Author Topic: Lag on EE server  (Read 2425 times)

AgentGibbs

• Outlander
Lag on EE server
« on: June 11, 2018, 11:12:10 PM »
I never had an issue with the old server being exceptionally laggy, and I was late to the part with the NCE, so I just now was able to get on and play today. While playing I was plagued by never ending and outrageous amounts of lag, such as pressing the stealth mode button and it taking 38 seconds to activate, walking with a group and it looking like they are almost an entire screen behind me, but they say they are right next to me... It is not my ISP because my teamspeak, youtube, etc wasnt lagging when testing it at the same time to make sure.

I was wondering if anyone had any issues like this and knew a fix, or well anything to help really.

Wormwood and Gunsmoke ...

• New to the Mists
Re: Lag on EE server
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 12:18:07 AM »
I was experiencing some bad lag myself. I ended up turning down my quality to "fast" from "best" and adjusted a few of the visuals to a more modest look. It's not as bad on regular nwn where it blurs every texture, and it does make it run more smoothly. But the lag was TERRIBLE and still is.

Knight of Rhodes

• The Butcher of Barovia
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
EE started up for me with highly taxing graphics add ons enabled. Anti aliasing, ambient occlusion, Depth of field, etc. All of these things will hammer the he'll out of integrated graphics and give lower tier graphics cards an anuerism.

Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men

AgentGibbs

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
EE started up for me with highly taxing graphics add ons enabled. Anti aliasing, ambient occlusion, Depth of field, etc. All of these things will hammer the he'll out of integrated graphics and give lower tier graphics cards an anuerism.

Except my 1080 shouldnt be bothered by any of those settings :(

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »
This.
I disabled everything and am using minimum video options but still lag makes some of the areas such as "The Mists - Vistani Camp" completely unplayable.
 :|
I could use the max settings with out any lag in the old NWN.

Edit:
All spells cause terrible lag. Magic missile causes only a sligth nudge, missile storm is bigger problem. Area effects such as black tentacles will make me unable to operate during their duration.

In other words, I can't play this game.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:31:53 PM by sotbiii »

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 09:00:11 AM »
This.
I disabled everything and am using minimum video options but still lag makes some of the areas such as "The Mists - Vistani Camp" completely unplayable.
 :|
I could use the max settings with out any lag in the old NWN.

Edit:
All spells cause terrible lag. Magic missile causes only a sligth nudge, missile storm is bigger problem. Area effects such as black tentacles will make me unable to operate during their duration.

In other words, I can't play this game.

Out of curiosity, what sound driver are you set to?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 12:38:56 PM »
Umm... I don't understand the question.  :oops:

I don't see much sound options in the EE, the old NWN had several to choose from.

AgentGibbs

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »
A large part of my issues resolved recently when I turned vsync ON. While this is usually not my preference when playing, the changes are minuscule in NWN. I had also heard abou tthe sound drivers issue from a friend that played dnd back in the day but with vsync fixing my issues I did not try that route

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 02:03:39 PM »
Umm... I don't understand the question.  :oops:

I don't see much sound options in the EE, the old NWN had several to choose from.

Which sound option are you using?
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
There are no sound options?
Aside from Sound effect volume, voices volume, music volume and 2d/3d bias.
There is nothing to choose from.
I muted them all. Made no difference.

I made some adjustments to my NVIDIA control panel and managed to get some of the areas to lag less but snow and rain still lag me.

sotbiii

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:24:26 PM »
OK I have traced the source of my lag. I guess. Sort of.
Faerie Dragon familiar.
It makes no sense but I have no lag until I posses my familiar. Everything is fine if I just summon, posses and unsummon it while still in the same area.

But if I leave the area while posessing the dragon or just have it follow me to another area, after that weather and magical effects lag me extremely bad.

The lag remains until I restart the NWN. Simply unsummoning the familiar will not stop the lag.
I tested this with some other familiars types but only Faerie Dragon caused lag for me.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Does anyone have an idea on how to fix it?

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 05:53:30 AM »
You aren't the only one with lag. I can't get into a city as it crashes me (lag caused?), also, for the most part, the lag I get causes even text to be delayed. I tried hooking up with an ethernet cord and that did seem to mitigate some of the lag. Which I did find odd as my wifi speed is near the 80 mbps mark.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Duupir

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »
Tried the new EE serve today, logged into the OOC area, tried to move but nothing happened for over 5 min.
For the people laggin and and have nvidia cards, i suggest going to the nvidia control panel -> manage 3D settings and put vertical sync option ON.
Since for me my gtx 970 strix starts to make "squeling" high pitched noise when i start the game even thought the ingame vertical sync is enabled, it might be the ingame vertical sync option is not working as intended?

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
Your case had nothing to with having to give your password?

Building out off the mists

Duupir

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
Give my password? the game never requested my password to be given, if its required what i must do?

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 08:24:08 AM »
Here's some of my observations on the lag with EE.

EE is experiencing bugs that were repaired back in old school NWN. Like full metallic clothing glitches, shaking overhead text at certain camera angles, vanishing text blocks, snow lag, ect. All were worked out, but maybe going back into the game to rework it undid some of those repairs. I am probably using the wrong terminology, be kind it's 5 am.

The lag for me cut down significantly if I keep my camera scope tight instead of zoomed all the way out. If it's snowing, i get a lot of lag. I have to have all the depth settings and advanced video settings turned off, but i am finding I can play around with the tradition settings and not have too much impact. If it's not snowing, i can have the new settings on and the old ones turned down and not experience lag.

I really think this is a balancing issue that will be resolved if we stick to it and work out the problems as a community rather than let our frustrations get the better of us. it's just lag. We're better than lag - we can always turn down the settings until it's resolved.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »
Give my password? the game never requested my password to be given, if its required what i must do?

He means you have to type @login and whatever your password for that character was. Remember, when you made your character, you had to write @setpass and a password.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Duupir

• Outlander
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 08:30:27 AM »
Ah, i see your point now. thanks for the information