You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Re-thinking "looking for a roleplay"  (Read 3593 times)

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
Re-thinking "looking for a roleplay"
« on: May 27, 2018, 08:38:03 PM »
bounties and no-bounties:

Well my dear bounties, i think that lfrp is a tool with a great potential but the problem is that could be used as tool to claim your bounty, take revenge or many unconfidences that make it a tool with no use. How about if we take out the location and put only your name and stablishing some rules to use it in an agreement between the parts? With this, we can play and know new players and each other, with no risk to be hunted or something by the property of the tool.
What do you think?

Edit: may be a solution, could exist the option to show your location. If you dont want to show your location, you cant see where are the others.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:21:18 PM by Arcibel »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Re-thinking "looking for a roleplay"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »
To my knowledge, no one as ever used the LFRP option to cause any sort of harm to another player. If this was to happen simply report it to a DM.

The point of the LFRP tool is specifically to bring players together, and showing the location of other players looking for RP is a very good way to accomplish just that. We also have clear enough guidelines as to the rules of conducts and about what is considered good rp in general. I fail to see what needs to be clarified further.

I will also add that a player can toggle the tool on or off at any time. So if you are concerned a player would metagame the info of the LFRP tool against you, I'd recommend to turn it off during those periods.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
You have to opt in to the lfrp system

If you did so while you had a bounty, presumably, at least in my opinion you'd also be opting in to the rp of having your bounty collected. You don't get to choose the rp of the lfrp system after all and once you get a bounty on your head you've essentially opted in to that line of rp and pvp anyway. If you go and sit around with the lfrp system toggled on you're just asking for it and I don't see any reason that you should be upset if people come looking for you.

By the way, some of the most character developing role play I've ever had was as a result of my own character's bounties being collected. Sure you might be humiliated, beaten, tortured and executed, but that's the point really xD

It's important not to forget that adversity is what generates great opportunities for rp and character development. Rather than shy away from it I'd encourage more players to be open to it, and even "losing", from time to time. I'm not suggesting you have some responsibility to go out and try to get caught, but it's not the end of the world if you do, and it can be fun if you just play out the story of it.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
I've used it and when I needed to have the character hide away I'd just opt out of it. The tool is great (if more would use it) and if you are worried about someone metagaming your location, just opt out and go elsewhere
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:22:25 PM »
I've even contemplated suggesting making it opt-out rather than opt-in..

It could lead to a few metagaming instances, but honestly, I feel that by now we're a pretty mature community where rule breaks aren't all too common. If someone uses it to metagame, it would be against the rules.

With the system opt-in, it's just very underused. I almost always have it on for myself, but I don't always remember to put it on after a server restart.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
As long as it shows the PC's location, it very much should be opt in.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 02:05:50 PM »
Well people, i think that the problem is exactly what you say, confidence, Because there is no rule that can assure you that could not be used to claim a bounty or do a revenge etc. I think that say"so dont use it" its kill the problem and not give a solution, and a very selfish sentence. For example i can use the lrfp for avoid pvp, because i can say that someone has tracked to me by the tool always, like a inmunity. Imagine, people who we are out of the law or new or both, we have a tool to interact with the server a know more people, whats the problem? Before to be an outlaw i was a fan of the lrfp, i feel the kick for to be an outlaw, the game it is not the same, is bored, because you pasa hours alone, and that can make a player to leave the server. With this is posible to eliminate that draw back. This server is full of bounty hunters, in a week or 2 i know 3.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 02:21:51 PM »
I think if you want to use the LFRP system to find roleplay it is only logical it displays the location. For me using the system means you want to roleplay with everyone not just a select few.

Building out off the mists

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »
I think if you want to use the LFRP system to find roleplay it is only logical it displays the location. For me using the system means you want to roleplay with everyone not just a select few.

May be could be posible an option to show
Or hide your location in the lrfp.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »

The option to remain in it but hide your location could be a solution. But from a point of view where the tool was set to allow others to find people to rp with, giving that ability makes it no different than the player list, with the exception of showing that you want rp
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »

The option to remain in it but hide your location could be a solution. But from a point of view where the tool was set to allow others to find people to rp with, giving that ability makes it no different than the player list, with the exception of showing that you want rp

There is diference. If you are in lrfp, you have the intention, if no, you dont have it. And is diferent to be talking to 40 player if they are able to play, instead who shows his intention. As a posibility, if you hide your location, you can't see where are the others.

HM01

• Undead Master
  • The Department of Gnomeland Security
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »
This is a roleplay server, no? We are all looking for roleplay, by logging in. The tool is so people can find you to do just that.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
This is a roleplay server, no? We are all looking for roleplay, by logging in. The tool is so people can find you to do just that.
nope, some people prefer pure roleplay and prefer all without the tool. Even, people has said to me that's a rule break ask where are them via private chat.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:12:04 PM by Arcibel »

HM01

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »
nope, some people prefer pure roleplay and prefer all without the tool. Even, people has said to me that a rule break ask where are them via private chat.

That is why the tool is optional, so if you want people to come to you for interaction, they can.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
nope, some people prefer pure roleplay and prefer all without the tool. Even, people has said to me that a rule break ask where are them via private chat.

That is why the tool is optional, so if you want people to come to you for interaction, they can.
ok, but the problem is that the tool could be used to hunt a bounty for your pc, and there is no rule for that.Exist other reasons,too.

