Author Topic: Keeping level 20 immigrants outside of the outskirts; building the wall  (Read 6653 times)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
Re: Keeping level 20 immigrants outside of the outskirts; building the wall
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
I saw that one person stated that high levels in the outskirts ruin immersion.

Without venturing somewhere with someone, or seeing them take on a mighty beast, how do you know their level? Even then, IC you wouldn't know a 'level'. You'd just know that person is a veteran in their craft. Your IC knowledge should not involve another PC's character sheet.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
Keep the XP system in place where you get less xp for higher levels hanging around. This is that stops them from just carrying lower leveled PC's everywhere, unless it's for raw information, which is okay.

Just to make sure you understand how things now work: lower levels get less XP when monsters are killed near high levels. The RP system works differently, and it is the high levels who suffer.

Used to, the average level in an area was calculated, and high levels received less RP XP if the average was too low. The Devs kept insisting this was working as it intended, to rebut the substantial majority of players who, when given a chance, expressed they wanted it removed.

Despite saying it was working as they intended and their data showed that, the Devs responded by no longer tying it to average character level but to geographical area. So who you are RPing with no longer affects the XP earned.

I'm not going to repeat all my arguments about why this was a dreadful change--probably the worst change I've seen implemented here--but I do have a new one: this change makes it harder to draw crowds for strictly RP events that are unlikely to involve any Challenge Rating at all.

If an event like the Cornell lectures is held in an "RP rich" zone, then low levels have difficulty attending. They must travel through dangerous areas and away from their natural base. Afterward, they have to return.

If such an event is held in an "RP poor" zone, then the high levels have less incentive to attend it, and if they do, they're going against the segregation being OOCly enforced upon us.

Trying to revitalize, for example, the Broken Bell is going to be hard if high levels (who tend to be the most dedicated players on the server and the kind who would devote consistent time to something like rehearsing and performing) know they won't get any XP for their devotion to the project.

Meistersinger was three hours of high-quality RP that any high levels in attendance had to do purely out of altruistic dedication.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2018, 03:45:56 PM »
Actually, I think you may be on to something there!

Make it so that RP XP scales down when high levels are present just like it does when a level 20 shows up in the ML Crypts.  Then maybe high level players would be shamed away for jumping scenes involving lower level PCs :lol:  If there's one thing I've learned in my years on PotM, it's that people don't tolerate you jacking their XP.  Let a level 20 try to outskirts sit after that change, they'd be swarmed by a mob of lvl 1-10 PC so fast, it'd look like The Walking Dead.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »

Make it so that RP XP scales down when high levels are present just like it does when a level 20 shows up in the ML Crypts.  Then maybe high level players would be shamed away for jumping scenes involving lower level PCs :lol:  If there's one thing I've learned in my years on PotM, it's that people don't tolerate you jacking their XP.  Let a level 20 try to outskirts sit after that change, they'd be swarmed by a mob of lvl 1-10 PC so fast, it'd look like The Walking Dead.

Please remember that as someone who sits on the CC (and is standing for re-election) you ought to set an example for the rest of us of how to be excellent to others, including making positive, responsive, productive comments.

As LivingWasteland mentioned, RP really isn't about level. If someone is playing a scene and another PC "jumps it," the level isn't relevant. Either the new PC contributes and makes the scene better or detracts from it. Relative level has nothing to do with it.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2018, 04:17:52 PM »

Please remember that as someone who sits on the CC (and is standing for re-election) you ought to set an example for the rest of us of how to be excellent to others, including making positive, responsive, productive comments.

As someone standing for election on the CC, I absolutely agree that Legion should be setting an example.

So let me be the first to follow it and echo his commitment to segregating high and low levels by hamfisted mechanical penalties.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
That was a serious post  :(

Please stop trying to bully me just because you don't agree with what I'm saying, that's not how you should treat your fellow players Iridni Ren.

Mereyn

• Undead Slayer
  • Resident Observer of the Freakshow
Keeping level 20 immigrants outside of the outskirts; building the wall
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »
I'm surprised that this thread hasn't been locked yet for its negative connotation in the title regarding immigrants.
People will do what they like, and being social creatures, will most of the time seek out others.
Seeing how Vallaki is the starting area, you're guaranteed to find people there. So either you give an incentive for everyone to move away,
leaving new players and low levels to their own devices and perhaps very frustrated. The alternative would be to change the starting area,
which is too much trouble for a quality of life change that will only affect people who either come or don't come because of their dislike of the place.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »
Iridni, I think this was uneccessarily disrespectful and should have been sent via PM.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2018, 07:19:37 PM »
As I said, and needs to be remembered, especially by older players like Indri, everyone has the right to an opinion, you don't have to like that players opinion, but they have a right to it weather or not you like it, I personally hate the level cap on higher levels receiving  RP XP because it punishes you for RPing not for hunting low level mobs. I also agree the title could use a change given its actual meaning IRL and the pain it has actually caused people in the last few years, though I don't agree a lock is necessary. @Legion, I understand your post, but I don't agree that any mechanic that OOCly shames a player to force them to leave an area is appropriate, this is a Social Server, not a stand alone and sadly I have played in other areas, I can sit alone in the mists for hours without seeing other players, or other areas like it, yet go to ML temple in the Outskirts for thirty seconds and I have about seven or eight people I can RP with. Given those odds, I would likely hang around the outskirts more. Punishing players for being social, sends the message that PVE is better then RP. Its a horrible message to send to a Social Server.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »

As LivingWasteland mentioned, RP really isn't about level. If someone is playing a scene and another PC "jumps it," the level isn't relevant. Either the new PC contributes and makes the scene better or detracts from it. Relative level has nothing to do with it.

Being excellent to others also covers not making the same arguments (especially in a condescending, aggressive, and nonproductive manner) over and over again. You've been warned about this before; please pay more attention to your own tone before policing that of others.

Indeed, the tone in this thread is, in general, not good, and a serious part of the problem is that no new proposals (except "undo the change") are being offered. Unless someone has something constructive to put forward, I'm going to close it.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

RickDeckard

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2018, 07:23:03 PM »
This thread to level 20's:

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2018, 07:24:25 PM »
And we're done.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.