Author Topic: Enryn's Biography  (Read 1264 times)

CorruptiveAries

• New to the Mists
Enryn's Biography
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:53:52 PM »

The man known as Enryn hailed from Faerun, originally from the small locale known as Berdusk. The last few of his family, with his keen intellect, his parents decided to have him attend an arcane university in the nearby city of Baldur's Gate. While the studies were laborious and difficult, arcane magic fascinated him. He enjoyed poring over the tomes of strange creatures, fiends, and helping with studying old texts. However, he felt there was something missing in his studies, the darker side of things intrigued him, and his tutors were not willing to go further than using caution when interacting with creatures of the dark.

He secretly conducted his own studies, and learned about the school of Necromancy. The subject fascinated him, the taboo aspect of it, the fear and discomfort it inflicted in people, the powers it could wield...his mind raced as he delved further into the topic. Unfortunately, his teachers discovered this and expelled him from the university and he was forced to go on his own. Enryn conducted his own studies and learned what he could, but felt he was always coming up short. It frustrated and angered him, until one night he heard a small voice and saw what he thought was a black raven, sitting on the ledge of his window. He opened it, and the animal flew in and to his surprise it spoke to him. It told him that it could help him learn more and give him the secrets and knowledge that he needed, and as a show of its seriousness, it led him to the first location of an old tome that had several entries and information about it. He was delighted and had never gone through the process of acquiring a familiar and felt this raven could be his. He asked how it knew, and Enryn discovered the birds true form...an imp.

Initially, he was surprised, but not afraid, as the imp introduced itself as Selix, and told him that it was a messenger of its archduke, Mammon...Enryn was curious and the imp told him it could assist him in gaining the knowledge and power he sought, for a price...his soul. Enryn leaped at the deal, and pledged his soul without a second thought and the imp delivered its promise, helping him gain the power he wanted and craved, while whispering its own goals and plans for Enryn to help fill his part of the bargain.

Enryn conducted his studies and descent onto the dark road with fervor, and had decided to make a trip to Mulhorand, to learn more about their burial rituals and magics in hopes it may help further his own, however on the way the Mists took him, thrusting him into a strange and new world, where he hopes to study and learn it. Even his imp, now his familiar, struggles with the area, but occasionally aids Enryn by scouting for him and finding out what places and things it can for his "master".

At least until the day comes when Enryn's soul is to be collected by the archduke he pledged it too...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:48:53 PM by CorruptiveAries »
{Active Characters}
Enryn Lewe
Eoghan
Hasani Fezim

{Inactive/Seldom Played Characters}
Alexandre Valentin, Andrik Vaclav, Esme Valleth, Gareth Urien, Ivellios, Jamath, Khalil, Ludovic, Rashal Vikiiros

CorruptiveAries

• New to the Mists
Re: Enryn's Biography
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »
The door handle turns and the wooden door squeaks as Enryn walks into his room for the night, shutting the door quickly behind him and turning the lock as he always did when he was alone. He sat down on the desk for a few moments, his robes settling as he let out an exhausted sigh. It had been a busy day, testing some of his new spells out on the field and mentally noting the effects. A fiendish chittering was heard as Enryn looks over, seeing his impish familiar appearing from the cloak of invisibility, watching Enryn with a knowing look but the two did not speak. There often wasn't a reason to with the bond, and each knew the other's purpose all to well...

Enryn pulled out a smaller book, this one being his private journal, and fishing out a quill and ink, he muttered a small incantation as the candle on the table flickered to life, he cleared his mind and began to write...

"It has been some time since I sat down to write about my travels and experiences in this land I have come to learn as Barovia. It is vastly different than Faerun, and those differences are often times deadly. I have often thought that this place was a sort of purgatory and that perhaps I had died, but I have learned that this is not the case and that I am in fact alive, and the people here are very much real. The locals refer to those in my situation as "Outlanders", and they have a hatred for that which they find unnatural. The night brings with it undead and lycanthropes and much worse at times...