HM01

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

ok, but the problem is that the tool could be used to hunt a bounty for your pc, and there is no rule for that.Exist other reasons,too.

If you don't want people to find you, then don't use the tool.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »

"Well people, i think that the problem is exactly what you say, confidence, Because there is no rule that can assure you that could not be used to claim a bounty or do a revenge etc. I think that say"so dont use it" its kill the problem and not give a solution, and a very selfish sentence. For example i can use the lrfp for avoid pvp, because i can say that someone has tracked to me by the tool always, like a inmunity. Imagine, people who we are out of the law or new or both, we have a tool to interact with the server a know more people, whats the problem? Before to be an outlaw i was a fan of the lrfp, i feel the kick for to be an outlaw, the game it is not the same, is bored, because you pasa hours alone, and that can make a player to leave the server. With this is posible to eliminate that draw back. This server is full of bounty hunters, in a week or 2 i know 3".

HM01

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »

"Well people, i think that the problem is exactly what you say, confidence, Because there is no rule that can assure you that could not be used to claim a bounty or do a revenge etc. I think that say"so dont use it" its kill the problem and not give a solution, and a very selfish sentence. For example i can use the lrfp for avoid pvp, because i can say that someone has tracked to me by the tool always, like a inmunity. Imagine, people who we are out of the law or new or both, we have a tool to interact with the server a know more people, whats the problem? Before to be an outlaw i was a fan of the lrfp, i feel the kick for to be an outlaw, the game it is not the same, is bored, because you pasa hours alone, and that can make a player to leave the server. With this is posible to eliminate that draw back. This server is full of bounty hunters, in a week or 2 i know 3".

I think this is pointing to another discussion regarding actions and consequence. I don't see how the tool can be changed, and you are citing a very specific example in regards to bounties. From my perspective, it is pretty black and white. If you are wanted, then don't use the tool.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »

I think this is pointing to another discussion regarding actions and consequence. I don't see how the tool can be changed, and you are citing a very specific example in regards to bounties. From my perspective, it is pretty black and white. If you are wanted, then don't use the tool.
so, Some type of aligment are favored and the others no? The use of the tool is limited for your roleplay? And not for all?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:45:40 PM by Arcibel »

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »

Your arguments are hugely strawman ones.

If someone has a bounty and opts into the system, they will have zero credibility into assuming someone metagamed their position, because:
1. You have to intentionally opt into LFRP.
2. The system deliberately works in a specific way (which is offer your position), so people can come find you.

If someone is using it exclusively to take revenge on you, why is that bad so long as the roleplay they've offered beforehand and during that process of revenge was good? You once again:
1. Have to intentionally opt into the LFRP.
2. Are looking for roleplay, and roleplay is what you received.

I admit I haven't played in a while, but when I was last active barely anyone used the LFRP system. It was about three people consistently. Derkot, I believe ladylena, and myself. I highly doubt the LFRP system in its current state has encouraged someone to leave the server out of boredom.

It quite frankly seems you just want to avoid conflict IC, yet reap the benefits of a character who's not notorious.

so, Some type of aligment are favored and the others no? The use of the tool is limited for your roleplay? And not for all?
No one knows what one's alignment is unless you openly present qualities of a specific alignment. However, who says an evil character won't hunt down good-aligned characters? And of course vice-versa. It favors no one.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »

Your arguments are hugely strawman ones.

If someone has a bounty and opts into the system, they will have zero credibility into assuming someone metagamed their position, because:
1. You have to intentionally opt into LFRP.
2. The system deliberately works in a specific way (which is offer your position), so people can come find you.

If someone is using it exclusively to take revenge on you, why is that bad so long as the roleplay they've offered beforehand and during that process of revenge was good? You once again:
1. Have to intentionally opt into the LFRP.
2. Are looking for roleplay, and roleplay is what you received.

I admit I haven't played in a while, but when I was last active barely anyone used the LFRP system. It was about three people consistently. Derkot, I believe ladylena, and myself. I highly doubt the LFRP system in its current state has encouraged someone to leave the server out of boredom.

It quite frankly seems you just want to avoid conflict IC, yet reap the benefits of a character who's not notorious.

No one knows what one's alignment is unless you openly present qualities of a specific alignment. However, who says an evil character won't hunt down good-aligned characters? And of course vice-versa. It favors no one.
I'm in my phone. I'm going to answer in large in my home. Burst discussions that were in peace and fraternity when you don't like what is proposing and you clearly you don't have arguments, it's an old strategy. Often used, even in politics.

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »
I'm in my phone. I'm going to answer in large in my home. Burst discussions that were in peace and fraternity when you don't like what is proposing and you clearly you don't have arguments, it's an old strategy. Often used, even in politics.

Not quite sure what defines your hypocritically and ironically subjective view of me "clearly" not having "arguments". I look forward to hearing the explanation for that.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »

Not quite sure what defines your hypocritically and ironically subjective view of me "clearly" not having "arguments". I look forward to hearing the explanation for that.
insult to the others, nice argument.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:24:51 PM by Arcibel »

HM01

• Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »

insult to the others, nice argument.

I don't think peps meant to insult you at all, rather - he is trying to understand your point of view. I am also curious to hear your full reasoning.

This is not an argument, be civil.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »
Alright. Time to lock this. As others pointed out LFRP works as intended.