Author Topic: Spawn Rates  (Read 1593 times)

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
Spawn Rates
« on: August 05, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »
I believe the system that determines the spawn rates increases with a higher server load, however - I'm wondering if it's a possibility to tweak this a little.

Most of the time that I log on now (especially weekends) there are between 60 - 75 players online. When going out to try to adventure, it's pretty rare to find an appropriate level spawn - especially for mid-level ranges. Out of the last 12 or so places I've visited in the last week, I think I've found 1 mid to upper level spawn in an area that would be appropriate for the character I was playing. The other times, my group has found someone actively battling in the area or found a very minimal spawn, as though the area was just cleared out. I think our server is starting to outgrow the number of adventuring areas available, but I know with the efforts to implement EE and tweak some of the issues with it - most of the development time is going to be tied up and probably not available for expanded areas for a while.

I've noticed this has also lead more higher level characters into lower level zones, looking for anything to do. I know that we've limited how fast dungeon areas rebuild to prevent people from repeatedly grinding them - however, I think the XP cap system we have in place helps to control this issue to a good degree. I'm wondering if, after an area is cleared out - it would be possible to drop it to something like 30% of the maximum spawn instead of all the way to the bottom. That way, there would at least be something to do for a party that comes around later - and it wouldn't take quite as long to reach the higher spawn levels.

There might be something easier to do coding-wise (I admit, I know nothing about coding! :> ), but that was just the first idea that popped into my mind that might help the issue.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
Re: Spawn Rates
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »
Ill throw my support at something like This, as well as stating that's a fairly clever resolution. Also means people going in wont have complete 0, if they happen to be behind the 4 or 5 that have banded together and rampaged all lucrative dungeon spots....which I both do. And witnessed other small groups do. I hope this gets a dedicated look.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 05:51:05 PM »
This is one of the primary reasons I stepped away from the server for a while. The server's adventuring areas are structured in such a way that you are more or less required to find yourself a rogue, a mage, and a couple front-liners in order to make a party work. Assembling a party capable of doing anything is itself a task, which makes it beyond frustrating when you finally manage it only to find out that everything has been cleared out and is at low spawn.

My last adventure experience post-NCE involved a party of 6 people jazzed and ready to go.. Only to spend three solid hours wandering around with nothing to do. Weres, tergs, lich tower, spiders, outskirts crypts, raduta, invidians, ants, the caves near ants, crypt behind the ML temple, vestibule. Everything had been cleared and was at minimum spawn. After that, we called it a night. Sadly, that wasn't the only time I've been in this situation.

Moshimo

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »
I've been saying this for days now, that the server population has massively outgrown the availability of dungeons. I've been tossing around the idea of making a forum post but I've been too hesitant, fearful of being shut down immediately with the "It's about the RP, not the XP!" While that's all well and good, if that's the case, then the server level cap shouldn't be twenty. To me, it feels like you'd have to slam out hours of consistent RP to get anything even marginally comparable to what you'd get in a dungeon.

There are countless level twenties running around and I'm sure everyone else, along with myself, would love to someday be at that level, or at least somewhat close to it. However, it's seemingly becoming more work than the reward can make up for. When I go for days, only finding the remnants of what used to be a maybe minimal spawn, it's immensely discouraging and it just makes you think, "What's the point?"

I've noticed this has also lead more higher level characters into lower level zones, looking for anything to do. I know that we've limited how fast dungeon areas rebuild to prevent people from repeatedly grinding them - however, I think the XP cap system we have in place helps to control this issue to a good degree. I'm wondering if, after an area is cleared out - it would be possible to drop it to something like 30% of the maximum spawn instead of all the way to the bottom. That way, there would at least be something to do for a party that comes around later - and it wouldn't take quite as long to reach the higher spawn levels.

In my opinion, this would be a great step towards accommodating the massive increase in population over the past few months, aside from just making new dungeons.

