You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Barovia - Village of Barovia - The Blood o' the Vine  (Read 24328 times)

Maryn

• Dark Power
Barovia - Village of Barovia - The Blood o' the Vine
« on: December 10, 2006, 12:48:03 AM »
A hooded woman in black has been seen staying at the Blood of the Vine inn for the last few months.  Rarely venturing out of her room, and only for short walks, she isolates herself, speaking only to the staff.  Although she has obviously tried to blend in, her identity quickly gets out.

Tidbits of a conversation between two men can be faintly heard over the music.

"Yes, the prostitute from Vallaki......"

"Oh yes" he grins, "I know the type you mean..."

"No, not like those ones...... I hear those stuck-up nobles pay her over 2,000 fangs.... such a waste...."

"Aye, no woman is worth so mu-" he stops talking as Madison walks directly past their table.  Today, the hood is gone, and her long red hair hangs smoothly and freely down her back.  She wears a simple elegant pale green dress, a bit more modest then her typical wardrobe.  She smiles softly at the two, and then exits the building. 

"2,000 fangs huh...... I guess I've got some savings...."

His friend laughs loudly  "A shame for you..... they say she hasnt taken a single client since she checked in. Strange you know....."

They shrug to each other, pay for their drinks, and leave.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:53:59 PM by Deceit »

Maryn

• Dark Power
Re: Blood o' the Vine - Village of Barovia - Gossip
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 05:44:27 AM »
Madison exited the inn with a soft sigh.  Two months.  Two months today since she had walked out the large heavy gates of Vallaki, and made the dangerous journey to Barovia.  She had taken a room set away from the usual occupancies, and asked not to be spoken of to the patrons.  The innkeeper knew that such a high-profile guest would surely bring in more revenue.  However, she paid him well for his silence, and he spoke of her to no one.  It didnt make much difference anyhow.  It only took a few days for someone to recognize her and spread the word.  It was just midday, but the sun hardly shone, and the damp streets gave off a cold, sad aura. 
          It was appropriate she thought.  Why should the sun shine so brightly, so innocently, when her fragile structured world was turning upside down.  Things were once so easy, decisions practically made for her.  As long as she followed the rules..... the rules were everything, they were the foundation of her life, without them, she was directionless. 

Rule number one..... "Never fall in love." 
Rule Number Two.... "Never fall in love with a client."

The list went on, but the first two were the most important.  Before leaving Waterdeep, she had never found issue with them.  She knew her place, she knew her rights, and what she had no right to.  No right to a chance at her own life, no right to ever truly speak her mind, no right to.... she could almost not even allow its mention in thought..... a right to real love.  Simply a life of service.  She hardly remembered life before her body no longer became her own.  At first she had resisted of course.  Then her will broke down, and she came to embrace her profession, slowly forgetting her initial impressions, until the only thing she knew was to give herself.  The men paid generously to be sure, but she was helping them..... she had to be, Mother would never lie to her......  Then the mists came, and snatched her from her safe pocket of security.  

"You going to stand there all day missy, or are you going to let me by?" the middle-aged man said with a smirk.

Standing outside the inn, she shook her head as if attempting to exit a fog.  How long had she been standing there she wondered?  "Do excuse me...." nodding politely to the man, she took off down the street, still deeply entangled in her thoughts.  If not this..... if not this life, then what?  "I dont know how to do anything!!!!" she said out loud in frustration.  A passing peasant eyed her, then muttered, crazy outlander, before moving on.  Madison bit her lip in embarrassment, then returned to her thoughts.  "Well, I dont..... sexual services, the art of conversation, and music.... what good will they be when I have outlived my usefulness?"  Age frightened her, and each year passed faster then the one before.  In a few weeks time, she would reach her twenty-first year.... then what?  Ten years left?  Maybe?  Before she had pushed the thought to the back of her mind, but today it refused to be silent.  The clock is ticking..... the small voice chimed in her head. Tick, tick ticking.....
Then there was Tarth.   Did he love her, did he just like her company?  Or was Wilthame right, was she simply a pretty toy to distract him from the ugly parts of life?  Did she love him?  She stopped dead in her tracks at this thought.  Yes, she did.  But she would never tell him so.  She only even allowed herself to believe it on rare occasions.  Today was such an occasion.  What did it matter?  What would happen if he knew?  Marriage?  She laughed out loud to herself.  He simply wasnt the type.  She walked on, the inn coming back into sight.  Making her way up to her room, she sat at the desk, and took a fresh sheet of paper from the folds of her book.  He should at least know where she was, and that she was all right.  She hoped he still cared to know. 

