Author Topic: Duty Above All:  (Read 9537 times)

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
Re: Duty Above All:
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
Lead, iron, tin, arsenic, copper, silver, gold...

I am an alchemist.

Sulfur, phosphorus, zinc, potassium...

I am also a physician and transmuter.

Poultice, tincture, ointment, cream, incision, excision, suture...

Extracts are distilled and then you prepare them into varnishes by combining it with resin.

Distillate, emoluent, solvent, mixtures, colloid, fluid suspension, alloy, amalgamate...

... Base metal. Conversion. Elevated forms. Oricalcum. Noble metal. A more Godly state of a material. Imbuing. Catalyst. Vital force. Element. The Great Work...

Ouroboros, Circle of Life, Danse Macabre, Equivalent exchange, allegory.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 04:01:48 PM by Silas Rotleaf »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
Re: Duty Above All: The Hazlan Papers:
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2018, 12:20:34 PM »
A report on every type of corporeal undead?!
Alright then, he'll get his damned comprehensive survey and then some!

Skeletons: These are made when a collection of bones is reanimated through use of negative energy.
There are some variants such as the mohrg (a skeleton with guts) which are made through cursed life decisions if one is an exceptionally vile individual. Skeleton lords, huecuvas and skeleton priests (the middle one is what happens if you are an especially wicked or hypocritical cleric in life) are more intelligent than your average skeleton and retain some degree of the skills they had in life. Rank and file skeletal warriors and archers are fast but not terribly intelligent.

Zombies: These are most commonly made through necromancy spells, voodoo and the like. Not the most intelligent of undead but they can relentlessly pursue a target since they do not need to eat, breathe or rest. Some zombies will spontaneously arise from corpses raised improperly or which are interred on unhallowed ground too.
Zombie lord: This is a more intelligent form of zombie capable of flinging some spells and commanding lesser zombies. As in life, so in death (this last bit is intended somewhat as a joke by the author).
Juju zombies: A more powerful form of zombie created through voodan rituals.

Ghouls: Scavenging undead. Can be created through necromancy or beget more of themselves through an infectious bite. If the quarry dies of wounds gained during combat with a ghoul they can rise up as one. As is well known a ghoul can also arise from the result of a curse which befalls humans and demihumans which resort to the vile act of carrion eating in graveyards.  Ghouls are driven by an insatiable psychological hunger.
The agarat is a variant of the ghoul which has most of the stock standard same abilities as its regular cousin but looks a little bit different and has hair. Also some share the stink attack ability of a ghast. Agarats are opportunistic scavenging  predators. They primarily feed on dead bodies but do enjoy live prey when it is available.
Ghoul lords and feral ghouls are more intelligent than regular ghouls.

Ghast: More aggressive relative of the ghoul. It can do its own version of stinking cloud from releasing clouds of its bodily funk at will.

Vampires: These can arise from curse but also from other vampires via the exchange of blood. There are two types of note: Vampire spawn are people who have had their blood fully drained by a proper vampire and are his or her thrall. Full vampires oddly enough only become a thing when the victim has consumed a certain amount of the vampire's blood on near death. One is exactly not sure how the dhampir or half vampire comes into being since though it obviously has one vampire parent and one living parent most of the time vampires do not reproduce sexually (we think!).  Try not to confuse a vampire with its living analogous "cousin" the vampyre.
Note: The older a vampire is, the more powerful but also more insane it can be.

Wights: Tomb guardians and magic flinging undead. They are infamous for their draining touch which weakens foes. Believed to not need to eat. A staple feature of ancient burial grounds. Wights hate the living with an irrational burning passion. Barrow wights at least serve a function as guardians. The way they propagate is via physical contact; Anyone who dies from wounds inflicted on them by a wight may too themselves become a wight.

Mummies: Smarter undead these, like the vampire, upon reaching a certain more experienced advanced stage (the mummy lord, ancient mummy, etc.) are capable of commanding lesser undead. Often they are created through complex holy and unholy rites. Steeling your will against fear is recommended when facing these as mummies can be especially terrifying. They can also spread disease via their touch. Most but not all mummies are swaddled in strips of linen. Their hallmark physical feature is having leathery skin.

Cursts: A special type of intelligent and agile undead which retains and furthers all the fighting skills with weapons it had in life, is fireproof and highly dangerous. They are as the name indicates created by people being caught in a stray killing curse. Note their dark, pupiless eyes.

