You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Ninja Looting  (Read 1605 times)

noah25

• Dark Lord
Ninja Looting
« on: September 14, 2018, 11:20:45 PM »
I have seen a few discussions on ninja looting lately (which have ended terribly) but I would like to have a civil and reasonable one about the topic.

1) I like that ninja looting is on the server, I realize its not going anywhere so I have no intention of wasting time on that.

2) People should be able to play their characters however they want, I have no desire or interest in restricting that.

3) I have always believe in the spirit of allowing people to play their characters that comes with an unspoken understanding. That comes with IC consequences you accept by playing your character in this style.

What I would like to propose is some mechanical as well as some rule changes about how ninjalooting operates.

1) I would like to seriously discuss the right of the party to engage a ninja looter if they catch them in the act. While it is not stealing, I certaintly can see IC justification for it being construed as so. Let people ninja loot, that's all good and dandy. I just feel like with it comes consent to possible PVP, while following all other PVP rules and protocol of course.

2) I would love to see a mechanical changed to ninjalooting. So long as a high portion of loot is in chests I would love to see a system where certain classes (i.e maybe rangers and rogues) can make checks to see when a chest was last opened by the amount of dust, residue, positions of the mechanisms etc. This could lead to a lot of RP when someone in your party can identify its highly likely the ninjalooter is still around and about. I think people also always blame low loot on ninja looting, and that could help to show that some times loot is just low and you need to deal with it.

3) Rangers being able to track is currently not very useful or existent on the server. A system that creates a DC check to search for footprints while a rogue is moving silently could be another avenue for RP. The party could even spend some time trying to track the looter, which could make the experience a lot more meaningful than an empty chest.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
Re: Ninja Looting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 11:56:55 PM »
1) I would like to seriously discuss the right of the party to engage a ninja looter if they catch them in the act. While it is not stealing, I certaintly can see IC justification for it being construed as so.

You should always do what your CHARACTER would do, regarding beliefs, alignment, ect.  Just because you as a player find ninja looting annoying doesn't mean you PC would commit murder.  Also keep in mind, you shouldn't be attacking people just because they loot an area.  If you are in a dungeon, and a looter runs past you and loots to purposefully and knowingly deny you the loot, then that's one thing.  But if you come into an area just as a looter is leaving, it'd be in extremely poor taste to try and attack them (and potentially even against the rules, if they're not trying to buy into the conflict at all).  The person looting didn't even know you were coming in behind them, how could you fault them for stealing FROM MONSTERS?  You literally do the same thing by looting bodies that loot spawns in.  Why would it make it any different IC because you also killed every living thing on the map?

2) I would love to see a mechanical changed to ninjalooting.  So long as a high portion of loot is in chests I would love to see a system where certain classes (i.e maybe rangers and rogues) can make checks to see when a chest was last opened by the amount of dust, residue, positions of the mechanisms etc. This could lead to a lot of RP when someone in your party can identify its highly likely the ninjalooter is still around and about. I think people also always blame low loot on ninja looting, and that could help to show that some times loot is just low and you need to deal with it.

Considering that when a ninjalooter hits an area, it only stays "looted" for about 15 minutes, I'm not sure how much more specific information you'd want.  They were obviously there recently.  As far as getting some kind of hint that the chest is looted - considering you'd need to walk up to the chest to see this in the first place, why not just open it and look?  If there's stuff in there, it hasn't been looted.  Ninjalooters don't take stuff out and put crappier stuff in.  And when they take some of the objects, you can tell, because the remaining objects will be out of order, with blank spots in the chest.

3) Rangers being able to track is currently not very useful or existent on the server. A system that creates a DC check to search for footprints while a rogue is moving silently could be another avenue for RP. The party could even spend some time trying to track the looter, which could make the experience a lot more meaningful than an empty chest.

Rangers having expended tracking in some capacity is cool, but as a replacement for listen being rolled against Move Silently doesn't make sense.  Why not have it be a separate system entirely, instead of doing exactly what another skill already does?  Like checking at transitions to see if someone has passed recently and get a little information about them, rather than looking at a footprint and knowing a sneak is right next to you.

