Author Topic: Cacophonic Burst should be a Bard spell.  (Read 993 times)

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
Cacophonic Burst should be a Bard spell.
« on: August 19, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »
Title. While scrolls of this spell can be found freely (and indeed I have a stack of them), the Cacophonic Burst spell is not only strange for being on no spell list, but should probably be added to the bard list (at circle 5?).

See http://nwnravenloft.wikia.com/wiki/Cacophonic_Burst.

Drew

• New to the Mists
Re: Cacophonic Burst should be a Bard spell.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 06:06:07 PM »
I've actually spoken to Bad_Bud on this topic, and according to him he left it as a scroll only spell because he hated the visual effect and didn't want to see it everywhere. That being said, cacophonic burst would be one of the best 5th circle damage spells if implemented, so for sheer selfish reasons I wouldn't mind seeing it XD

It NEEDS to be 5th circle, though. It outclasses fireball in every way except in certain niche uses (i.e. things that take double damage from fire). It falls in line with cone of cold.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:07:51 PM by Drew »

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
I've actually spoken to Bad_Bud on this topic, and according to him he left it as a scroll only spell because he hated the visual effect and didn't want to see it everywhere. That being said, cacophonic burst would be one of the best 5th circle damage spells if implemented, so for sheer selfish reasons I wouldn't mind seeing it XD

It NEEDS to be 5th circle, though. It outclasses fireball in every way except in certain niche uses (i.e. things that take double damage from fire). It falls in line with cone of cold.

Unlike P&P D&D, sonic damage is resisted in this game as normal by all the Resist <Element> effects. It's only as powerful as a fireball that goes up to 15d6 damage instead of 10d6. And everything incorporeal on this server was made immune to sonic damage.

However, yes, it should be 5th-circle, probably. Even at 5th-circle I don't think it would see much use, due to bards' limited spell slots, and the presence of Ethereal Visage and Ice Storm (which allows no saving throw) at the same level.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 06:18:11 PM by BattleCupcake »

Drew

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
It still stands that more enemies resist fire and cold naturally than sonic. That being said, I'm in agreement with you about its main perk being the higher damage cap, which is in line with the fifth circle spell cone of cold.

And in all honesty, each casting matters more with the 2 DC bump from being a fifth circle spell anyway.