Blasphemes: Nobody knows exactly how these composite undead are made anymore since the techniques used by the ancient necromancy masters have been lost to the ages. We do know that they are assembled and not made in the organic sense of the word and from observing those that have survived they were originally intended as guardians of catacomb complexes. Again, these are big unnatural creatures which have been expertly corpse crafted.

Hulking corpse: This one can be an ogre zombie but doesn't need to be. It's very strong like an ogre, and can bull rush at you with a monstrous tackle. Its fists are capable of cracking stone too.

Revenant: If the desire for revenge is great enough and transcends death, a revenant is born. This particularly angry form of corporeal undead is obsessed with getting even to the point it will try to slay descendents of the original people who wronged them during original life many generations later. This is also why holding on to grudges too much is an inherently bad thing.

Eye of Fear and Flame: A particularly powerful type of corporeal undead along the same lines as a huecuva but created through old rites by ancient gods or so people say. It has mismatched gems in the eye sockets and delights in wickedness.

Liches and vassaliches are created through complex arcane ritual.
A vassalich is a form of lesser lich that a lich creates through a variant of the ritual which created it in the first place because it desires an equally immortal servant. Both are required to fill their phylacteries with souls. It is the phylactery which allows a lich or vassalich to come back from "death" time and time again... So destroy the phylactery and you truly destroy a lich.

Liches and vassaliches can be made from any arcane caster subject; wizard, sorcerer or bard.

Crawling claws: The severed limb of a soon to die or already dead convict (this detail doesn't actually matter too much) can be animated via a bizarre rite to produce these "handy" little assistants one at a time.
They don't need to eat and they don't beget more of themselves.

Alhoon: Also known sometimes as an illithilich, this is an undead mindflayer. They are fairly rare and from what we can tell regarded as horribly insane even among other mindflayers. This explains why aside from their creations and minions an alhoon generally tends to "live" alone.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:38:26 PM by Silas Rotleaf »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2018, 10:59:53 AM »
It is disturbing to me that in Ghastria a slaughter wight managed to pierce through my seventh arcane circle spell shadow shield; I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that was even possible!

It's never happened to me before and I know during it my spell wasn't disrupted or dispelled... I have no idea how it bypassed my potent defensive ward.

I will need to find both some priests and necromancers to confer with that they may analyze such a freakish and bizarre phenomenon. It is my hope that these experts on both combating and creating undead might have some insights as to why the slaughter wight on that particular night achieved penetrating my shadow shield as though it were almost nothing.
===
In spite of this I have a strong feeling I am well on my way to achieving the eighth circle of arcane magic though I am not quite there yet.
===
What does being a wizard who is growing in power mean? Some would say it is evil because they dislike arcane magic and decry it as an unnatural abomination but among my people the truly great (and truly terrible) have always all been wizards.

Some people will fear you and you will grow distant from them since they perceive your growing "differentness" as something unsettling.  This is probably normal in the course of an arcanist's life and is to be expected.

The supposed ethics of wizardry? There are many at the Royal Academy who would laugh at such a quaint and naive notion.

Well, to that (at least to myself) I maintain my general (and practical) belief that you can determine a "good" wizard from an "evil" one by if they are using their magic overall to help people around them or not. If they are delighting in bringing misfortune to people then I suppose that an evil mage makes.

I mean... I'd tend to think that but I do on occasion enjoy a little blowing off steam and venting my frustrations with such activities as petrifying rebel commandos and setting bandits on fire. On the other hand, so too is devising the right combination of support spells to maximally optimize a warrior or rogue tailored to his or her particular fighting style also very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:54:21 PM by Silas Rotleaf »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
I wonder... Why does a ghoul hunger?
They don't *need* to consume flesh to "live" the way a living opportunistic predator (can scavenge but also seek out live prey) does and most are already their "adult" size from the start.
Many are intelligent enough to speak but conversation with one tends to seldom ever yield anything useful toward figuring out the why of it.
Indeed, the creatures themselves don't seem to have any better understanding of their own psychology behind this all consuming hunger drive than any of our alienists and monster hunters do!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:37:38 PM by Silas Rotleaf »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »
I have to do something to impress the masters, but what?

Come on Agios, think!
You are already a somewhat renown explorer among your people.
Your status as the son of a nobleman commands respect from Hazlani commoners and serfs.

The arcane experiment is good and will give them something no one has ever seen before, at least of this much I am convinced.

I fear that I am unworthy despite my prowesses.
I have mastered the seventh circle yet remain on the verge of unlocking the eighth. Hmm!