I have also learned that the strange fog that permeates this place has the ability to snatch people away and that I am not the only Faerunian here. Despite this, magic is still viewed negatively and my studies have been staggered and delayed, but I have persisted and gleaned much. I have no doubt that as my studies progress and I regain myself that the natural taint of this land should be a proper conduit of the dark energies needed to fuel my more...necromantic pursuits.

The ability to properly test the necromantic art is very difficult. I lack a proper work place, and obtaining materials while available with the numerous crypts here is risky and I am not ready to put myself in such a situation at this time, not when there are vampires that have been attacking (by local accounts) more frequently, and thus the risk of being discovered is high. Selix has known, or perhaps detected this and remains hidden at least until I have need of him. I have witnessed the garda (the term for the local guard-force) arrest those suspected of "witchery" as they term it, and they are quite stubborn when they need to. Though I have learned they can be tamed by coin, or perhaps if I need to magical compulsion, though enchantment is not my forte but it is good to learn when needed.

I have travelled alone for the most part, and I had acquired allies who had their minds focused on becoming a power base but I have not seen them for some time and I fear they may have perished. But in the breath of a winter wind, I ended up creating a genuine friendship with a foreign ranger, Heuren. Writing that word is so foreign to me, I am so used to acquaintances and professional allies and focusing on my studies that I have never considered the concept of friendship. We have made progress in traversing places we would not risk alone and been victorious in acquiring treasures and strength. I have revealed some aspects as I felt that for a friendship to continue, I should tell him some, but not all things. He knows I traded my soul for arcane knowledge and my magic has a...darker flair to it, but not much else.

I myself did not see a reason to fear a betrayal, what could one do that is not already planned for me? Death does not strike fear into me, and while I have witnessed horrors such as creatures made entirely of blood, spirits wresting themselves from the ground to attack the living, vampires bearing down, swarms of monstrous spiders and more, they have not etched fear into me. Perhaps that's what earned me respect that while most mages (understandably) will not go into danger, I do not fear it. My soul is claimed, and when I perish whether it be by mortal or fiendish hands, I know where it will go in the end.

Even the close times I have faced death, and almost passed over, did not shake my core.

I have made other allies and they have been quite amiable to travel with but few I consider a close friend, but it is strange to see and realize that there are those who would care if one were to perish. This land does have an effect, maybe I am growing weak in allowing myself to soften, or maybe it is some latent need for survival. The best I can do is to bide my time and learn what I can but this land is many layers to it. All I have been able to learn of political squabbles is that the locals obey (or more accurately, fear) their Count and that the mists here enjoy snatching people away but for what end? What does this land want? Why does it take? The evil here is obvious, it wishes to corrupt, but the reasons escape me. Perhaps I'll never know the answer, but it is something to consider..."

Enryn closes the journal and sets the quill down, rubbing his eyes with a need for sleep before he blows out the candle. He whispers in the Infernal tongue for Selix to watch over him as he collapses in the bed into a much needed rest...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:15:36 PM by CorruptiveAries »
{Active Characters}
Enryn Lewe
Eoghan
Hasani Fezim

Alexandre Valentin, Andrik Vaclav, Esme Valleth, Gareth Urien, Ivellios, Jamath, Khalil, Ludovic, Rashal Vikiiros

CorruptiveAries

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
Enryn winced as he looked at himself in the mirror, tracing his fingers along a now-healed but visible scar running from his shoulder down to his stomach. He'd suffered much at the ghoul, Calehan, though of course he had been dead briefly and his body had been damaged. It didn't matter now, he was alive and this was his scar now. He stared at the scar a few moments longer before putting his shirt and coat on, locking the door as he set the two tomes he had found, having studied their contents and the potential power it meant for him. He opened his journal, and began to write:

"It has been some time since I have last written in my journal, and there has been much that has happened...it feels as if it were a dream. I had been in a deep melancholy after Sascha left...I fear he has been taken by the Mists and I have accepted this. I have heard of such things where people go missing for long periods before they are ever seen again. The names of those I was friends with in the past seems to fade, perhaps by the land itself, or my mind defending itself.

