You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Feat Suggestion: Pack Mule  (Read 2251 times)

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
Feat Suggestion: Pack Mule
« on: May 10, 2018, 04:46:07 AM »
Given that the nature of this server requires everyone to live with their entire life on their back (whether as full weight or claim slips) I'd like to propose the following:

Pack Mule
Spoiler: show
Type of Feat: General
Prerequisites: None.
Specifics: The character is accustomed to the nomad's lifestyle, carrying everything they own on their shoulders. The character's strength is considered four points higher for the purposes of calculating their encumbrance.
Use: Automatic.

Alternate suggestion:
Spoiler: show
The design philosophy of the loot system has been stated to be that loot dropped should never been universally better than the equivalent crafted gear, but can situationally better under the right conditions. Knowing that the desired outcome is thus to have players carrying multiples of different types of items, in addition to the weight of whatever gear they might have for their character's role-playing, crafting tools, and so forth, if the devs were feeling incredibly benevolent they could just grant the above (or a reduced version thereof) to everyone as a bonus feat at level 1 in the way that we all get disarm and knockdown for free. It would be such a quality of life improvement for everyone that isn't a strength-based class/build or able to cast bulls-strength on demand.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:00:28 AM by ViktorYouFool »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Feat Suggestion: Pack Mule
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »
This apparently exists in the Netbook of Feats; but it raises carrying capacity as if STR were two higher.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pack_Mule_(3.5e_Feat)

If it's possible to do that in EE, it would be really nice!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:10:21 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 02:43:06 PM »
This apparently exists in the Netbook of Feats; but it raises carrying capacity as if STR were two higher.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pack_Mule_(3.5e_Feat)

If it's possible to do that in EE, it would be really nice!

Huh. Well there you go!

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
Pls gib packmule

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:32:57 PM »
"I am not your pack mule!" --Suspiria Ghastor's encumbered voice emote.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
At the moment there's no way to implement this.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 02:18:11 PM »

A pity. Maybe EE will open something up one day.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 09:43:46 PM »
Really? A feat that can give +5 in str with a penalty of 3 or 2 in bonus(depending  if the stat is pair or not) to add only capacity of encumbrance?. Or is so heavy the hand in the update ti EE?

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
I assume by bonus you're referring to attack bonus. While what you're saying would be possible, it would still mean that players get the dmg bonus associated with their added str, even if they've lost the ab, as well as erroneously higher str rolls for things such as bash and those involved in professions, not to mention feats requiring x amount of str.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 11:40:54 PM »
I assume by bonus you're referring to attack bonus. While what you're saying would be possible, it would still mean that players get the dmg bonus associated with their added str, even if they've lost the ab, as well as erroneously higher str rolls for things such as bash and those involved in professions, not to mention feats requiring x amount of str.
well and a -3 in damage, something like permanent bull str but with penalty

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 12:27:56 AM »
Not that I'm in favor of (or opposed) to the feat, but a way you might get something like this to work is create a non-transferrable item in the PC's inventory that had minus weight when the PC chooses the feat? (Or it could be flagged in the PC data object, but I have no idea how that works.)

The amount of minus weight it had would be equivalent to a two-point boost in strength?

For example, an 18 Str is 47 and 70 pounds respectively greater for encumbered and heavily encumbered than a 16 Str.

So when checking for encumbrance and heavy encumbrance, the item would be treated as a -47 and -70 weight item, if the PC had a 16 Str.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 03:18:35 AM »
Not that I'm in favor of (or opposed) to the feat, but a way you might get something like this to work is create a non-transferrable item in the PC's inventory that had minus weight when the PC chooses the feat? (Or it could be flagged in the PC data object, but I have no idea how that works.)

The amount of minus weight it had would be equivalent to a two-point boost in strength?

For example, an 18 Str is 47 and 70 pounds respectively greater for encumbered and heavily encumbered than a 16 Str.

So when checking for encumbrance and heavy encumbrance, the item would be treated as a -47 and -70 weight item, if the PC had a 16 Str.

another posibility, that i think is easier, is when you choose the feat your bag or space converts into a big  magical bag with 50% of weight reduction,60%,40%,30% etc, hence your allowed to carry more weight as a mule.
Another posibility is that you can create 10 magic bag that cost 0 and no tradeable, with 50% of weight reduction to use in your inventory. The bag of nwn have 360 squares of space, and every bag have 35 so you have 350 squares with 50% of weight reduction.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:44:45 AM by Arcibel »

Meyobrin

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 06:51:38 AM »

While I don't know how to make it so it is or isn't for feat purposes, I do know you can edit Everyone's weight capacity by editing the encumbrance.2da numbers and put it in the server's back-end overrides.

It's (I assume) what the server Arelith did to adjust their weight capacity, too, without the use of haks.

I took the liberty of exporting the 2da and hosting it on my dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4cmon7mnjolpz9/encumbrance.2da?dl=0

Otherwise, you can always export it simply with NWN Explorer:
http://www.neverwinternights.info/cc_nwnexplorerreborn.htm

o7
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:53:40 AM by Meyobrin »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »

While I don't know how to make it so it is or isn't for feat purposes, I do know you can edit Everyone's weight capacity by editing the encumbrance.2da numbers and put it in the server's back-end overrides.

It's (I assume) what the server Arelith did to adjust their weight capacity, too, without the use of haks.

o7

Sure, if we wanted to change it across the board but this is about a feat.

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »
The answer is given with the words of eo, this is the end of this discussion

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »

o7

Sure, if we wanted to change it across the board but this is about a feat.

I would be perfectly happy with everyone getting a bump to carry capacity across the board. It's kind of sad when you find yourself throwing out clothes and RP stuff in a desperate bid to unencumber yourself.

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
There are actually performance implications involved that are not immediately obvious. The larger an inventory, the longer scripts that access your inventory take to run, and the longer it takes to load your character. This can actually accumulate server lag. It's also one of the reasons that DM avatars lag the game so much (since our inventories are massive).
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Keyser

• New to the Mists
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »
Why not just give us access to (but perhaps very rare/expensive) actual bags of holding? They don't need to be infinite space even. Same size/capacity as a magic bag but with 100% weight removal? You could go a step further and limit them to like 1 per character or something and mark them as plot items so they cant be traded/sold?

I think there are simpler solutions than having to go heavy on scripts and feats, but I love the idea of having the ability to actually move given that we're also assumed to be carrying loads of situational gear only useful for this or that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:24:46 PM by Keyser »