This is frustrating. Knowing I could be better than I am and should be there yet it remains just outside my grasp is... irritating.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:49:20 PM by Silas Rotleaf »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2018, 03:13:17 AM »
Let me out damn it!

I don't know why Lady Eleni of Toyalis locked the Ramulai gates, forbade anyone from entering or leaving Red City without her permission, removed the blockades letting people traffic in and out a few hours then put them up again but I do not like it.  Is Lord Hazlik's Right Hand completely insane (how could such a petulant and childish bully wield so much power? Perhaps I am not understanding my ruler and his hand correctly)?!

I have explored every inch of the place (Ramulai) and checked every area my academy keys will let me access (sans the main divination hall over again since I have already previously explored it). I have walked Mamat up and down the courtyard too and things are so boring. I can't even get into Nordenvall to pray at the Fane or the Itu Skoven to petrify bandits.

I have run out of paper for research and Attaryl doesn't sell it. No idea where to get more. None of the merchants in Ramulai seem to have paper!

Master said I can request materials from the administrator to work on the project for his son and he wants it done much more quickly now than I fear may be even possible. I drafted what I could on my spare paper until I ran out. This is so much Mytteri...

I am angered and ill-at-ease.
I love and respect my ruler but this is so very irritating. I hope his Hand finishes whatever thing it is she has required quarantining the entire city for soon and quickly! I swear to the Iron Lord if this is all just some sort of a sick prank...

...and if it is there's really nothing I can do about it. Nothing. What Lord Hazlik's Right Hand does carries the same weight as his own decrees.

I'm just the son of a provincial lord. Satraps have less power than Vrayloks who in turn wield less than the king.

It can't be just as a mean spirited prank on Lady Eleni's part, can it?;  Perhaps she is trying to root out some spies or hidden rebel sympathizers?

Nazara has gotten so bossy as of late. I don't like it.
Lady Eleni said she liked my drawings! She also said she thinks I am stupid and with a terrible sense of direction though. Ugh.

Something terrible happened, when we were transferring the creature to the cart... I asked a servant to check that the restraints were tight enough because my eyes are not good. She let the beast free, or it slipped out or something... Anyway it broke out and Nazara immediately blames me. The city is still under lockdown and I wish I could crawl under a rock and die.

This is probably the worst day ever.  I'm going to die. I reunited Caelia (the servant revealed herself to be in disguise to me) with her mother (Powell and Powell should have seemed more obvious before) and am going to be put to death for it.
Unless... I could find a way to blame someone else.

When Matilda was flailing around it seems her snake arms broke my glasses. I'm having to squint really hard and close to my journal to see.

I need to write to Mumed and Mentalos to explain what happened.
If I hide it will look like guilt.
Be put to death or be presumed guilty... Gee neither of those outcomes sounds desirable.

First I brooded in the underground arena where the match a week ago was held between the Shambling Mauler and Matilda Powell. Then I heard a huge clatter and fighting noises and came out from the House Za'am basement to see the gate had been torn from its hinges. Amid the pile of bodies was Matty. I can try to drag her body back to the Academy and be a hero again... Maybe. Broke my glasses during the chaos. It's pretty hard to see.
Then I went over to the abandoned lab out by Daeming lake.

I gained Caelia's confidence. Master Mentalos asked me to pay attention to the foreigners for him. I can use this...

Perhaps it is for the better my colleagues may be so easily swayed and simple-minded they think I have defected as a foreign sympathizer? Ugh. I hope someone will try to clear my name. I was spying on the foreigners *for* the senior instructor. Now that the Halan witch thinks I am on her side she could reveal some plans even! It's risky but with no risk there is also very little worthwhile reward.

I am sick of being treated as a menial servitor by bossy upstarts who always assume I am less competent and capable than I can be.
This was a unique opportunity I took where I can expose some foreign interlopers... Maybe there is prestige in that?

I do feel a little bad about sacrificing Caelia and about that serf I had taken the tongue from but those are necessary sacrifices! You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs! Hazlan was hungry and it needed an appetizer?

I had turned on my old foreign friend because she is working in opposition to the academy. The red wizards and even the other apprentices don't think much of me but hopefully this can impress them where my innovations, field experience and mind did not...? Oh who am I kidding... Everybody is too vainglorious to see anything much further than a few inches from their own long-thin noses.

I turned on her but the important part that she doesn't think I did remains intact. That my own people responded in a hostile fashion might be usable to lend a seeming legitimacy to my cover in this spy role.

