its been a lot more then 20-40 mins now.

RickDeckard

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
https://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=49653.0

"Should a man stand accused of a crime that was not witnessed by a servant of the Burgomaster, let him produce witnesses to swear to his innocence, and let witnesses be produced by the accuser to swear against him, and should he succeed thus in producing them, let the Burgomaster, his Steward, or an appointed officer decide as to the man's guilt or innocence, and let him be judged accordingly. Should the man not dispute the facts of the crime but rather dispute that his actions violated the Burgomaster's law, let him stand before the Burgomaster, his Steward, or an appointed officer, and demonstrate by usage and custom that he should be placed at liberty and, should he succeed thus in his arguments, let him be so placed."

You are our first person the Garda is trialing under this, let alone some other hidden away guidelines and procedures on our Garda forums to determine even if we are going this route, all we ask is some patience please.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:14:25 PM by RickDeckard »

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 05:13:44 PM »
Based on what I personally know IC because of my characters position, you are seen as antagonistic. If you’d like to change her opinion of you then I look forward to the role play once your sentence is up!

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 05:17:44 PM »
Have you perhaps considered that allowing criminals and other characters that break the law IC to do whatever they please without consequence isnt fun for others who enjoy the setting? And that by actively breaking the law you're agreeing to whatever consequences the established agreement is. And that agreement is you sit in jail, like a criminal.

I haven't seen any mind blowing suggestion other then forcing someone else to RP with you, which no, is never going to happen. Legion brings up a fantastic point, what would be preferable? I suppose they could just execute everyone, then you could go back to RPing on a new character. Otherwise there has to be some sort of consequences. Im going to say what I feel like most people are when these sorts of threads get posted.

This just sounds like an OOC attempt to remove IC consequences from IC actions.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »
Yesterday there was a post complaining about the public nudity and bondage involved in garda punishments. Arawn deleted it almost instantly, saying that individual incidents should be brought to the CC and then DMs.

This is definitely an individual incident, and so I conclude on the same precedent it is also inappropriate to be discussed in the forum.

Issues pertaining to specific events should be raised with the DM Team or the CC, not posted openly.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 05:21:49 PM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
The Garda PC's- the PLAYERS are very cognizent that jailing someone hampers RP and try to visit frequently. However, kind of like real life, have you tried not committing crimes?

Sh*@ happens.  My 87 Lawful 100 Good character spent a lovely 3 IRL days in jail for prior events.  Didnt have a garda or dm on all the time, but honestly, I hopped onto an alt and called it a day.

We all come here to RP with others. That's the point of the place, and the server, but if you've gotten to the point where you were on the Garda's radar and they locked you up- that's very much part of the setting.

Players can have fun, but a lovely little realistic tidbit- you can choose your actions, but don't always get to pick the consequences.  It doesnt come up frequently because most people either avoid getting put in jail, or dip out of barovia after they've hit the hornets nest. 

Frankly, if you have a problem with it, contact the CC 'if the DM team is ignoring the problem,' but this is very much another case where the Garda cannot win.  No one is happy, and bless them, truly, for adapting their RP and consequences to try and accommodate everyone.

The unfortunate reality is, there will always be someone that is unhappy.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
Have you perhaps considered that allowing criminals and other characters that break the law IC to do whatever they please without consequence isnt fun for others who enjoy the setting? And that by actively breaking the law you're agreeing to whatever consequences the established agreement is. And that agreement is you sit in jail, like a criminal.

I haven't seen any mind blowing suggestion other then forcing someone else to RP with you, which no, is never going to happen. Legion brings up a fantastic point, what would be preferable? I suppose they could just execute everyone, then you could go back to RPing on a new character. Otherwise there has to be some sort of consequences. Im going to say what I feel like most people are when these sorts of threads get posted.

Actually...if you review my last post, you will see I have been making suggestions on areas for betterment, not just trying to remove IC consequences, such as taking the 50 lashes and being declared guilty, as a choice rather then sitting for 21 IG hrs.

Yesterday there was a post complaining about the public nudity and bondage involved in garda punishments. Arawn deleted it almost instantly, saying that individual incidents should be brought to the CC and then DMs.

This is definitely an individual incident, and so I conclude on the same precedent it is also inappropriate to be discussed in the forum.

Issues pertaining to specific events should be raised with the DM Team or the CC, not posted openly.

I believe that is very different as we are talking about someones personal comfort level with bondage and sexual rp. Which is something the DM team needs to discuss on how far things are allowed to be taken.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 05:29:09 PM »

Actually...if you review my last post, you will see I have been making suggestions on areas for betterment, not just trying to remove IC consequences, such as taking the 50 lashes and being declared guilty, as a choice rather then sitting for 21 IG hrs.

I believe that is very different as we are talking about someones personal comfort level with bondage and sexual rp. Which is something the DM team needs to discuss on how far things are allowed to be taken.

