You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Alessandro von Lockheart  (Read 1345 times)

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
Alessandro von Lockheart
« on: September 24, 2018, 05:58:42 AM »
// Hello everybody,

I will start this topic as some kind of diary from my character Alessandro, that young and deep paladin. I know that the sentences will be very simple because I’m still learning English, but I really hope you can enjoy anyway.

Alessandro von Lockheart

My name is Alessandro of the house Lockheart, and I really consider necessary to write every single detail I’ve lived in this terrifying land called the Land of the Mist. I came from Arcadia, a utopic world where the light prevails above the darkness.

Long ago, my world had his own war against the evil. A war that could destroyed our whole existence. But we won thanks to The Holy Order, a military order which job is to protect the kingdom. We know that the evil exists in many forms and we keep it away from our sacred and peaceful lands. I was an initiate in the order, may you will call it squire. My objective was, one day, to will be a recognized as a Paladin, but my dream turned into a nightmare when the Mist takes me three months ago.

The firsts days I couldn’t believe how much evil is threatening this estrange land. It was hard to deal with the idea of to think that the cosmos took me for start from scratch in another world. Day after day, I started to understand that I’m here now for some reason. Most of the people in here they insist that we are prisoners of the Mist, and maybe we are, but I want to understand the will of the puppet-master behind the strings. I want answers, pass my proof, face my new destiny and find answers.

Since the last two months, I started to research information about the main military orders in here. Most of them, they keep fighting while they know that the evil has no way to be destroyed. That makes me feel that I can find people with good heart in this land, even when the evil tries to darkened everything. I thought that I needed to join in one of these factions in order to start to find people like me, people who wants to fight against the evil. Even inside the Outlanders, there are adventurers who wants to find the exit of this place. Thanks to this research, I found The Crows.

The Crows helped me to understand the kind of mission that they are doing here. They are all, good people with the will to fight against the darkness and help others from the monsters stalking around Barovia. With them, I can train my skills and improve to deserve to be called one day, a Paladin.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:15:43 AM by Kracius »

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
Re: Alessandro Lockheart
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
The purple mantle of the night was covering my last journey in order to ask some questions to the Vistani people. I had some answers, but as usual, not enough to understand the whimsical nature of the Mist.

In the moment that i returned to the temple, I faced a terrifying scene: In front of me, a dark figure was biting the neck of a halfling. I do not remember clearly what happened after, I just tried to protect myself with the power of The Light, and after... Just darkness.

Day after day, I'm meeting new people. Sometimes I don't listen anything more about them. They just go outside and never return. Is for this reason that I know that I must find strong allies to start my own journey with the objective to find answers and pass my proof.

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:10:19 PM »
Finally, after days looking for the Commander of The Crows, I have had the opportunity to meet him. His name is Jerick Snow and is a man of honor and determination. Most of them, they are like me... Just warriors of light pretending to help the people against the threat of this land.

Jerick helped me to finish to understand the true proposal of The Crows. After a long chat, he decided to give me the cloak and I took the oath which was an honor.

I'm starting to get to know my mates inside the brotherhood. Between them, Elene... A powerful witch who helped me and taught me some basic things of this Land. We went to the forests in the west of the Outskirts, where we meet Ihsana Blackblood, an incredible and attractive woman fighting against undeads.

Together, we went inside of a catacombs, fighting against countless zombies, esqueletons and ghouls. Something that I should highlight of this journey, was the fact that we discover a room full of living shadows. On the threshold of the door, we found lots of bodies and blood. We tried to purify the whole hall, but we couldn't. In the middle of the room were a big floating orb with negative energy that I couldn't destroy.

Maybe, this is the first case that i would like to resolve.

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »
Many days have passed since I joined in The Crows. The adventures that I shared with my new brothers are countless. From darkest crypts to stinky sewers… From hunted forests, to cursed deserts… From all the adventures that we had, I remember one in particular which was, maybe, the most challenging of all of them.

In the Norwest of Vallaki, close to the edge of Lake Zarovich, there is a forest. With my power, I could feel a nest of darkness growing in the deep of one of the caves into the woods. Vampires… Creatures of the night, consecrated and committed to the evil. They suffer a endless hunger of blood, and the unique peace that they can achieve is the end of their existence.

It was a long fight. Maybe too much for our mortal bodies. We spent the whole day trying to advance into the cave, but their defenses were enough strong to keep the heart of the nest safe. In the evening, we had to ask for reinforcements, which took so long enough to let them prepare a counter attack. Suddenly, at midnight, we were surrounded by them.

With our courage and faith as a weapon, we were able to make them fall back. Later, inside of the nest and surrounded by the power of the darkness, we started to burn everything in our step. In the end, thanks to our performance, they were not able to hunt in that night.