The easiest way to "deal with" someone and laziest way is to kill them. My mind does not matter. These peers do not care what things I may invent or what help I may give them if they think an immediate advantage to be made in scapegoating their classmate.* Do I have a chance? Things seem pretty hopeless.

Why have I put everything on the line for these hapless lackwits & charlatans who pay such poor attention they let their institution be infiltrated by foreign spies so easily?

I agreed to spy on the foreigners and other students for Master Mentalos Za'am. The senior instructor thus far has been the only faculty member in the academy who has taken a bit of interest and been encouraging to me so when he asked me to do it for him I leapt at the chance and took it wholeheartedly.

*Of course they don't. The reptilian primal oafs would take it as one less mageling to have to compete with and a beneficial winnowing of the pool; My doom is most decidedly advantageous to them!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:48:09 PM by Silas Rotleaf »

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2018, 06:33:19 AM »
Clarity (epilogue & what if?):

I don't need the Red Academy.
They never taught me anything except that the other wizards in my country are mostly pricks.
I have never needed them to do my magic.
I learned it on my own and abroad.

The other magelings hated me and crucified me for it.
They don't understand at all why I did what I did and didn't want to believe it when I explained it to them because it was to their selfish and unexamined way of things advantageous not to.

There is a part of the Iron Faith where if The Lawgiver has turned His back on a ruler (He has lost His faith in them &therefore withdrawn His divine support of them) then it is not a crime for people to defy him and supplant him with a stronger one. It is the natural way of things that those who are stronger, smarter and more powerful claw their way to the top.

Instructor "Fennox" the foreigner and his concubine Nazara the orphan are pretender upstarts. They must pay for what they did to me... Someday. Somehow.
I was (am?) on the verge of achieving the eighth circle. I need to get that last bit of strength and power so I can be where I could give them their comeuppance.

I now have a motivation to spur me towards greatness which if the academy truly was the institute they like to tout themselves as... No.
I will never get to wear a red ring.
Not unless I end up murdering one of my rivals to take theirs.

Do I really want to be that kind of a mage?

I should be the one teaching them! They have a whole lot to learn about the weave and cooperation and progress which they may never hope to understand except through working together!

I will have to adopt some of my rivals' techniques of deception, underhanded sneak attacks and screwing people over to get ahead... Like poor Caelia. Well, if I have to save up to get the Bhaal Verzi themselves even to remove those two perhaps? ...So be it.

Note to self: Perhaps make more friends with assassins. A drop of poison in the ear while sleeping is a relatively pain free death and far better than most of these insipid twits deserve.

I would like it to be through my own arcane might but the thing is... I am terrible at combat and likely always will be. Money, hired thugs and experts are the solution but these will take time to produce and secure. The Mytteri seduced blowhards took it all. My every last bloodcopper.

They need to pay for what they have done Lawgiver. Make them go through the same type of unnecessary suffering they have put me through! That is the only language which it seems their undeveloped minds can come to appreciate through what they have shown me!
There is no forgiveness. Only judgment and they think they are the favored. They are arrogant and stupid blithering fools who feel so secure in their unearned positions.

Mine was too hard fought to be stripped away by some idiot in a robe with a ring and a wand in his hand or his sycophantic miserable waif either! They did not rob me of my (arcane) power and of my wits not permanently.

My plan was far too genius for either of those two *idiots* to understand: Matilda Powell has reason to want to return to life since she knows Caelia lives. They were reunited. I staged it that way on purpose. I got her out of her catatonia too which is something those vapid invertebrates also failed to take into account. Fennox and Nazara are really too stupid to understand this; They said my bringing the body back dead is useless and assume she does not wish to live any longer. Deliberately they are ignoring how I changed the equation. They are only looking at the little picture; It is truly pitiable that these worms consider themselves to be the elite.

I did everything I could for Masters Mentalos and Mumed, me! Not those two lackwits. I was an exemplary student so of course they smashed me down. That has to be it.

They were jealous and felt threatened I, the folkhero, the Hazlani who went abroad to learn a great deal about other cultures might have supplanted being object to the affections of their dear blasted and blighted Za'am family. Aha! That has to be it.

...Oh, how I do HATE THEM ALL.

... My plans have been ruined by them for the very last time...
Ideally they would beg beneath my feet, prostrate for me to show them the self-same mercy which they had themselves denied me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:34:34 PM by Silas Rotleaf »