Author Topic: OCR mechanic on a Role-playing level  (Read 2146 times)

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
OCR mechanic on a Role-playing level
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:25:11 AM »
Recently, I had a thought and realized that there just isn't enough clarification on the matter. At least not that I've been able to find.
We know that assuming NPC reactions is considered Cheesing, Meta-gaming or simply rule-breaking.
This is for instance why we are unable to PvP in front of NPCs without DM oversight.
Or why we can't break into factions with NPCs without the same. So I got thinking.

NPCs can react to you when your OCR is high enough, for whatever reason.
Be you a criminal or a race that has high OCR. So let me paint the following scenario:

Your character for some visual reason has high OCR, however, this OCR can be lowered with the right kind of equipment or magic to be within acceptable levels.
However, you can not hide what you are because of horns, tails, being a half-orc or anything of the kind. On a mechanical level, the NPCs are no longer reacting to you.

So in this scenario, let us assume Port-Au-Lucine, could a Gendarme still ask you to leave because you are 'frightening the gentry' as is a common phrase.
Or would that be considered an assumption of NPC reactions, when mechanically they do not in fact react.
"What is a day, without  a blessed night?
And what is peace, without a blessed fight?"

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
Re: OCR mechanic on a Role-playing level
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »
More like you're frightning the Gendarme and he probably pissing his pants but brave enough to ask you to leave. Also was there attempt to Hide Wings/Tails/Two heads RP wise.. Graphic Wise .. or anywise ? or simply beating the Mechanic by boosting CHA to by pass theirs hostility ? If the Latter they might not notice it but when they do you might creat public panic, disturb the nobles and peasants. The Gendarme do not want that and might ask you to leave or go back to the Sewers :) My view is Roleplay it out with PC not NPC. Mechanic NPC reaction is there to Enchance the Experience.

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »
More like you're frightning the Gendarme and he probably pissing his pants but brave enough to ask you to leave. Also was there attempt to Hide Wings/Tails/Two heads RP wise.. Graphic Wise .. or anywise ? or simply beating the Mechanic by boosting CHA to by pass theirs hostility ? If the Latter they might not notice it but when they do you might creat public panic, disturb the nobles and peasants. The Gendarme do not want that and might ask you to leave or go back to the Sewers :) My view is Roleplay it out with PC not NPC. Mechanic NPC reaction is there to Enchance the Experience.

Right, I agree. What you say is sensible. But my main interest is in the clear and defined expectation of how to handle the NPC reactions.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »

Right, I agree. What you say is sensible. But my main interest is in the clear and defined expectation of how to handle the NPC reactions.

The job of PC Gendarmes and Garda are to enforce the setting first and foremost. If they determine that your character would illicit a negative response, chances are they would. Gendarmes and Garda have been given more responsibility in the past few months when fulfilling that role, to the point they can now physically make their associate NPCs (Garda Recruits, Dementlieuse Gendarmes) speak. Until a DM is involved that overrules their judgement on the affair, or a superior officer in their ranks, they are what you go with.

Now, that’s not to say that you’ll instantly be kicked out, or that every response from every Gendarme/Garda will be the same. Because sometimes you won’t, and they most definitely will vary. If you’ve managed to lower your OCR to the point NPC’s aren’t yammering, and you’re swathed in robes trying to conceal your appearance realistically, Gendarmes generally won’t get too involved unless you’re in a check point. Even then, so long as the NPC’s aren’t spamming, I personally don’t care that much OOC. ICly, my character might tell you. To keep a low profile. In Vallaki, however, you’re boned no mater what, because while freaks exist in Dementlieu and can be the center of circuses and freak shows, oddities and so forth, in Vallaki, you’re a disgusting Caliban who needs to die. They’ll have drastically different reactions, because there enforcing two different settings.

I hope that helps.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
I think the question is only about NPCs when DMs aren't present (and the NPCs aren't being controlled by a PC).

If the PC's OCR is not high enough to trigger an NPC's script but the PC's appearance would still be striking, in other words...how should it be handled? The gendarme in the example is assumed to be an NPC.

My not-a-DM response would be that if the mechanical response isn't triggered, then the PC isn't cheesing. Having influence or charisma or whatever to lower OCR means just that IMO: the PC for some reason influences NPCs to not react as aggressively as the appearance would otherwise indicate. Perhaps it's fear, perhaps it's force of personality / presence. But the NPCs are taken enough with the individual that she is not treated as someone else with her strange appearance might be.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 07:50:05 PM »
I think the question is only about NPCs when DMs aren't present (and the NPCs aren't being controlled by a PC).

If the PC's OCR is not high enough to trigger an NPC's script but the PC's appearance would still be striking, in other words...how should it be handled? The gendarme in the example is assumed to be an NPC.