Between all the adventures and journeys with The Crows, I have had the opportunity to get to know more about my brothers and sisters. About their lives… and their lost homes as well. We are all broken... Forced to live in a dark world full of despair and evil…

But we keep our courage and determination. We still in the path under the protection of the light...

We will prevail.

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
Re: Alessandro von Lockheart
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 07:09:58 AM »
I started to take my responsibilities as a member of the Order of the Crows more seriously. After my upgrade as first Ranger I helped the Commander Snow with the recruitment. I have met a lot of possible rangers, but two of them they took my attention. One of them was an active dwarf with good heart and good skills in combat. But if I have to highlight one of the recruitments, that would be Gunhild.

She is a strong woman of the north. A Paladin of Thor, the god of the thunder. I do not know so much about her world, but I know that she has been a special friend and a fierce companion in combat. I can’t keep off my mind her silhouette fighting at my side, the sparkles of her shining armor, or her words in the distance, calling the power of the Light and the Thunder in order to encourage our hearts for the good and the victory of the Crows, the messengers of Odin…

It is believed that, when you can’t concentrate because a woman, you are falling in love. Well… I can barely say that I do know what love between two persons is. I have to keep my mind focused in this personal fight and the responsibilities of the Order. So maybe, for the moment, It would be better to stay away from her. Just in case.

The next days were calm. I started a research about the nature of the vampires. Their inherent hunger of blood fight against their condition as one of the few undead with power of “to will” or self-conscience.  Can they show us that they are more intelligent than animals? If that is the case, can exist a “good” vampire? Even when their nature is compulsory evil? A lot of questions and such a few information. It seems like the country of Barovia doesn’t want to record or keep any information about the evil which is threatening all.

After tell to Commander Snow about my research, we decided to visit one particular spot in the mountains where we knew that there is a nest of vampires. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make any progress in my research. There is not any possibility of communication, just battle against them, until they were all death. There is not any possibility to show intelligence or anything more than blind hunger of blood. In the other hand, we finished the journey cleaning a nest of spiders. In my whole life as a fighter, I have never seen a spider queen with the size of an elephant. It was completely stunning, but it helped me to realize the kind of threatens that I will find in the future.

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 04:23:29 AM »

This night, my thoughts obnubilate my mind. It’s been more than eight months since I arrived to the Mist’s Lands. More than eight months facing the dark deep which threats this place. My senses are keen now. I can detect the evil inside the heart of so many people, some of them close to me.

There is a connection of this feeling with the last people that I started to get to know. There is one special woman who caught my attention. Her name is Lilith, and she is a powerful wizard with a keen interest in the science. Her face is always covered by the shade of her hood, but in the same time, her presence is quite magnetic even for extinguish the light inside my soul. I can’t explain with words the thoughts in my mind when i read for first time “Vox Nihili”. In my world, in Arcadia… our enemy is The Void. As a philosophical concept and as a physical enemy. Our demons come from the emptiness. So now, I feel a sad pity for her. I would like to understand the story behind such a sad words…

I would like to help them, but there is not any guarantee to make them change. Why they would do? If we take consideration of the real situation that we have to face in this plane, we are all prisoners and there is no hope. At least, no hope for change. They do not feel judged for any superior force, they are free among the Mist. Maybe they are more free than ever in their lives. The whimsical will of the Mist seems to encourage this attitude, feeding them with this dismal and dark atmosphere. Why they should change if they do not have any guarantee to finish their stay here? This is the worst fact to accept: To resign and submit yourself to the idea that you are not going to find any better place.

On the other hand, I have The Crows. It is recognized among the people of Barovia that there exists a group of brave men fighting against the evil, asking for no benefit or reward. Just motivated by the idea to make the land safer. But… Is it worth to fight day and night knowing that the evil is going to return? It doesn't matter how many skeletons you crush, they will rise again. No matter how many vampires you burnt, the guilds and clans raises again and returned to their unholy nests. We know this perfectly, and we keep fighting to make the land safer one more day… If with this we save only one life, it will have been worth it.

With this words, I want to ensure something to myself: The true wisdom exists when you know both, Light and Darkness. Only then you can understand the importance of embrace the truly Light. Even when I know how strong is the presence of the evil in this land… I choose the Light. It is needed more here than in any place.

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »
I decided to go by myself to the village of Barovia. I needed to keep distance of all the troubles from the outskirts of Vallaki. Specially after my combat against that creature called Ursa. I remember his gaze, looking at me with thirst for revenge even after my show of mercy deciding to keep him alive. I am pretty sure that we will meet again.