For a time, I experienced something I would never have seen myself feeling. Love. The word strikes me as odd to write it...and perhaps, in the grand scheme of things, it is for the best that he is not around. My powers, my studies, what I strive for, he would see me as some monster, as he did in some way...I remember the words he told me, that I was a "dangerous man" and that I should seek goodness, and try to break the bond I sealed by willingly signing my soul to the Nine Hells, or lose him. I...reluctantly, agreed. And that is when I got my scar...and then shortly thereafter, Sascha grew more distant, and now he is gone.

I had never felt things that would bring me fear, much does not bother me. But finding something that brought me that joy, and seeing it snatched away was wrenching. I experienced a brief period of melancholy and I could not tear myself away from my books. Though I have learned of the vampire Vashan being destroyed, I regret not being able to aid those I promised I would help. I learned of my friends, Piper and Aerendyl, having split and that Piper was a victim to Vashan. All the more reason to fuel guilt. But, I cannot let it dwell. I have to push forward and grow stronger.

I have seen many new faces, and I feel myself...detached from them. Maybe this land, and the jaded effect it has on the locals is seeping in. Or perhaps it is the corruption in this land that is doing it. I see fearful faces, bright faces, and anywhere in between and I feel...distant. Because they could easily end up dead, or they disappear into the Mists, never to be seen again. I can understand why the locals have the mindset they do now. I feel like there is...something evading me, some spark that I cannot grasp but I know not what and it is driving me, one step before the other to find it.

Or perhaps this is how I experience 'heartbreak', it is unbecoming of me, and I was foolish to allow myself to grow so sentimental, but I could not resist the lure of it all. To have someone to share such vulnerability with, and feel that bond I've seen so many others share. But I know my position puts me in danger as well to those that would get close. It is a tenuous line...

I had an amusing moment when I found the necromancer that was attacking those that reside in the outskirts, I cursed him and turned him into the form of a chicken. I thought that spell would be the end of it, but he was freed of that bond, but he was executed and burned by the garda so in the end it resolved itself. But it was a small joy, to bestow such a curse, watching as his form bent and twisted into a weak and useless animal. Perhaps it was a bit of jealous rivalry in me and I have done well to guard my secret. I know were it ever to be revealed, those that were called my friends would turn on me in a moments notice. Or maybe not...my friends have seen my spells, they know the extent of my power and may not be so quick to turn. But I will not risk such a discovery, not now...

I no longer feel the presence of the Hells watching after me...or perhaps they do but do so from a distance. Or maybe it is like the clerics who hail from lands outside of this place, where their connection to their deity is weakened and no longer feel them in their hearts. Maybe it is the same for me...but given the evil of this place, I find that harder to take comfort in. And it would not nullify a contract in either case. Still, there is small comfort in that...

I will find what it is I seek, even if it kills me..."
{Active Characters}
Enryn Lewe
Eoghan
Hasani Fezim

CorruptiveAries

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 08:16:35 PM »
Enryn shook off the bitter chill from the night air after he had finished his errands and tasks for the day. Gathering the appropriate spell components, creating what tonics he could, and mentally checking off what he needed to complete before his journey. With a content sigh he sits at the desk, the candle flickering in the room as the chill faded from his skin as he penned in his journal...

I've gained some new achievements as of late with my arcane studies, and have gleaned much from it as I have taken another step forward in learning more mysteries of the Art. Of course, the spells and incantations I have learned, I cannot use in the public eye, but it is still worthwhile power to have at the ready just in case things go poorly. Or for the right price. My theories on evading the notice of the Hells has been proven wrong. He (or perhaps they...) know my soul is growing stronger. When I awoke the other morning, I noticed the mark that had been placed upon me as evidence of my pledge has grown more pronounced. I know the mark well, but the shape and obvious state of it will be damning should I ever be subject to a closer examination...

Another reason to remain careful and vigilant.