My not-a-DM response would be that if the mechanical response isn't triggered, then the PC isn't cheesing. Having influence or charisma or whatever to lower OCR means just that IMO: the PC for some reason influences NPCs to not react as aggressively as the appearance would otherwise indicate. Perhaps it's fear, perhaps it's force of personality / presence. But the NPCs are taken enough with the individual that she is not treated as someone else with her strange appearance might be.

Exactly, I am looking for an official response on this from the staff because it just isn't that clear cut what is correct in this instance.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
It's also against the rules to ignore the NPCs, whether or not the DM's are present. So you still have to assume that if you have made no attempt to cover your abnormalities, that the increased cha and influence alone should not actually be enough of a legit reason to assume they won't freak out a bit seeing you. It might just mean that they aren't emboldened to scream. So, in that regard, "Your'e scaring the locals" is a legitimate response to a zero attempt to hide something that is terrifying to the ordinary folks that while we are not allowed to RP for them, we must acknowledge exist and have cannological responses to such things.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 12:19:52 AM »
So you still have to assume that if you have made no attempt to cover your abnormalities, that the increased cha and influence alone should not actually be enough of a legit reason to assume they won't freak out a bit seeing you.

No, this begs the question by saying we must "assume" their reaction. WYSIWYG.

OCR is a mechanic that's implemented. If a PC's OCR is not high enough to trigger a reaction, I would argue that anything more requires an overt action on the PC's part (such as the example of combat in front of the NPC). There is little point in a PC investing all those points in influence to reduce OCR if appearance alone overrides the mechanics.

BTW, I've seen PCs cast See Invisibility on caravan drivers so that the Vistani could interact with the PC. I've also seen bards use bard song to influence shop keepers' reactions. Those (as actions) seem much more ignoring of NPCs than simply standing there and using passive Influence to affect their reaction.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:54 AM »
I've had it previously explained to me by one of the staff that OCR is considered an OOC mechanic purely for the purposes of stopping inappropriate exploits when certain races or notorious PCs are involved; whether this remains the official stance of the server however, I'm unaware.

In the examples given of a high OCR character walking through town with their OCR lowered due to influence, charisma and other such factors, I have a character that during it's play made it his business to work in and around Vallaki as a Half-Orc, though visually the only telltale sign of this was his phenotype; specifically his OCR was even lowered artificially by a DM to represent this. Given that historically it's not out of the ordinary to encounter simply very large people and my own character was sometimes dwarfed by others when you considered that their bios routinely claimed heights in excess of six foot, I had little issue in moving through the area.

My interactions with the Garda were often a coin flip that came down to OOC opinions on phenotype, falling into one of two camps. Those that considered the WYSIWYG rule sacrosanct when it came to a large phenotype being adequate excuse to expel someone for being a Caliban and those that considered the character's roleplay and those around him; IE the five foot bulky man in heavy armour built like a tank standing next to a six foot Elf wasn't all that concerning, especially when after removing his helmet he had no out of the ordinary physical features to distinguish him as freakish.

Even more tellingly, through DM interactions and events that same character became an adventurer in good standing with a certain Burgomaster, which further underlines the previous ruling I was told regarding OCR; that it's purely a mechanical system not relevant to RP outside of automated NPC responses. Until I hear otherwise from the staff I'll continue to labour under the assumption that the previous ruling stands and that people should judge characters on the roleplay they put forth, rather than relatively meta considerations.

ILLY6666

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 04:29:07 AM »
Thank you, Grendel! This is very insightful.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
What happens as a result of OCR is considered IC, such as if a guard attacks you and you kill them. By the same token, if your influence is enough to let you stay in an area, then by server rules you’re OK to be there—basically, OCR exists so we don’t have to go running around earning people for NPC ignoring. Whether individual players decide to harass you anyway is up to RP.

Note that this doesn’t excuse behaviour in front of NPCs that constitutes NPC-ignoring, it just means that your presence (except for faction bases) does not by itself constitute a rulebreak.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Torgrimmerr

• New to the Mists
  • Are you Enemy or Foe?
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
What happens as a result of OCR is considered IC, such as if a guard attacks you and you kill them. By the same token, if your influence is enough to let you stay in an area, then by server rules you’re OK to be there—basically, OCR exists so we don’t have to go running around earning people for NPC ignoring. Whether individual players decide to harass you anyway is up to RP.

Note that this doesn’t excuse behaviour in front of NPCs that constitutes NPC-ignoring, it just means that your presence (except for faction bases) does not by itself constitute a rulebreak.
Thank you Arawn for explaining.
Characters:
Sir Ringo Lightinghead: Human Paladin
Torgrimmer Hammerhead: Dwarf Cleric

Thor Lightbringer: Human Cleric (Retired)
Thorgrimmer Lightshield: Dwarf Fighter (Retired)