You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Elemental summon feat suggestion  (Read 861 times)

Fungal Artillery

• Undead Master
Elemental summon feat suggestion
« on: September 15, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
In 3.5 D&D Summon Monster spells come with the ability to choose your type of summon. Since that is not so in NWN and PoTM has its own system for it, I would like to propose something to give a bit of viability and reliability to high level elemental summons.

Feat: Elemental Binding
Type of Feat: General
Prerequisite: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Elemental
Required For: None
Specifics: The character is able to choose which type of Elemental they wish to summon using Summon Creature VII - IX. Casting a Summon Creature spell VII - IX can no longer result in summoning a dread elemental.
Use: Selected

The way I see this working is an active effect that the player can trigger on themselves using the feat. It could have a radial menu with the 4 choices: Air, Earth, Fire, Water.

Losing the probability of summoning a hostile dread elemental and thus wasting the spell is inviting as well, and comes with the cost of feat investment. This would allow for more specific tactics involving the elemental and also roleplay flavor.

I personally hardly use these spells because of the probability of my character summoning something they are directly aligned against (water or dread). And while the dread elemental summon might be a setting specific thing, doesn't it make sense this hurdle could be overcome by expertise in the field? (= feat investment).

Links:
http://nwnravenloft.wikia.com/wiki/Augment_Elemental
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm
"A man in a robe, claiming communion with the divine? Madness." - Narrator, Darkest Dungeon

Ken14

• Undead Master
Re: Elemental summon feat suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
That sounds like a good feat for aspiring elemental conjurers.

Though, possibly more in tune with ravenloft might be to turn the feat into 'Dread Elemental Binding' , which would :

1) Raise the chance of an dread elemental being called forth ( from 25% to 50%, maybe?)

2) Either bind or give a chance at binding ( also 50%?) the dread elemental at your command.

Perhaps also an Reputation penalty? Presumably, anyone who willingly binds dread elementals to his will might be considered in a negative light.

Anyway, my thoughts, feedback would be great!