You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Voracious Feat Bugs and Assistance  (Read 1069 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Voracious Feat Bugs and Assistance
« on: August 28, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
Well I'm not use to giving feed back but several people had recommended me to since I have worked and messed with this feat as a part of a characters role play. Some of the issues I find may just be the result of a lack of knowledge I don't know what the developers have set up or lack of description knowledge in the feat itself.

First and fore most the feat describes that the character must now feed upon humanoids in order to gain sustenance in order to remain nourished and that neither food item nor rest is required in order to heal. One of the troubles I first came across in the description is it requires a corpse but most corpses disappear when you kill them. I eventually learn you can subdue a target and then eat it. The mechanism does work but I had to do some testing in order to find out which monsters theasably work with humanoid type. Directly human type character npcs would be the immediate solution but as I found out horribly this immediately sets your global rating to 110 even if you subdue the person. This makes the viable availability of the sustenance needed rare and difficult for the role player.

Another problem is the rate of Voracious is very quick to be hungry three times faster than normal hunger which I believe is intended which is no problem except growing to agonizing pain does offer some problems. I am not sure if its a bug but once this happens to the character when they rest as the description says they will not heal as normally I recommend players using healing kits but for those like myself with out healing skill this can prove problematic especially as each time you rest you receive a cumulative damage over time each rest even after gorging the character till they can eat no more. Don't know if that's a bug but I started from eight damage to my fifth sleep where I lost fifty eight health.

Voraciously Eating: A few problems I came across is some times the character will not assume the conception animation even when the character is hungry and stand there. Generally you can't do this amidst a battle or if a battle takes place very far where the audio cue occurs for battle. Even then the only way to consume a corpse I discovered is subdue less you can aquire a freshly slain pc corpse and even then that is the role play challenge. Though when doing so it seems it requires one or two tries before the animation kicks in with the script where it tells you your character engorges themselves quite hungrily. Not sure if this is broken but the rate of evil gain from this feat is 5 to Evil per second but it takes about forty five seconds for you to gain enough nourishment to heal a portion of health that does not recover as well as sleep not including the damage you take when sleeping. I am not certain if an already evil character gains evil points that would change their alignment less they are good. As a balance issue the amount of recovery from gorging isn't enough especially for a character who has a fighter health.

Eating NPC's: A note should be made in the feat to make a player aware consumption of npcs does cause global rating to jump to 110 immediately. Given the limitations of possible victims/food sources in most areas humans are the most common which would mostly be npcs. Though a player character can attack a player character for sustenance a bit of the dilemma is the pvp rules and difficulty in acquiring a player as a prey. Thus the closest option is npcs but given npc deaths immediately, whether concealed or not, jumps your global rating to 110 this makes it impossible to use npcs as a source of nourishment and it gives away immediately the character's secret which has proved some problems of meta gaming. As there is no other way than requesting a dm to lower your global rating back to normal this becomes a nuisance for the player in a way to remain subterfuge and have a sustainable nourishment.

Short and Sweet: accumulative damage when resting even though you are fully fed, problems with clicking on targets less they are subdue and/or script kicking-in to begin eating target, Evil points gain over seconds rather than minutes, healing prolonged not sure if this was intended as it takes several meals.
A description of where the bug was found, e.g. an area, a specific NPC conversation.

Recreate:
subdue a target and attempt to use Voracious feat. Some times near transitions and doors this may not work also some times you just walk to corpse and do nothing. When you do begin to consume look at rate of evil gained over time and take notice it will flood a bit every second. At some point if you remain consuming the same corpse it will grant you some health. Eventually will give you script "There is barely any meat on these bones and will not supply you with much." After you continue to consume beyond that point some error, no code, occurs where you continue to gain evil points a few seconds that's how I notice maybe something was wrong. After gorging yourself try to rest you are pretty full at that point so you could rest again if you do and take no damage the next time you rest you will notice you will not be at full health but a lowered amount, then rest again and see the amount of damage increase more. Not sure if that is as intended or if that's some kind of bug. Also though Humanoid is stated I found some monsters like Thouls and Scrags could be eaten I think its because they still contain the humanoid pheno and not a unique or related pheno like their nwn core brethren.

If we can't recreate the bug we can't investigate it, and we can't check if it has been fixed. Therefore it's a great help if you can give pointers of how to recreate it. Again, the more specific you can be, the better.