I ran into Piper, and we caught up and had pleasant conversation on our respective time and how things have been. I had told her some of what has been on my mind, and that is that I feel I need to move on (for the time being) from Vallaki, and make my way to the Port (Short for Port-A-Lucine, another land far from Barovia). There are differing reasons as to why I want to make this journey. Some I had shared with her, I feel as if I have learned what I can in this land and what it is willing to reveal to me. And with the sudden sightings and attacks from the giant bat, and wolf (curious omens I must say) that have been attacking people, and if I want my magic to progress I will need to move past this land. I feel a change of scenery would do me well and Piper divulged on how to find her when I arrive.

I had told her about my mental state as of late, I can feel myself growing distant from those around me. I have largely stayed around Vallaki due to...sentimental reasons, and it has become in some ways, a home to me. I do enjoy when I can use my spells to aid (though in truth it is the joy of showing others my power) when needed during the explorations to the various crypts. There have been some close and dangerous moments, namely when myself and others have pursued vampires for their fangs and the treasures that lie in their crypts. However, such things when I recount were tactical errors caused by a combination of arrogance, and greed. But, I am not one to shy away from danger, I just do not want my mortal coil cut before my prime. Not when I have made such progress as I have.

For the time being I am working on gathering the currency, as it is my understanding that the Port is highly expensive, namely due to the wealthy culture that permeates the land...I feel as if I am stepping back into my younger years. What draws me more, and what I am most curious of, is to see their magical teachings, in the tomes I have uncovered and from what others that have visited have said, they are far more accepting of magic there. That is another factor driving my need for currency, as I will need all I can to be able to purchase and acquire whatever wondrous trinkets and spells they are willing to sell. Perhaps being in a place where I would not be dubbed a monster and hunted down by frightened guards will allow me to progress much further. Nor would I have to make a trek through blinding snow and evading crag cats to get scrolls just to get to that lone tower. Piper also spoke of the land of Hazlan and about a tournament that is held there, for both warriors as well as spellcasters. Perhaps one day I shall enter such a tournament, but I would have to be careful...that is a thought for another day.

Perhaps I can find someone that will share the same interests as I. But, as before, such a thing would make me vulnerable and I have learned that lesson all to well. However I am pleased to hear that Piper is happy, but saddened that Aerendyl is not around...I do not know the details but I am curious (Has he been corrupted in some way?). Even still, I would consider him a friend unless he has grossly proven otherwise and would be a danger. The number of those I would call my friends, grows fewer with the mists snatching them away. I suppose I could always make new ones, but I must take great caution...though I have been careful not to reveal myself more than I am willing to allow.

Time will tell how fruitful this trip will be. Collecting the currency has been a steady process, but once I have a satisfactory fortune (At the very least enough to get by) I will make my way there as I had promised. And from there, a new chapter will begin for myself. Hopefully, it will be a positive one.
{Active Characters}
Enryn Lewe
Eoghan
Hasani Fezim

CorruptiveAries

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 09:48:33 PM »
Sitting in the tent at the Mist Camp, Enryn takes out his journal after finding himself a comfortable spot and begins writing once more, occasionally looking about from the sounds of the vardo arriving with travelers or people speaking outside...

Much has happened in the past weeks that I do not know where to start...leaving Vallaki and being in the place known as the Mist Camp has been...helpful, mentally and otherwise for my wellbeing. My studies are progressing more than when I resided in Vallaki and I feel it is...safer here in some ways to be myself, or even to have quiet when I wish it without risk or worry of the Garda throwing their weight around. Despite this locale, it is not lonely. Piper, Snarin, his wife Kostea who also was whisked into the Mists, the priestess Hypatia, and a few others I have come to know and be acquainted with are here regularly, and opportunities to practice my magics and utilize some of my under used spells and incantations has given me some challenges...

I have not seen Aerendyl in months but from information Snarin has told me, he is in Port, working for a noble house if I recall correctly. Snarin has proven to be a valuable ally and a great boon when travelling. His martial prowess far exceeds my own, but in return my protective wards have helped us come back with the skin on our backs. I have had a few...close calls, of which I shall write later. It is a strange thing, this camp...one can even walk into the mists themselves, but there is not a way to return home. It feels...disorienting. Like walking in a dream. And the creatures that emerge attack swiftly, and with more deadly accuracy than even I at times, anticipate. In one incident, we encountered a dragon of all creatures. But not like ones I recall reading descriptions of, perhaps not a true dragon. But I remember it bearing down on me, a sharp, piercing pain, and then blackness...for a time until the priestess brought me back. Judging by the state of things, I had been mauled badly by the creature and I owe my return to the priestess Hypatia.