"Dear Tarth" she began to write with neat elegant strokes.
"I'm in Barovia.  I'll be returning soon.  I hope this finds you."

She paused and chewed on her bottom lip thoughtfully.  So many things she wanted to write, to say. 

She wrote a few words, then scratched them out.  No no, that didnt sound right.  She began to write again, but it too was simply not what she wanted to say. Scribbling the words out beyond recognition, she began to write again underneath it.

"Please do not forget me."

She nodded to herself, then signed the letter with a flourished signature.  She sealed it with a bit of wax from her candle, then made her way down the stairs to the innkeeper.

"I need a letter delivered, quickly.  Who can help me?"

The innkeeper pointed to a man across the room.

"That one.  He'll take it anywhere to anyone for the right price."

"anyone?" she answered.  "This man may be difficult to find."

"Anyone."

She nodded and made her way across the room.  The man looked up at her, then to the letter in her hands.  "Where to?" he simply asked. 

"Near Vallaki.  Possibly in the woods, or in the city, or in the outskirts....."

"Who?"

She gave him a detailed description of Tarth.

He nodded, and after discussing payment, tucked the letter in his jacket, and disappeared into the night.

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:44:25 PM »
Madison paced slowly back and forth inside her room at the Blood of the Vine inn.  One step...... two steps..... three steps..... four steps.... she sighed in frustration.  This was getting her no where.  Two days, and no word from the messenger.  Had he found him?  Was there a reply?  She bit her lip nervously and continued to pace.  Maybe she shouldn't have sent the letter, maybe Tarth was better off if she just left his life.  Would she be better off?  No no, that couldn't be the answer, could it?  Glancing out the window, she saw that the sun was almost gone.  Her stomach then growled, reminding her she had neglected food since the messenger had left.  "I suppose I should eat something....."  She picked up a long thin black cloak, and threw it over her head and around her shoulders.  It wasn't really thick enough for warmth, it was only silk, but perhaps it would shield prying eyes.  With her eyes down, she walked out the door, and straight into the man she had sent to deliver the letter.  "Oof!" he grunted, then laughed as her hood fell back.  "Be careful miss, watch your step, eh?" 
She nodded and blushed in embarrassment.  "I'm.... I'm sorry, just a lot.... on my mind and all.....  did you find him?"

"Yes, found him fine."  He paused here, and simply looked at her.

"What?" she asked him cautiously.  "Whats wrong?"

He shrugged.  "He just didn't seem your type...... but what do I know, I'm just the messenger." He smirked playfully. 

She looked up at him a bit hurt.  "Maybe I'm just sick of rich snotty nobles who think everything, including me, belongs to them!  I belong to me!" Her eyes blazed angrily, and his smile faded. 

"Well, if your going to be like that.... I had a letter for you, but now its going to cost you."

"A letter?? He wrote back??  How much??" She ran back into the room and returned with a small sack of fangs.

"Oh no darling, not that kind of payment... they were right you know, your not too smart.  But that's okay, I like that."

She frowned darkly.  "I'm not taking clients, now give me my letter, take your payment, and leave." 

He laughed maliciously.  "I suppose its -my- letter now...."  He held up the folded sealed paper just out of her reach.  "Unless you'd like to pay me for it?" He glanced inside the room, then back to her.

Her anger swelled inside her, and she shoved him back into the wall.  He fell back startled, and the letter slipped out of his hands.  She snatched it out of the air.

"I am tired of people telling me what to do!" 

He stared at her in surprise as she slammed the door.  Strange whore he thought to himself...... strange indeed.

She sat down at the desk and opened the letter quickly.

"Dear Madison,

I don't know why you left, but your reasons are your own.
you know were to find me, and I'll be here.
I willn't forget you.

Yours Truely
           Tarth De'Mealthra"

She laid the letter on the desk and placed her head in her hands.  She knew what she had to do now.  She only hoped she could.

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:03:32 AM »
// probably my last writing on Madison O'Reilly for now, enjoy!

