Author Topic: Expeditious Retreat failing to apply.  (Read 2063 times)

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
Expeditious Retreat failing to apply.
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:26:56 PM »
Like most mages, J'qarr uses the crap out of Expeditious Retreat. Given how much he travels, it's a necessity. I have both the regular and extended versions of the spell on my hot bar.

For a while now (at least since the last major update) I've found that every so often the spell will fail to activate. I'll click the button, it will go through the animation. The log will say:

> J'qarr is casting Expeditious Retreat
> J'qarr casts Expeditious Retreat

Indicating that the spell has completed. It will consume a spell-slot/use as normal (J'qarr is a sorcerer, for note).. but then the speed boost won't happen. It just doesn't apply. I will neither get the mechanical effect, nor the icon indicating such in the top right of my screen.

For a while, I thought it was a PEBCAK error and that I was accidentally breaking it by trying to move too quickly after I cast it.. running off before it finished or something. Since then, I've made it a point not to touch anything after I click for the spell to go off. About one time in a dozen, or one time in twenty, it will still just fail to apply the speed boost.

Curiously, every so often it will also not auto-cast on myself, but instead change my cursor into the targeting icon as though I could cast the spell on someone else when it is a self-targeting spell. I haven't noticed this behavior correlating to the failure-to-apply bug, however.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:30:25 PM by ViktorYouFool »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Expeditious Retreat failing to apply.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »
Were you invisible when it didn't work?

I ask because I remember once before Exp Retreat got bugged so that it didn't work when cast while invisible. Could be that the bug has come back.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:20:56 AM »
Were you invisible when it didn't work?

I ask because I remember once before Exp Retreat got bugged so that it didn't work when cast while invisible. Could be that the bug has come back.

You know. I'm honestly not sure. It's entirely possible, since most of the time J'qarr is traveling, he is invisible. I'll have to keep an eye out, going forward.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
Update:

This has happened a couple more time since last reported, in all cases it has been while invisible. I've also seen this bug kick in for other people, also invisible.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »
I believe I can fix this issue for you...

Here's the deal: If you 'refresh' the spell before its expiration, it may not go through. This has been a long time bug I've noticed, and I've never once encountered what you have described with the above in mind. What I do is either wait till my current spell expires, or begin casting shortly after it begins to flicker and fade on the Icon, and the time it takes to cast is longer than the round of the flashing indicator.

Hope that helps a man.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
Here's the previous thread in which Invis was causing it. Perhaps the fix announced then has been undone somehow?

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=45371.msg568614#msg568614

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 08:14:05 PM »
I believe I can fix this issue for you...

Here's the deal: If you 'refresh' the spell before its expiration, it may not go through. This has been a long time bug I've noticed, and I've never once encountered what you have described with the above in mind. What I do is either wait till my current spell expires, or begin casting shortly after it begins to flicker and fade on the Icon, and the time it takes to cast is longer than the round of the flashing indicator.

Hope that helps a man.

In every case that I can recall, I did the thing after my buffing cycle, usually after a rest.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »
I mean when recasting the spell. (Tends to be you need a few to get where you're going) When 'refreshing' your current application of Expeditious Retreat, wait until its actually expired rather then when you feel its about to. I mean, sometimes its works, but I have noticed it fail to recognize a new one over the present one a number of times.

Maybe this wasn't what has been plaguing you, though, but still something to bear in mind.

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 02:10:26 AM »
It might also be an issue, but in the instances I'm referring to I had just rested and thus had no prior instance of expeditious retreat active.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:57:00 AM »
I see.

Thats wack, yo

/end communication

ViktorYouFool

• Undead Master
  • Par Nos Actes
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 11:16:56 PM »
Update:

I have yet to see this bug kick in while I'm running while not invisible, lending credibility to the idea that it may be the old invis+expeditious retreat bug returning.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 10:31:56 PM »
Is this still an issue? I can't recreate it.

urathraviel

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »
had it happen to me recently EO. this is still about its just a little sporadic. generally while Invis, usualy i'm casting haste on other people at the same time. Mine was extended and didnt apply. had to cast a second time.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »

Had this occur today.  Had five prepared for a long trip, and at least two failed to apply. I made sure not to move or disrupt the spell's process too, just to make sure the casting of the spell completed before running.

urathraviel

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 06:51:18 AM »
Seems to be reliable, have invis, haste other people, always have to cast Expedious retreat twice.