As we travelled further into the Mists, we entered a hellish realm. I do not know if it was truly the Nine Hells, or if it was in my theory, some spot of corruption given physical form that the fiends have been attracted to. I felt something within my being, like an itch inside of me I could not scratch welling within me during the time we were there. As if my soul knew from the devils that wondered that it belonged to them. Not them specifically, I do not know what devilish being they truly service, but I do not think it is Mammon. If it were, I am sure I would have been struck down in some fashion. But, to see the devils in person as we fought them was a humbling experience.

As we delved further, we encountered other fiendish creatures, and I even faced the feared Balor, one of the strongest of the demons. With the scattered tomes, I have learned and pieced together a few mysteries that I had been questioning when I had arrived here, but I had another mishap where I almost perished again. Thankfully, I was healed and saved from that as I felt my life ebbing away...remarkable, and enlightening all the same. It put into perspective that I need to progress further in my magics.

I dwell on things I cannot control. There was news I did not hope to hear, Piper was with child, but the child unfortunately was lost in an attack. As a, friend...it saddened me to hear of her plight and her pain. I wanted to try and bring her child back, but I am no healer. And I am sure there are rituals I could have performed, but it would end up being more trouble than it would be needed. And I would not wish something terrible to backfire on her. Snarin divulged that he has felt that same loss. I myself have never fathered children, and in my line of work and preferences for company that is not something that will happen. But I can understand the sense of loss all the same. But as I adventure and their trust in me and powers grows, there are times I have been tempted to reveal myself. But I would not dare risk being cut down within moments of uttering out the words. They may be understanding...for a time. But much like Sascha did, they would begin to see me as a danger, and a risk for tampering with such energies and my life would end shortly thereafter. For now it is best to keep it hidden, as I have done so in my time here. The only ones that knew of my secrets are gone now, not by my hand, but by fate and the mists. Or perhaps the Hells themselves did it to preserve the seed of corruption in my soul.

I truly wonder what lies ahead of me for myself...

Enryn closes the journal, tucking it in his bag before he stood up, adjusting his boots and preparing himself for what new challenges awaited him as he opened the tent flap into the misty grove and seeing the small swirls of fog dancing just at the edges...
{Active Characters}
Enryn Lewe
Eoghan
Hasani Fezim

CorruptiveAries

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 12:19:22 AM »
Another entry is penned into Enryn's journal...

"So it is official. I have chosen to align myself with a group here. It took some deliberation, but I accepted and took the necessary vows to become a Crow. A Maester, they refer to me as. I suppose my new 'brothers' have respect for my skills, and the others I have met have been welcoming to say the least. I'd seen their leader, Jerick a few times but had not known him very well. Lance I knew from travels with Snarin. Edwin and Efren I have only met recently and they were there for my oath taking.

I suppose it is a bit ironic in some ways, all the rest considering. But, it is a...interesting feeling. Perhaps it is my natural tendency for order and structure, and having a proper title as well. People know of the Crows, and having that reputation carry with me. It will help for my own personal studies or when investigations need to be pursued. Thankfully they have not been restrictive in allowing me to pursue my own interests and studies, so long as I not do anything that would harm them or cause them a poor reputation. All the more reason to hide my secrets and keep them closer than ever. I trust them to stand behind my back during travels, but trusting someone with your secrets is another matter entirely. Time will tell.

I feel this was exactly what I needed as the new knowledge and field experience with the Crows allowed me to work out a final few pieces in the circle of magic I was pursuing and the powers and mysteries I've unlocked have been quite a boon when I have done my own private testing of them. I'll need to write later when more eventful things happen. I have a strong feeling that things will becoming more interesting in the near future. "
{Active Characters}
Enryn Lewe
Eoghan
Hasani Fezim