She slipped in the front door discreetly. Dressed in a soft green dress of a simple pattern, her face and figure shrouded by a warm hooded black cloak, she drew no obvious attention to her presence.
"My usual room," the slim woman murmured to the innkeeper. "Of course, of course, always glad to welcome your business Miss O’Rei- she interrupted him in almost a whisper.  "Don’t say it.  Don’t say my name.  I need that woman... that name, to disappear."  He looked at her strangely, then whispered back to her hopefully.  "Well uh..... will she be returning?"  Madison chuckled quietly.  "Yes.... yes, someday, I hope."  He raised an eyebrow confused, and then spoke up cheerfully.  "Welcome to The Blood of the Vine Miss Vărzaru!  Here is your key, please inform us if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable.”  She offered him a soft smile and accepted the key. “Thank you.”
He looked around slowly.  “Well, um, just tell me where your things are, and we’ll have someone unpack you right away.”
She held out a medium sized velvet draw-string bag.  “This is all…”  He stared at her in disbelief.  “You…. That’s….. all?”
“Yes, that’s all, close your gaping mouth before someone sees.”  He nodded to her still murmuring to himself about only one bag.  He motioned for an employee who quickly came to his side.  He whispered in the maids ear discreetly. “Come, were going to prepare Miss Vărzaru’s room.  Keep two rooms on both sides empty, do you understand?”
The maid stared at him in confusion.  “Why are we doing this?? Look at her, look at that dress…. And only this small bag.  That treatments for the blue-bloods!”
“Don’t question me girl, move!”
She jumped a bit startled at his response.  “All right sir, you’re the boss.”  Grabbing the bag, she scurried up the stairs quickly.  The innkeeper and the hooded woman followed her, finally coming to a stop in front of a door in an isolated part of the building.  The maid ran inside, turning down the sheets, and hanging her few pieces of clothing and articles from the bag.  Madison shook her head slightly looking worried, and spoke softly to the innkeeper.  “Maybe I should go somewhere else… I don’t know how this is going to work.  It didn’t last time.”  He waved a hand dismissively and leaned in next to her.  “I don’t know what your up to, or what someone you know is up to about you, but we’ll keep it quiet, hm?”  She nodded somewhat comforted.  “I’m going to rest, please send my- “Don’t worry,” he now interrupted her. “meals in your room, I know the routine.” She allowed a small smile. “Thank you. If there are any visitors- 
“I know I know, no visitors, your not even here…. We’ve done this before miss.”
She smiled. “No….  Mr. De’Mealthra may call…”
He stared at her a moment. “A gentleman caller?” He now smiled slowly.  “Aye miss… good to know your not alone in these dark times.  I’ll leave you to your business now. Celia, come!” The maid hurried out of the room and followed him down the hall.  Madison stepped inside the dimly lit room and locked the door with a soft click.  It sounded so final.  It would be some time, if ever, before she allowed herself to venture back into the public eye. 
 “Good-bye life… Good-bye Barovia… until we meet again.”

crallbri

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 02:12:44 PM »
After months of receiving no word, no reports, no letters from loved ones, from soldiers who have been deployed to the west in the conquered land of Old Gundarak, fears and rumors begin to spread from village to village.  Some claim that anywhere from thirty to a hundred soldiers, an entire unit, have become entirely unaccounted for.  For the families of the missing, the 'not knowing' has fed their growing fears and worries.  Some fear that the Gundarakite revolutionary leader Ardonk Szerieza, and his “gypsy witch” from Invidia, Gabrielle Anderre, and their forces are to blame.

A little finger...went to the lipless lips...of the bone masked face...'shhh…' it whispered into the dead man’s ear."

Maryn

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:11:53 PM »
Madison stepped up to the innkeeper and dropped her bag to the ground soundlessly.  Blood stained the hem, and shoulder seams of her dress, and when she lowered her hood, the normally lovely young woman looked rather ill.  She handed him a sack of coins.  "no questions.... no visitors...." she sighed. 

He sighed as if he already knew the answer.  "No... visitors?  No.... callers"

"No.  None."

He shook his head at her as he motioned at Celia to take the bag.

"Loves a doozy, aint it miss?"

She glanced at her right hand, then back at him sadly.  "Yes.... yes it is."

boompowclash

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »
[Hushed whispers of worry and fear circulate the patrons in the Blood o' the Vine...]

"He was cold an'dead!"

"Whot!?"

"Slammed up against the wall...with some kind of claw marks in his chest...They found him shortly after he started work..."

[The patrons shake their heads and stew in paranoia]

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:40:42 AM »
farmers wonder outloud of an gruesome event that they noticed when the dawn came. some cattle were brutally mutilated, it almost looked like an doing of wandering wolfs except the wounds were too "man made"

blood had splattered all around and there were bloody footprints for a few steps, leading to the road towards vallaki.