Romulus

• Golden Sunshine Boy
  • Outlander
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
I concur 100%. Something definitely needs to change with the spawn rates in order to accomadte the increase in players. Dungeon runs are half the experience, and a lot of my RP has come from good/funny/bad/interesting runs in a dungeon somewhere.
~Heilyn Chitrarath, Dawnbringer, Barovia
~Jonathan Garrett, Hunter, Barovia

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:19:40 PM »
I have found myself recently sitting out on a great many dungeon runs with friends, just to stand around by myself because I know that inevitably it’s going to be a bunch of us running all over the server trying to find a decent spawn in any of the dungeons available to our levels. I thought for a long time that I hated doing dungeons of any sort but now I’ve come to realize that I just hate the disappointment that comes from spending all my time trying to do something an adventurer would do only to find everything empty.

Please change the spawn rate to accommodate for our growing server population.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »
We’ve got several devs, myself included, working on new dungeons. Stay tuned.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 02:54:19 PM »
 :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :dancing: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

PrimetheGrime

• Full-time Hunter, Part-time Outlaw
  • The Wayfarer Kinship
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
I've been saying this for days now, that the server population has massively outgrown the availability of dungeons. I've been tossing around the idea of making a forum post but I've been too hesitant, fearful of being shut down immediately with the "It's about the RP, not the XP!" While that's all well and good, if that's the case, then the server level cap shouldn't be twenty. To me, it feels like you'd have to slam out hours of consistent RP to get anything even marginally comparable to what you'd get in a dungeon.

There are countless level twenties running around and I'm sure everyone else, along with myself, would love to someday be at that level, or at least somewhat close to it. However, it's seemingly becoming more work than the reward can make up for. When I go for days, only finding the remnants of what used to be a maybe minimal spawn, it's immensely discouraging and it just makes you think, "What's the point?"

In my opinion, this would be a great step towards accommodating the massive increase in population over the past few months, aside from just making new dungeons.

+1

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
I don't know that "there are countless level twenties running around ." But it would seem to be a self-contradictory argument to say being level 20 is a common thing and that it needs to be easier to get to level 20. (Consequently, I assume you must think it used to be easier than it is now.)

I don't grind dungeons as a rule and thereby most of the time receive an XP bonus when I do. Since EE (approximately two months ago), I've leveled twice, from 14 to 16, while playing an alt as well and not killing myself with activity. That seems about right because should I ever reach level 20, I want to feel it is an accomplishment, not something I did through obsessive repetition and doggedness.

The increased number of players on the server does change the dynamic, but if players are smart, it's all to the good. More players mean more content is doable, when in cooperative parties. Also, because of the way XP is awarded, having additional PCs in a party (to a point) maximizes the XP the community as a whole receives from each dungeon.

Historically, my impression is that once upon a time the server had just as many players even when the size of the content was smaller.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Bastard Son

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
I dont think contradictory is the right word, at all. Its not contradictory to see those 20s (and near) and say, boy I wish I was that level, and also wish that that same group hadn't just emptied the dungeon you wanted to do.

Anyone whos read these threads are aware you don't grind dungeons, you've made that very clear, we do. And we would like to be able to do so instead of persuing dungeon after dungeon of nothing.

Ive been trying to build a new character, I have never seen the crypts at a reasonable spawn, let alone the others, its become far easier to do as BSR says and go for a higher dungeon on a lower spawn.

Historically you are incorrect, this is the highest pop the server has ever been and I believe with the most active people.
Theodore Brosk

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 07:25:47 PM »
An adventuring guild would have people running recon on areas and reporting back to make sure there was something there before issuing quests to send groups to explore what lies below.

Adventuring groups that explore without running recon to make sure they reach a place first will have the setbacks of finding places already cleared.

It's actually just the nature of adventuring being highlighted that these are the causes and effects. I've found the spawns & expectations perfectly fine on my end so far. If anything things are spawning quicker than I would expect but taking into account day / night cycle and other relevant times it's still likely fine.

Can't wait to see what these new dungeons are about. Being content over here with more content even though I've only seen a tiny sliver of the server so far.