You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Har'Akir tombs and Adventures  (Read 1664 times)

derkotushka

• Chaotic Evil
  • Undead Master
  • No, you are not special.
Har'Akir tombs and Adventures
« on: September 19, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
Everyone loves Har'Akir dungeons, mummies, sands and ninjaloot it.
But everyone knows what pillaging tombs(even cursed tombs!) can bring very bad consequences for anyone! But in POTM, characters in few dungeons have only temporary reduced will saves. And that is all consequences what your character may get for stealing goods from temple.
Robbing this tombs also almost make to impossible to play native character from Amber Wastes. When it is main spot for loot and exp in mid levels - but any normal character from Muhar cannot just enter in this temples. It is against their culture.

Anyhow...
I made this topic to suggest add something more to this dungeons. More than just reducing will save.
Triggering Bestrow Curse spell in few spots on all characters?
Reducing ALL saves?
Reducing randomly some ability scores?
Place curses spell on chests?

ANYTHING will be better than what is now.
Anubis and Sobek temples is evil temples and maybe in some cases it can be ok stealing treasure from them but stealing goods from temple of harvest without any punishment - breaks my heart.

What other thinks?
It is can be good?
It can be properly balanced?

Or just forget it and left how it is?

Share your thoughts!
С любовью, безымянная звезда.

zDark Shadowz

Re: Har'Akir tombs and Adventures
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
There are plenty of traps already to navigate, extremely difficult to disarm and do a fair bit of damage on top of those stupidly potent critters inside. If anyone is ninja looting these it isn't really a ninja-loot.

They're being outright epic tombraiders navigating all the dangerous traps and foes and finding secret passages (if any).

If you want some traps to bestow curses for more thematic relevance, by all means :) regular folks without a rogue that try break their way through will be heavily punished for breaking into these tombs, as they should be?

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »
can we add stuff like this for people who solo the night spawns for $$$$?

after all, you are disturbing the topside of all these ancient burial grounds and killing their priests for gold.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:31:49 PM by Legion XXI »

GeneralBonobo

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
these things shouldnt affect paladins though

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:44:37 PM »
I like the idea of curses on the chests. It would be very fitting thematically. Trespassing is bad, but stealing is a sin. Be even cooler if it could be disarmed by an extremely skilled rogue. It may also make people leerier of looting the tombs.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 07:54:23 PM »
So, any unique trap ideas then? As long as they can be disabled*

Trap trigger results:
Bestow curses / level drain (basic traps that will hinder future open lock/search/disable trap checks if not dealt with)
Summon a scarab swarm with blindsight (You hear a jar break as you open the tomb)
Clouds of noxious vapour (The sound of cloth tears as a bag inside the tomb deflates quickly), maybe Cloudkill as the spell as an easy level restrictive trap.
Invisibility Purge
Quick-acting Diseases (Would need to break stealth to drink a potion of curation)
Power Word; Stun (makes a creepy enough noise that awakens a nearby mummy as well that'll shamble its way over.)
Pitfall (sends someone to a spiked area with piercing-type weather damage, a single transition in the pit leads to a waypoint near the triggered trap, create the waypoint when & where trap is triggered, deleting any existing waypoints first, maybe an option to climb in after someone who failed too.)
Basic spikes and negative/holy traps as additional filler.

Basically traps with ideas that would be more fatal to someone if they were alone or a low level. Place the effects into one trap script that selects one at random from a list so you never know what you're going to get.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:03:28 PM by zDark Shadowz »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 03:44:47 AM »
Oh, I had an idea.
You know some other Indiana Jones type stuff...
Like maybe a scene in a room where you trigger a dialogue by stepping on a plate... That you hear hissing and slithering then from a trapdoor in the wall or ceiling out pour large poisonous snakes!

I want to see a snake pit I guess?

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »
Fir the love of all things holy and unholy not another pitfall trap.. the one in hotep is frustrating enough with the push back

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »
I don't read derkot's post as merely wanting the dungeon to be harder. The point is to give more of the sense that you are desecrating a tomb/temple.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:33:38 AM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
Fir the love of all things holy and unholy not another pitfall trap.. the one in hotep is frustrating enough with the push back

Oh yeah I almost forgot about that one. The spikey pit can trap you hard...
Do you think a giant rolling boulder would be too tricky to implement?

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »

Oh yeah I almost forgot about that one. The spikey pit can trap you hard...
Do you think a giant rolling boulder would be too tricky to implement?

I'm not sure how it could be added in. I could probably see more, extremely deadly snakes or maybe those brain burrowing scarabs in the mummy. I have seen a few servers with traps that are more actual puzzles to since like, you have to walk a specific path or you die trap.
(You had to spell out the person's name by walking on the tiles which was the safe path and if you stepped on the wrong letter instead death.

There could be deadly poison darts trap, or maybe a statue comes to life if you fail a test as a trap.

Or perhaps something could be put in to where say if a certain statue of a good is destroyed those that damaged it are afflicted by a heavy curse or mummy rott. (Looking at you people who destroy that Sobek statue just fur exp :P) then again I REALLY wish mummy rot functioned like it should with it being a magical curse so needs remove curse before remove disease can truely remove it.

That said Har'akir is often one of the few places where I like the dungeons even if they are a bit lackluster in some departments.
These are places where WE are the intruders and grave robbers with deadly traps to and puzzles to keep intruders out

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »
True!

Indie: It had to be snakes...

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 10:49:17 PM »
I privately cursed about it but I liked the short period of time that the trap in harvest temple was a poison cloud instead of the blindness. Even some diversity in what traps do besides damage is always nice. Especially when its appropriate I am a big fan of ambush traps, like some locations do in the outskirts morninglord church. Would make it much more difficult for a mage to just run in and fireball everything, especially if it was just tinkered a tiny bit every month or so to throw off routine.

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 02:42:44 PM »
Spoiler: show
I privately cursed about it but I liked the short period of time that the trap in harvest temple was a poison cloud instead of the blindness. Even some diversity in what traps do besides damage is always nice. Especially when its appropriate I am a big fan of ambush traps, like some locations do in the outskirts morninglord church. Would make it much more difficult for a mage to just run in and fireball everything, especially if it was just tinkered a tiny bit every month or so to throw off routine.

Seasonally varied traps would be awesome; Hopefully there's templates so the devs don't have to manually do every single one from scratch!