"what strange creature or damned person has done such thing and why" , farmers wonder, drinking their ale's
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

Ruxandra

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 02:45:52 AM »
Rumors circulate a lone, feminine figure has been spotted visiting a deserted townhouse in the village periodically at night.
Ruxandra, Beater of the Elderly! (It was medicinal, really!)
"I never stabbed anything that didn't stop being an immediate problem."

Ratchet, Lost Wingnut with a Screw Loose
"Barovia will know true fear, she carries a wrench and wields dimples."

GeordieSte

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 06:13:39 AM »
Several peasants have spoken about an elderly man swimming in the lake on the outskirts of Barovia.  One farmer claims, the elderly man was ranting as he surfaced the water, only to dive back under after catching his breath.

Mother Samira..  Devout follower of the Dawnbringer.

GeordieSte

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 04:24:55 AM »
An elderly male with large grey mustache, clothing drenched, was seen renting a room.  The next morning he came down and headed out toward the lake.  Several hours later a pile of weapons and clothing was found at the lakeside shore, the owner no where to be seen..

Mother Samira..  Devout follower of the Dawnbringer.

Bishop Cornelius

• Community Council
  • Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 06:20:14 PM »
Rumors spread that The Bishop has taken up residence in the Blood of the Vine...

New:
Augustin Vacarescu (Garda)
Keiji Kemura (Lost Diamyo)
Sebastian Beaumont (

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »
Rumours spread that the new arrived witchhunter Samuel van Aubreck together with the lightcarier Soren Nexus are on vampire hunt in Barovia now. Last night some say that they destroyed two coffins of these vile creatures as well as making an exorcism ritual of that place. The two seemed to pretend that destroying the coffins of vampires would help in deafeating them . ..

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 07:59:12 PM »
People walking in the whereabouts of the Tser falls reported to have seen a series of purple gems scattered around on the rocks. Some of them rumoured there was also a whip, exactly set bewteen two series of symbols. Some clever citizen told exactly the letters I M O T H R were sort of written with those gems. Some scholar reported it could have been the last sign of some satanic ritual. A tent and a campifre seemed to be there as well.

An adventurer going to Vallaki reported to have seen clearly two winged ladies, supposedly two devilish beings, standing at dawn on the bridge on the Tser falls. He said he had to hide not be seen by the fiends, but could clearly see them dive in the falls after having kissed themselves. He reported one was blonde and the other oddly purple-haired. He told also he could see down clearly that a strange mist evaporated once they touched the surface of water, mixing itself with the foam of the falls.

As soon as a new odd fact happens in the Village of Barovia, the rumours quickly fade, as mist at dawn.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »
Despite the usual horrors that keep the villagers in at night a few dared to peep at a most unusual and distubing sight.
A woman clad entirely in black was seen walking thru the village with  a being made of water following her. This water creature seemed to be carrying a something in the form of a man.
The locals quickly hid themselves once more and either  prayed or cursed extra hard that night.

Nefensis

• MIA
  • Dark Power
  • Gaming wench )0(
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
Peasants and merchants watches the new face drinking at a lonely table. Large and muscular rugged barovian man. He seems familiar to certain but there's no way that mountain of a man is the chubby and squeamish kid that left the Zeluf house five years ago.. or is he? In the morning he is seen working in the fields of the said house, rumors goes around the neighbours that he was a corporal and killed hundreds of rebels so says his blind sister. 

Stela Cojocaru - barovian snake
Crina Ovidiu - barovian guard

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 10:24:50 PM »
Whispers start to circulate of two men seen around the village lately. Both are dressed in pure white clothes and armor, even there weapons and shields seem of a similar tone. One was reconized by a traveling merchant as a Barovian man named Bolson Altoes a man he says he has traded with on many occasions with finely crafted animal furs. The other man also seems to be barovian in nature but is name remains unknown.

What is known is there actions. Both men were seen giving small bags of gold to the local beggers, as well as bags containing various items they said could be used to ward off the dangers of the night. The items among them were garlic, belldona, wolfsbane, holy water blessed by the wardens of ezra in valiki, and a few vials of healing potions. While most beggers seemed weary of taking them one or two were whispered to have done so.

Two days after they arrived only the second man in white remained behind in the village seeming to enjoy the local music and culture at night while aiding the more down troden during the day.