For the ten years I have played here it has been protocol to strip a prisoner of their belongings, including their clothes and then to shackle them. It is not erotic role play, it just simply isn’t. It is work. And once again, if you don’t like the consequences of your actions, don’t do said actions. This is how the server has been run for ten+ years and it works.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »

For the ten years I have played here it has been protocol to strip a prisoner of their belongings, including their clothes and then to shackle them. It is not erotic role play, it just simply isn’t. It is work. And once again, if you don’t like the consequences of your actions, don’t do said actions. This is how the server has been run for ten+ years and it works.

1. I am not complaining about the stripping protocol, I was answering the statement regarding why Arawen might have closed the other complaint.

2. Just because something has worked for 10 years, doesn't mean it can't be flawed, how many new or returning players have made this complaint, and because I am suggesting change, people have a bug up their butts? Thats not how that works. I am entitled to give feedback that suggests change. You don't have to like it, at the end of the day the DMs and the Devs will decide if the suggestions have merits or not and proceed with it. Or maybe players will think "hmm, that might be interesting" and give a few a try, thats the fun of constructive criticism. Changes can be made.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »

1. I am not complaining about the stripping protocol, I was answering the statement regarding why Arawn might have closed the other complaint.

The said post was moved to the moderator board for a reason, let's avoid talking more about it and stay on topic. ;)
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »

The said post was moved to the moderator board for a reason, let's avoid talking more about it and stay on topic. ;)

I quoted the reason Arawn gave, and it applies as much if not more so here.

@Little Lotte - Markus isn't an antagonistic criminal, he never has been. So please don't assume that as lumping every player under the same thing in itself is wrong, and its been a lot more then 20-40 mins now.

Based on what I personally know IC because of my characters position, you are seen as antagonistic. If you’d like to change her opinion of you then I look forward to the role play once your sentence is up!

The post that was moved was much more of a general nature than this has been.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Moshimo

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »

I quoted the reason Arawn gave, and it applies as much if not more so here.

The post that was moved was much more of a general nature than this has been.

This only pushes the issue further. Provide on topic discussion or none at all.

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
So.....jumping back on topic, here are suggestions for Garda, and DMs.

1. Paying Bail/or having a player do bail for you - threat of bounty on you/both if not returning on order.
2. Option of just accepting punishment (punishment must be stated so player is aware) or waiting for investigations
3. Investigations to be done before arrests (where possible to speed up the process for both sides)
4. Keep prisoner (when possible) in sight doing menial work (encouraging rp)

Thanks to both groups for the considerations.

Darkside of Heaven

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 06:41:54 PM »
Simply put you can't expect other PCs to RP with a character in prison. Garda can do what they can but if you have to spend IRL days in prison so be it.

One thing I didn't accept is my PC wouldn't be released until another PC spoke to the garda. Play times and OOC instances prevent that from being viable.

Just take the jail time and move on criminal.
As Legion put perfectly it's better than alternatives.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:56:26 PM by Darkside of Heaven »

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
A few things.

My name's Arawn, not Arwan. Small difference, but there it is.

There's been a lot of arguing about specific characters and events in this thread. That's against our forum rules, so please keep remarks limited to well-supported, concrete, and constructive suggestions.

This is a gothic horror setting, set in medieval times. You are roleplaying in a medieval setting.

As it turns out, I'm also a professional historian of the "Dark Ages." If we're going to bring up the Middle Ages as a comparison, it's worth pointing out that in the Middle Ages, imprisonment was rarely, if ever, used as a punishment, just a means of holding the accused until a more concrete punishment could be applied. Here are the IC guidelines provided to the Garda on punishment:

Crimes may be punished by a fine, by the stocks and pillory, by amputation, by castration, by branding, by flogging, or by execution. Criminals may be executed by immolation, by hanging, by stoning, by beheading, or by drowning.

You'll notice that imprisonment is not listed. There's no reason for it to be, either. To talk about rejecting 'modern ideology' also somewhat fuzzes the very real distinction between history and fantasy. This isn't a historical server (by any means, believe me), so that's not really here or there.

That said, imprisonment will sometimes become necessary, or even desirable, while the Garda figure out what to do. Witnesses must be found, characters not online must log in, and so on. Sooner or later you may have to spend some time after being arrested, and while the Garda should (and do, with great assiduousness) try and RP with you as much as possible, the truth is that they're playing characters too and having fun and they shouldn't have to spend long periods of time rehashing the same protestations of innocence. If someone can't accept that sooner or later you might have to RP by yourself, log out for an hour or two, or even in extreme circumstances play an alt for a couple of days so IC can be IC, then I'm afraid I just don't think that's reasonable or, frankly, promising, in a community built on give and take.

Now, the flip side of this is that this can be mitigated and made much more manageable by clear communication. I encourage the Garda to provide, and I encourage players who have been imprisoned to ask, what the OOC duration is likely to be and what they're waiting for on an OOC level, so that nobody is left in the dark while others possess more accurate information. Sometimes it will be just "we need so-and-so to log on and give their account," and you won't have a clear timetable, but at least you'll be on the same page as everyone else. If that becomes a longer delay than anticipated, a DM can be involved to get everything moving again. It all requires proactiveness and communication on both sides.

Unless anyone has new concrete suggestions to add, I'm not sure there's much else to say here.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.