You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Computer advice  (Read 1219 times)

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Catching natural 20s from monsters since birth.
Computer advice
« on: May 03, 2018, 07:54:53 AM »
As some of you may know, my computer has thermal issues where the cool lately is going out. I am reluctant to replace it because lap tops are a pain to work on. Last night I had a big crash and windows ten is screwed up now. I've tried a system restore but I think the damage is deep and it freezes ok me. I know that I can run a repair room my windows ten boot disk. Is that effective? I would prefer not having to reformat my HDD. Anyone have some advice?
Hjorta the Heartless- Seidr Wight
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer
Asmund Ingvar- Berserker Runemaster

ASymphony

• Professional Shitposter
  • Dark Lord
Re: Computer advice
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »
It should probably effectively restore your windows installation, assuming the crash wasn't the result of some hardware failure. That being said, if your laptop does overheating issues, thats a pretty save bet for your hardware to fail sooner rather then later.

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »
Well if I can repair windows without losing my data, I'm going to keep it off until I get the parts for my external cooling tray. It's got two 10" fans to work on keeping it cool. Ideally, ideally like to preserve my data, so when I get home from work I'm going to try and run a repair or a system restore using a boot disk. I hope it works. When I try to boot it goes to windows repair and then tries to do an automatic restore, but I get a thermal shut down before it completes. I'm letting it sit for a bit while I'm at work, in hopes that the internal fan can work well enough to fix my issue.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:52:39 AM by Zwickelfaust »
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »
Send me a pm and i give you my help by whatsap

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »
I actually have an old cooling tray I got from my pops. All I needed was a male to male USB cable. My laptop fits perfectly in the tray. I got a 12" fan cooling my rig now. It doesn't even get warm anymore. Luckily, I just had to wait for my system to cool off and it booted just fine. I think the issue is resolved, thanks for the advice. The thing was acting up the night I was going to turn Allek into a vampire. I'm glad to know this won't be happening in future important events.
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer

Arcibel

• Undead Slayer
  • Native or Outlander?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
Tell me your pc specs, and how much you have to spend in something, and the use of the new computer.