The man named Bolson was seen leaving the village headed westward back to Valiki

DM Shadowspawn

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
Over a beer two men sit in a corner speaking to one another in hushed tones. The tale spreads like wild fire of a young girl on a local farm whom has become suddenly ill. Progressively becoming weaker and weaker over the last few nights. In very hushed tones, while warding against the evil eye, they add to the rumors saying she looks incredibly pale in the morning and has not risen out of bed since.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »

As the weary, and hardy Barovians move about their daily chores under the fierce freezing blasts of winter's mountain snow, the folks who carve our their lives in the Village of Barovia speak of six Ezrites having arrived by foot the day before.  They are seen walking back and forth between the local Shrine of Ezra and the Blood 'o The Vine.  Some speculate to their mind's fancy as to why the Church of Ezra has made the arduous winter track up the mountain to be here.  One of the bits of common knowledge that factors into some speculating, is that the Church of Ezra in their sister village Vallaki, has been growing expediously in recent years and even months. 

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »
One of those Ezrites a few whisper as the man named Bolson was seen speaking softly to someone cloaked in a varying degrees of dark colored clothes. The two exchanged words and both went on there own ways, Bolson north, the other man further to the  south. Moments after leaving there was no sign of either.

k_moustakas

• Dark Power
  • Shadow calls... shadow whispers...
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
A well dressed outlander seems to have been frequenting both the Blood on the vine and Bildrath's store. His balok is surprisingly good but he rarely if ever speaks. No one knows where he spends his nights, as he always seems to up and leave hurriedly whenever dusk approaches. What's more, he is always craddling a baby and singing softly to it in a haunting but strange language no local ever heard before.

The baby girl, although very young, is very beautiful and unnaturally silent. Never crying, as if not wanting to interrupt her father's melody.
Has been described as a sometimey player

kanedellesk

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 06:12:11 PM »
Rumors spread like wildfire that the home of local man and potato farmer Jorgen Ivanolich seems to be having strange things happen to it. His wife, Arina, has told friends in confidence that she routinely wakes up to find dishes broken, their hearth having been put out without explanation, and general disarray in her household. Her two children were at first thought to be responsible, but after Jorgen gave them a good beating that would make an outlander salute a Vallaki guard, the strange things have kept happening. Of course, as she told her fellow housewives this as a secret at the fence post, the first thing her fellow housewives did was tell everyone they saw about it.

Word is also that Jorgen has been working his field with highly reddened eyes purportedly because he refuses to go to sleep at night. One of the younger men who work the fields around the Village of Barovia opined that Jorgen should perhaps seek the aid of the fey worshippers in town. Jorgen, quite naturally, abruptly broke the teenager's nose with a garden hoe.

kanedellesk

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
The plight of Jorgen Ivanolich seems to have gotten far, far worse. Farmers in the fields have not seen him in some time now, and only his closest friends know anything of him and his family. However, as people like to gossip very much, soon the whole Village knows of the disarray in the Ivanolich household.

Windows are being broken in the dead of night, from the inside. Something attempted to set his house on fire. Jorgen's wife Arina was fondled by something she could not see in the dark of her own kitchen. One of the children are even reporting hearing someone talk to them. Their living room was turned into a wreck one night, couch over turned and ripped apart and family heirlooms broken, with not a sound made.

The few who have visited have described a sense of extreme unease within the house. One asked Jorgen why he doesn't move, but he replied with typical Barovian stubborness that his father had built the house and he wasn't letting some "Damn ghost" have it. Friends and relatives quietly wonder how long it will be before someone within the household will be seriously hurt or even killed.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:33 PM »
 A pair of outsiders to the village are seen around the village. One is reconized as an Ezrite, another a large built man of the morninglord both were seen asking around the village about the troubles of Jorgen Ivanolich. Leaving indications of them able to be found at either the mornignlord cult house or the old shrine to ezra in the center of the village.

A runner heading west was also seen with a various bag of letters. Each soon reaching there intended persons in a few days.

They went to the following fokls.  Calor, Ekaterina Shadowborne, Nicolas, and Mariska and each read as follows.

Come to the village ASAP arik and I are here already investigating the troubles of the Ivanolich family, we could use your help. Bolson

The two are also seen later one night outside  near the western outskirts of the village fighting down and off a large pack of nerui wolves that threatened the homes there and the farmers animals. All of the pack was slain or driven off, and no animals or homes were harmed.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »
A few days later whispers reach even as far as valiki of the problems being solved for the Ivalovich family. The potato farmer Jorgen was whipped for his crimes by his neighbor. But also said among this all was the whispers that the help came in the form of several outsiders to the village. Two being ezrites, the other of some pair of outlander gods