Author Topic: Having serious login/username problems  (Read 3244 times)

poisonivy2

• Undead Slayer
Having serious login/username problems
« on: September 27, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place!

So, I convinced an old pen & paper D&D friend to join the server, he actually had the old NWN CDs, but when that didnt worked out I simply bought him the EE version as gift, via Steam. He installed both the game and the "POTM main download" and everything seemed ok, the problem starts when you try to join a multiplayer session.

As soon as you hit the multiplayer buttom a msg appears "Trying to retrive CD Key Username" (or somethig like that, it pops really fast on the screen and never appears again)

Then, instead of that usual log in box where you insert your "Username" and "Password", there is a box I've never seen before with just the "insert username" field, no password option. He tried to log in with an old account, the one he used to play on a brazilian RP server with me for years but it said "username already in use". When I tried to log in with any account I've ever used includding the current one, it said the same, "username already in use". And since there's no option to insert a password its impossible to log in into any existent account.

I didnt had this issue when installing the game in my place a month ago. After installing the EE for the first time via Steam (I used to play with the CDs too) I actually logged in into some old accounts just to see if they were still there and its was everything perfect. And back in 2014 when I left the server I used to share accounts with my ex, we had the game installed on both our PCs and a laptop, we never had any problems switching bewteen acounts on them. Once we spent a holliday at her parents farm and we managed to install and log into our accounts on POTM from their family PC with absolutely no problems (besides the bad connection hehehe)

Anyone knows what can be happening with my friend's installation? He created a bizarre username just to ensure it wasnt already taken and managed to log in on the server, but when the game is closed and you try to log in again with that username, the same msg appears "username is already in use" and since the acc doesnt have a password he couldnt log in with the acc he just created. We solved that by making another bizarre username and clicking the box to make it default, but still, it shouldnt be like this, he has an acc with no password protection of any kind. Not that this is a real issue cause he lives alone, but technicaly, anyone who logs into multiplayer with his NWN will log directly into his acc, he should be able to switch accounts or at least log off, right? He also wont be able to access his account in any other PC, like when he comes to my place or something.

Any tips to fix this?

Thank you!

poisonivy2

• Undead Slayer
Re: Having serious login/username problems
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
This is the login box I mentioned, with no password field:

https://pasteboard.co/HFTpKO0.jpg

This is the msg that pops up really fast when you try to log in into any existent account (the other msg "trying to retrieve cd key username" only pops up when you enter multiplayer for the first time after installing the game)

https://pasteboard.co/HFTqtgO.jpg

And this is what happens after that box pops up. Only way to get in the game is creating a bizarre name account and clicking on the little box to make it default.

https://pasteboard.co/HFTqY2M.jpg

Iceforce

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
I am having the exact same issue. Does anyone know what causes this and is there a solution?

Lightweaver

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:40:08 PM »
This is a CD Key conflict. Essentially, when you create an account it binds your current set of keys along with it. If you log onto another computer with a different install of NWN, you'll either get that warning, or you'll make a new account with mismatched keys.

To fix it, you need to use the same set of keys you made the account with. While you can't tell which one you've made an account with, you can find your current in the cdkey.ini file in Documents/Neverwinter Nights. Additionally, you can change your account name via the nwnplayer.ini file found in the same area, by editing Playername=(NewNameHere).

If you originally bought the Beamdog version, you can get the keys off their website by logging into your account.
If your friend made a new character on your PC, unfortunately, that account is going to be locked and if you share keys, you'll be unable to connect at the same time. Same issue with sharing a steam account.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 09:10:17 PM »
You should still be able to log into an account using different CD keys by entering your password, no? At least I thought that was how it worked. If you're on steam, you can right-click on NWN:EE from your games library, go to properties and then "Local Files" and click on "Verify integrity of game files" since that seemed to fix the problem for another player who was having similar issues recently. When I switched from Diamond to EE, I never had any issues logging into my account, just couldn't move my character or do anything until I entered my password once I logged in.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »
From what I know, Beamdog replaced the password identification with CD key recognition, which basically mean you'll have the same character list no matter which account name you log with. However Ravenloft has its own password system with each account, though that one is based on player name as far as I know.

Depending on how you installed the game (I took my old CD key and shoved it in), there could be, like said, conflict between the CD keys already in the computer. Personally, I uninstalled Diamond ed. to make more room on my laptop. Maybe in your case both files are in the same folder and there needs cleaning.
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>