You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Feat - Voracious  (Read 1281 times)

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
Feat - Voracious
« on: October 18, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
So, I actually have this feat and as I understand its fairly new. So perhaps a bit of feedback on its implementation.

Becoming a cannibal doesn't generally mean you can never manage on other foods, it just means that generally its your preferred. So the implementation becomes in question as to what IC reason does eating normal foods no longer have a "food" benefit? I can rationalize the healing part, but to have your char sit 24/7 at literally starving because cannibal is a bit...strange to say the least. The rest of what it does and costs, I love and can understand, but can we please put back gaining nutrition from it? It really just makes no sense otherwise, cannibalism is a choice lifestyle, unless there is some very strong reason that all of a sudden, you can magically no longer gain nutrients from everything else like a werewolf?

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
Re: Feat - Voracious
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »
unless there is some very strong reason that all of a sudden, you can magically no longer gain nutrients from everything else like a werewolf?

Yes.

It's justified by the tropes of gothic horror, namely the degeneracy of man's morals. The raison d'etre of the Dark Powers is punishing people for their wilful moral lapses, according to their table of absolute no-no's; of which cannibalism is one (according to net-canon, which this server selectively adheres to).

So, in the great tradition of Ravenloft:

The Dark Powers did it.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
It's not ordinary cannibalism: "the mystical secret of how to steal a person's strength by devouring their corpse. By feeding upon the dead, the character becomes stronger and tougher, and heals wounds at a much faster rate. Sometimes, discovering the secret requires much deliberate research."

Hence, your alignment is shifted toward evil, and your metabolism is magically altered.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »
And Voracious is an actual Ravenloft setting specific feat. It will seem to be harsher-than-standard balance. A boon with a curse sort of balance.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »
I like how the DMs never told anyone there's a secret counter that turns people into ghoul MPCs after they use Voracious enough.  :lol:
: )

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 01:02:09 PM »
Spoilers!!!
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."