You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Player Raise-Fail Zombie - Critique and Suggestion  (Read 1706 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Player Raise-Fail Zombie - Critique and Suggestion
« on: March 28, 2018, 05:15:33 PM »
When you fail to successfully raise a fallen companion, they come back as a zombie version of themselves! which is terrifying and wonderful. However, there's something that doesn't quite make the experience that memorable. It's handled as a minor inconvenience, and after beating up the naked, unarmored version of yourself, your body is collected and taken to get a more expensive raise elsewhere (which is all fine and dandy). Recently, my character was defeated in battle and raised as a Zombie by an MPC to be used as a weapon against my allies, a phenomenal story line, but there was just something... meh about it.

My critique is that the zombie your character gets raised as is just a neutered version of yourself. It's naked (or rather wearing vagabond rags) and unarmed. You were wearing armor, you were armed, but somehow you have broken from those things and if you're not a monk, you're easily beaten like a bowl of eggs. I really do like the raise-fail zombies, it's a great touch to a horror setting. But it isn't quite horrific since you don't have to face your friend to their best potential.

My suggestion is that the zombies come back in the armor they died in, and use the weapons they were armed with, making the rare experience that much more of a challenge, terrifying, and memorable.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Troukk

• Dark Power
Re: Player Raise-Fail Zombie - Critique and Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
I love your idea but it seems extremely exploitable in a dungeon.
Not all who wander are lost.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »

How do you figure? I dont think the raise-fail zombies attack the AI, so they couldn't clear it for the party. I have an image of my dude as one chilling next to the boss in the fire caves, here, to show they don't attack when unattended by PC's.

Spoiler: show

Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
I can see where it could be difficult to make a zombie wearing the victims equipment. Specially arms and shields dropped when said victim died. However, a quite viable alternative could be to grant the zombie a number of protective and offensive powers based on the victim's level.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:41:20 PM »
I think bonus AC and DR would make them significantly more formidable. I like the idea of fighting your zombie companion being more difficult.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:56 AM »
Would it be possibly to copy the appearance of the player's ghost to the zombie? Even if they're not using actual gear, it would be more horror oriented if they looked similar to how they fell.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 07:33:25 AM »

How do you figure? I dont think the raise-fail zombies attack the AI, so they couldn't clear it for the party. I have an image of my dude as one chilling next to the boss in the fire caves, here, to show they don't attack when unattended by PC's.

Spoiler: show

Raise fail zombies use the same format as create undead zombies, only create undead zombies are friendly, in your party, they last forever, and they can be buffed with undead only buffs like iron skin.

If they had decent AC + AB they would definitely be dungeon material.
Not all who wander are lost.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »
Except raise fail zombies are never hostile to the party, and I believe that raising the corpse as an undead would be on the necromancer or mpc to -not- abuse. But that does give me a darker 'Weekened at Bernie's" vibe. Just hijacking someone's body for a raid.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
Unfortunately we can't have it wear the PC's armor/weapons; while it would be cool, it'd only work if the zombie was created the moment the PC dies, otherwise you can't "store" the PC's weapons/armor on the corpse itself. For weapons, as others have pointed out, the issue stems from the fact that the PC drops them so they won't necessarily be on the ground when you raise the person. For armor, since it's on the PC's body, and the PC may or may not be logged on at the time it is raised, you can't copy it from there either (if the PC is online it would work, but only if they still wore the same piece of armor at the time).

I had looked into those not too long ago to make them more interesting but ended up with that conclusion as well.

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
Unfortunately we can't have it wear the PC's armor/weapons; while it would be cool, it'd only work if the zombie was created the moment the PC dies, otherwise you can't "store" the PC's weapons/armor on the corpse itself. For weapons, as others have pointed out, the issue stems from the fact that the PC drops them so they won't necessarily be on the ground when you raise the person. For armor, since it's on the PC's body, and the PC may or may not be logged on at the time it is raised, you can't copy it from there either (if the PC is online it would work, but only if they still wore the same piece of armor at the time).

I had looked into those not too long ago to make them more interesting but ended up with that conclusion as well.

Perhaps not the weapons, but the armor/clothing?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:34:19 PM »
...Did you read what I wrote? If you have an alternative way to make it work, I'm all ears.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »
...Did you read what I wrote? If you have an alternative way to make it work, I'm all ears.

Does the PC data object do anything of that sort? Then again, they would have to be around. I wonder if corpses themselves could have a PC clone saved on them for when the script is fired. I am not sure how that would be done though.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
In a different vein for making player zombies more harrowing..

What if a zombie raise played an alternative VFX sequence to normal raising? A poof of red smoke.. an ominous pause.. flying skulls.. and then the zombie spawns? This could be accompanied by a descriptive yellow-text server message.
Maybe the zombie could make automated speech too? - The occasional [tortured moan].