You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Feign Death as a Mechanic  (Read 2368 times)

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
Feign Death as a Mechanic
« on: September 06, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
So the basic idea is giving the players the ability to feign death or immitate the state of bleeding to death (flat on the ground with the "dead" under the name).

How would that work: I'm not sure, but I think it could be similar to a combat mode in which the player would remain immobile on the floor and unable to do any action bwside exiting the mode. The benefits of this? Mostly RP potential for some serious just as unserious RP, but it could also be a way to avoid the aggro of certain monsters. The exceptions would monsters which would actually feast on a dead body or could sense the player is in fact not dead to begin with, and that could be done with a roll. To that I would propose a Spot vs Perform.. The perform for the obvious "playing the act" while spot would be not getting folled by it.

If a roll is implied however for a PvP situation, the person feigning death would simply be shown as "unarmed" (or whatever state he was before feigning) to an observer succeeding the DC.

Now open to suggestions and comments.
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Feign Death as a Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »
Seeing RP is the goal here, an in-game mechanic is really not needed. You can already use emotes to feign death. Just type [fall forwards] and stand still. Whatever follows will be RP anyway.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 01:41:52 PM »
It is true that a player could simply emote it out, but the type of scenarios I'm thinking of are those where every tools will be used at everyone's advantage, mostly the press TAB. If someone appears into sight on the ground but too far away to see any emote and the player reads "uninjured"', I'd think there would be far lesser chances of RP to occur than if it was written "Near death" or "Dead". On the other hand, if someone is uninjured but emotes that he's covered in blood on a road in the woods, or even in a jail cell, I think it would give more surprising results no one would be expecting it to be fake than having bits of metagaming and skipping maybe the trouble to let yourself be brought near death by squirrel to get desired result.

Again, it depends on how players would rp the response based on the wysiwyg.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 02:22:21 PM »
The problem is that what you propose is an overly complex system that could be very taxing on server resources for what is only RP benefits. It may seem simple said like that, but its implementation would be anything but. I'm not even sure we could really put it up either.

People feigning death but not being believed is just not an issue we need to address. Too rare to warrant its own system. Adding an extra layer of script running permanently to mechanically regulate that is counterproductive.

I am also fairly certain a sizeable chunk of the player base would indulge you and play along should you try to rp so. But, forcing anyone to is just not something I encourage. RP is best when allowed room to express itself.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »
Decently certain the only way to change that message is if the hp are actually lowered. While something with storing hp values etc could prolly be fiddled together, the system involved would have a long list of issues that probably can't be overcome at all.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:55:42 PM »
Well I suppose the only way to really know would be to test it out. The main point of posting this was not to have the Devs make it right away with the approval of other members but to verify if this is a good aspect to include on the server and its setting. I mean, I think it would be a nice addition because it could influence the way players consider finding a person laying immobile at a random place, be it an ambush or signs or a critical state without having a green bar above showing the contrary.

So just for fun I'll try coming up with a code, even if it'll possibly not matter.

zDark Shadowz

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »
Well I suppose the only way to really know would be to test it out.

So just for fun I'll try coming up with a code, even if it'll possibly not matter.

Okay, well to feign death you would need the following:

A conversation or voice command which harms you for your exact current HP, a conversation trigger that will give you an option to get back up at your previous current health that was saved as an integer on a PC data item or on the PC itself (consider problems with relogging/crashing in this state), options for making bloodspatter on the ground (with a limit or fake blood item required each time to prevent a massive amount of spammed blood), a prevention method to stop this being abused near hostile NPCs (or a bluff roll which, if the PC fails, the NPC will be forced to attack the prone PC, now with 0 HP as a Coup de Grace), automatic heal checks for each PC that approaches the feigning PC vs the bluff check of the PC pretending to be dead.

If you do come up with all this and then some to simulate feigning death and can put it into an .erf file I'd be happy to accept it and plug it into any modules I'd make in future just for the absurd unnecessary complexity of it, I'd actually genuinely be interested in looking at the code required to do all this.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »
It's no more complicated than our actual death system.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.