You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Feat suggestion - Close Call (Homebrew, name TBD)  (Read 1142 times)

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
  • You wanna know a secret? I don't.
Feat suggestion - Close Call (Homebrew, name TBD)
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:02:14 AM »
I thought about this during my night shift and thought I could suggest it. Always open to opinions and adjustments.

Close Call
Prerequisites: Second Wind, Barbarian Rage (3x/day) or Wholeness of Body (or Fighter??), Constitution 13+.

When on the verge of death, the character gains the ability to tense his muscles and reduce the feeling of pain, giving a rush of adrenaline (//Maybe let out a powerful yell to repulse death). Once per day, under 25% of the total health points (near death), the character may heal for an amount of hp equal to his unmodified constitution modifier times the character’s level.

Alternatives

1. Accessible to all classes. Cost is Second Wind but replaces it by the healing described above (or adjusted). Only usable under 25% of health.

2. Cost changes to one Rage or two Stunning Fists per use (healing may change accordingly). Again, only usable under 25% of health.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:29:07 AM by Always_a_hero »
Jacob Dumérite: The Sparkling Mind
Maximir Vaileshta: Crow of White Feathers
Jestian "Coal": <Blank Space>

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Feat suggestion - Close Call (Homebrew, name TBD)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
So a CON based Lay on Hands?

This would be cool for pure Fighters, but pure Barbs are distinctive and strong enough.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
Well it would be a self-heal. I thought the concept of building up the tension to a level where you can reach a limit to heal yourself, hence why it would be only usable when near death. It would be CON-based since the healing would come from the body itself and not magic, like a stronger version of Second Wind. Although I'll admit it might become too much of an advantage for a barbarian who heals just so his rage doesn't kill him.

However I think it's also a good way to question the viability of a build which does not depend on DEX or INT. Barbarian, for example, already has to focus in the three physical skills and most of the time can't afford to put a 16 if he is to go get the 13 INT for Expertise and Improved Parry, which a Fighter can afford in comparison. As for Monk this feat would become a second Wholeness of Body if the CON is 14... which might not be that exciting. Thematically, I think both Barb and Monk fits how the body is used to supress pain in regard to the control they have on it with Rage and Meditation.

Nemesis 24

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:51 AM »
At the moment Barbarian can potentially have sneak attack and near spell immunity just by being a barbarian, with a 1 button click.  I'm not sure they need a lay on hands on top of that to go along with the single biggest HP pool available as well.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
I agree with Nem. While it would be a great option for pure fighters or monks, I don't see it being good for barbarian. I mean right now that class is very powerful, and adding in a self heal of that magnitude would be way over powered. Perhaps if it was like your unmodified con buff, or a set amount of hp healed. Maybe your con modifier + your hit die?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 03:03:38 AM »
Change Barbarian Rage -> Barbarian Rage (3x/day) due to clear unbalanced for the moment. Will add fighter as suggestion though will still discuss it in the following.

I’ll admit I inspired myself from playing a Barbarian and complain about dying from Rage (although the feat couldn’t be used when unconscious), which is again pretty strong. Thinking back on it, I wouldn’t call the Barbarian I’m playing a tank, even though he has 60hp at level 4. Why? Because he doesn’t go above 20 AC without being warded by another character. He doesn’t have points in parry nor does he have the intelligence for expertise. Is he a bad character? Not at all, but he’s not a tank- he’s a flanker.

So I suppose it’s more of a building choice? To focus more on hp and Rage time rather than balancing into INT and trade Improved Parry and Expertise for Rage feats, or multi-class (side note: illiteracy seems to me like a feat which encourage Barbarians to multi-class)? So perhaps there should be options for the non-casters in a low-magic settling without 14+ INT builds?

Compared to a Fighter who is in a way perfect for multi-classing because it grants proficiencies, feats and BAB. Pure fighters are rare since the class didn’t had access to unique abilities until the introduction of class feats along with charisma feats. Wisdom fighter is also a thing, but only with wisdom archery.

These are more things I leave for discussion and more changes. As for the amount healed, since the con modifier is already implied in Second Wind, Mathias adding the lvl to it would be too small? Also to be discussed.

Always_a_hero

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 05:37:31 AM »
Posted some alternatives to the suggested feat.

1. Making the feat accessible to all classes. Although characters will still need to fill the constitution score prerequisite and have Second Wind. The use would consume Second Wind to replace it’s effect to be more powerful.

2. Let the feat consume one use of Rage or two uses of Stunning Fists. I don’t know if it would be possible to make it one use per day with that option however. If not, maybe a healing like ladylena suggested (con mod + lvl) might also be an option since it would be used more often. Although I’m not certain how fighters could use the feat if they were to be included.