Once in Barovia, I spent one of my days in the tavern where I have had the opportunity to met again with Arlee. I must recognize how much important she started to be in my free time. We are two different personalities, but there is some smalls things in common that keep us together, making a pretty effective team. It is not the first time that we decide to explore the Mist´s Lands together, fighting different types of strange creatures and getting lost in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately, we decided to enter in a nest of witches and demons and maybe we would not be here if it were not for some Crows and powerful adventurers that saved us.

However, having a retrospective of the time that I have spent in the Mist´s Lands, I must recognize how alone I feel now. Do not misunderstand me, I belong to the Crows: They are my friends as well as they are my family. But being honest and realistic, this is another world. Here I am no more than a lost soul, walking without any other purpose than kill every single manifestation of evil that I find. My duty is my pride, as well as it is my condemn and monotony in this days.

Unfortunately, that strength and positivism of the beginning is disappearing. It is being exchanged for disdain and anger. One kind of anger that I am not able to understand. My duty and personal crusade is no other thing that an illusion trying to eclipse more deep wounds, not only from here but from the past as well. The Light prevails, as a product of Love and determination. But I feel in the bottom of my heart how this place is darkening my thoughts gradually. I think, even the Commander noticed that. I apologize. I apologize to my friends and my own principles. I feel, for moments, that this land is extinguishing my bright.

If it were not from the Crows, maybe I would be completely lost. I must keep going forward with them, especially now that I have been promoted. My responsibilities increased, and now I am an example to follow for the new Rangers. Listening to my heart, those are the unique words that I am able to understand in the middle of all this darkness: Just keep going.

Nihilus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 06:05:27 AM »

It was another dark, cold and misty night in the outskirts around Barovia. I was doing my patrol as always. Among my duties as a Crow, I have to do guards and patrols just in order to keep the creatures of the darkness away from places crowded by people. Probably it would have been a quiet night if it had not been for the attack. The disappointment filled my heart again in the moment that I looked around me: I was fighting alone… Now I am definitely tired of this.

The same Vampire of my first encounter decided to bother my guard that night, the same who has been feeded by the halfling four months ago was in front of me now, keeping a security distance using his undead summoned minions as a shield. I just ignored them and decided to charge against him with terrible consequences. Of course, Vampires like him have had the opportunity to mastery their skills of witchcraft through the years, and they still having the opportunity to learn and earn more power if nobody stops them. They had and they still having a whole eternity to do that. For that reason, is especially important to kill them. Maybe this is the first argument that I would use to encourage true adventurers to fight against whatever is happening in this cursed land.

The Vampire had magical protections. He was surrounded by a purple aura which crawled around his body. I was not able even to touch him due to that. I attacked him fiercely, shouting asking for help to the adventurers of Vallaki. A help that took too long to come. And when it came, they just stood looking to what was happening. They let a few of us facing the evil. We were alone… And the adventurers were afraid. Too afraid to do anything. Everything happened in slow-motion: I finally could penetrate the magical protection of his body and slash his flesh making him bleed… Only in that moment, he decided to focus on me and with a movement of his hand, he stopped me. I fell, barely conscient. I remember his words: He recriminated the fact that we enjoyed the night. He recriminated our freedom after the sunset.

But for me, the most important thing was that he bled. They can bleed… They can die.

Now I understand the true cancer of this land. The people have been fearing the evil for so many years that they do not even remember when or why it started. Now it is normalized the idea that at night they are not free. They believe, that the night belongs to the creatures of the darkness because they think that it is not possible to face them. They really think that the evil can't be beaten… And for that reason, more than ever, they are wrong and they need a change. The war that almost erase the existence of my world, Arcadia, took seventy years to be won. And we would not have won had it not been for the coalition of all the races and disciplines: Humans, Elves and Dwarves… No matter if they were warriors, rangers or mages. They called it “The Long War” for a reason. And it is not for how long it took, but for the effort as well. The demons of The Void threatened my world. They wanted to reduce it to the non-existence. And, in the end of all the things, when the entire existence and the future of a whole civilization, of a whole world, depends on the unique effort to work together, then and only then, the evil can be truly faced.

For this reason, I feel disappointed. For this reason, anger is growing in the bottom of my heart. I can barely recognize myself and I am not the man who crossed through the Mist. I am not the young Paladin who once joined in The Crows, full of love and courage. Those days have gone now. My world has had to suffer seventy years of war to understand that the evil can be destroyed only if the people have the will to fight together. Honestly, I do not have any hope to see this happening soon. In my mind I am still thinking that Vallaki does not deserve The Crows. But in the same time, I understand that the change must start to happen in some way. Even feeling angry as I do, Kadar showed me the truth and the good with simple words: "Maybe when they less deserve the support of The Crows, is when more they need it".

I am afraid this land is killing me slowly… But for this same reason, I understand how important is to fight. How important and needed is to bring some Light back.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:18:04 AM by Kracius »