Ideas: I dunno if the bug is due to the transfer to EE as it seems some custom content isn't working properly with EE let alone some Core NWN scripts. It may be Voracious needs to be fined tune. I couldn't find more than word of mouth by two people that the feat is a bit broken or is broken. As it stands it provide an intriguing role play oppurtunity but offers little compensation other than a temporary magical boost to strength and constitution. Definately not worth the global rating risk given the limitations of engagement given server rules to pvp and ore the danger risk of being discovered by pcs. But hat's opinion as for the feat mechanics itself I think it just needs to be finely tuned so it works a bit better or prevent the player from gaining a global rating using the skill.

Guess that's it hope this is helpful dunno how else to explain some of the oddities I take scren shots but nwn EE crashes each time I do and I have to reset the computer. Otherwise could show dms if they like.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
Re: Voracious Feat Bugs and Assistance
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »
First and fore most the feat describes that the character must now feed upon humanoids in order to gain sustenance in order to remain nourished and that neither food item nor rest is required in order to heal. One of the troubles I first came across in the description is it requires a corpse but most corpses disappear when you kill them. I eventually learn you can subdue a target and then eat it. The mechanism does work but I had to do some testing in order to find out which monsters theasably work with humanoid type. Directly human type character npcs would be the immediate solution but as I found out horribly this immediately sets your global rating to 110 even if you subdue the person. This makes the viable availability of the sustenance needed rare and difficult for the role player.

Being able to use it in subdual is a bug; it's cannibalism, feeding on a dead corpse; it shouldn't work on living targets. Killing commoners will definitely raise your OcR; this has nothing to do with Voracious but our OcR system and isn't bugged. You can use it on commoners but it's at your own risk.

Another problem is the rate of Voracious is very quick to be hungry three times faster than normal hunger which I believe is intended which is no problem except growing to agonizing pain does offer some problems. I am not sure if its a bug but once this happens to the character when they rest as the description says they will not heal as normally I recommend players using healing kits but for those like myself with out healing skill this can prove problematic especially as each time you rest you receive a cumulative damage over time each rest even after gorging the character till they can eat no more. Don't know if that's a bug but I started from eight damage to my fifth sleep where I lost fifty eight health.

Voracious clearly states that you no longer heal from eating in the feat description, so even if fully satiated, you no longer regain HP on rest from eating. You gain that HP by eating from corpses.

Short and Sweet: accumulative damage when resting even though you are fully fed, problems with clicking on targets less they are subdue and/or script kicking-in to begin eating target, Evil points gain over seconds rather than minutes, healing prolonged not sure if this was intended as it takes several meals.

The feat clearly states that it only works on dead NPCs (or PCs), so you can't use it on living targets and soon won't be able to use it on subdued targets. That being said, we'll probably add some dropable items to bandits so they at least can be used to feed.

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
uote

Being able to use it in subdual is a bug; it's cannibalism, feeding on a dead corpse; it shouldn't work on living targets. Killing commoners will definitely raise your OcR; this has nothing to do with Voracious but our OcR system and isn't bugged. You can use it on commoners but it's at your own risk.

[Gotcha, however I can see a newer player getting confused by this as sustenance relies on a corpse that's humanoid. Immediately in Vallaki I assume they would think commoners were up as prey. Since this triggers the OcR immediately to 110 this would make it difficult for early starters of Voracious to avoid suspicions with out knowing the risks of the feat. If Voracious has nothing to do with the OcR will there be a way to implement a stealth kill or some means to avoid alerting the food source?]

Voracious clearly states that you no longer heal from eating in the feat description, so even if fully satiated, you no longer regain HP on rest from eating. You gain that HP by eating from corpses.

[So continuous consumption adds weeks and healing? Gotcha.] [What about the problem after resting you receive more damage even after being in full health does this do with your levels of hunger?]

The feat clearly states that it only works on dead NPCs (or PCs), so you can't use it on living targets and soon won't be able to use it on subdued targets. That being said, we'll probably add some dropable items to bandits so they at least can be used to feed.

[I see. Only on bandits? Will we be expanding onto other humanoid creatures? Would leaving a remains body of this monsters/npcs be easier? Such as when a npc dies instead of it fading and living an item remains it actually leaves its body or remains? I notice if the target has an item in its body remains and you can feed on them that way as long as an item is in the body. But after full consumption and the third "There is barely any meat left..." the bodya nd item disappears. Will this work easier than adding a new item to the system?]
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:39:05 PM »
Voracious has been fixed so you can now once again regain HP from resting but won't gain extra HP from eating rations.