I'll say what I always say when ninjalooting comes up.  I've been screwed over by people WAY above the intended level range for an area selfishly soloing dungeons (mainly you cleric/druic/wiz players) many, many, many more times than I've ever had someone loot out in front of me.  In all the years I've played here, I've been foiled by a looter less than 5 times.  But more than once a month when I'm actively dungeoning, I have to leave an area because a high level cleric comes in and decides he's wrecking the entire ML crypts/terg ruins for a few herbs or some easy loot.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 12:02:39 AM by Legion XXI »

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:07:12 AM »
1) obviously this wouldn't be in the context and good characters and would be situational, I had just been told previously by devs and dms that you could not use ninja looting as a basis for starting pvp.

2) Yes OOC you know its been 15 minutes. This means nothing for you IC, you have no way to roleplay it, and as far as roleplay and investigation is concerned there is a huge difference between fifteen minutes and fifteen seconds.

3) I wasn't suggesting it should function as listen does. What you laid forth is precisely what I would like to see happen we just provided example of two different circumstances in which it would be applicable based on the timeline and location in which the tracks were discovered.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:11:10 AM »
I'll say what I always say when ninjalooting comes up.  I've been screwed over by people WAY above the intended level range for an area selfishly soloing dungeons (mainly you cleric/druic/wiz players) many, many, many more times than I've ever had someone loot out in front of me.  In all the years I've played here, I've been foiled by a looter less than 5 times.  But more than once a month when I'm actively dungeoning, I have to leave an area because a high level cleric comes in and decides he's wrecking the entire ML crypts/terg ruins for a few herbs or some easy loot.

This. If we ever were to address the issue of ninjalooting it'd be in a greater soloing context but that won't happen anytime soon. Soloers are far more disruptive than ninjalooters.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:18:39 AM »
I don't think ninja loots are overly disruptive I have just always felt its been a very OOC action as far as its interaction with others. Obviously its motivations are extremely IC. I just think it would help the community see ninja looting more positively and be a more beneficially collective experience if additional measures were taken to increase the potential for RP and interaction surrounding ninja looting.

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:25:56 AM »
I have just always felt its been a very OOC action as far as its interaction with others.
So is borderline-OOC dungeoning.
So is grinding herbs.
So are clerics who just dungeon and social RP.

Why don't we have mechanical coshes to deal with these problems? Clerics should only be able to level up if they spend 1hr a day on religious RP. Monks can only pick up a herb a minute. We need to rework the xp cap system because people can still get to level 20 in 12 months if they grind 25 hours a day.

I get it. Ninjalooting just isn't fair. They waltz in and take the loot I have to work really hard for. I spent hours ruthlessly optimising my cleric build, working out the best weapon to use for DPS (and then picking a diety that favours that weapon). I never RP my Dex dump stat because I'm too busy typing spamming Sacred Healing to clear mobs way under my level.
It's not faaaiir!

I think the double-standard visible here is appaling.
We don't need more mechanical coshes, we need people to take a long hard look at themselves and their we behaviour before blaming other people for their misery.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:19:32 PM »
You specifically took what I said very far from its context. I am not looking to hinder or tamper ninja looters in anyway. I just think it is an action that the server could benefit in terms of immersion if it were made more IC through the things I suggested above.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »
The point he is making is, what exactly is it about ninjalooting that breaks immersion, that isn't also true of regular dungeoning?

Nothing. Ninjalooting is a legitimate IC approach to wanting to make a profit. Indeed, trying to undermine ninjalooting is essentially trying to diminish a valid PvE IC approach. Some people just want to get the loot with as little violence as possible. That is 100% a legitimate IC appraoch.

No other criticism levied against ninjalooting doesn't also bear up against other behaviour common in craft grinding or dungeoning; it's just that some people choose to over-focus on ninjalooting because they don't like it. Yet, I also agree with Legion on this point; I find soloers to be far more disruptive to my dungeoning experience than ninjalooters ever are.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »
I am not arguing it breaks immersion. I am not arguing it is not a legitimate IC method. I am merely suggesting it would be more enjoyable for the party who comes across a ninja looter to be able through IC means to determine an area has been looted, when and how it was looted etc. This isn't some attack levied against ninja looting or claiming that it is somehow an ooc act. Look back at my original posting. I am merely putting forth some suggestions that I think would make ninja looting more enjoyable for the community as a whole. Literally nothing I have suggested is an impediment to or a claim that ninja looting is illegitimate.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »

I think the double-standard visible here is appaling.
We don't need more mechanical coshes, we need people to take a long hard look at themselves and their we behaviour before blaming other people for their misery.
[/quote]

For example, I am not sure how any of this was gathered from what I was proposing. I'm not blaming anyone for any "misery" that I don't possess for the system currently in place.