You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Necromancy feats worth?  (Read 8919 times)

Alan Hunter

• Dark Lord
Re: Necromancy feats worth?
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2019, 02:25:09 AM »
Not once has anyone said 'Oh, casters are weak. We should buff them.' I don't know why you keep repeating that they aren't when nobody says they are.

What we're saying is anyone that is directly focused on the act of necromancy and raising corpses *is* weak, because the necromancy feats weaken the character in question. And given that being found out as a necromancer has immediately become a PvP target, there are far better feats a caster that may be engaged in pvp could and should take.

Technically, according to our PvP rules, being found out as a necromancer isn't enough to be a PvP target. Anyone who attacks a PC -just- because they are a necromancer is breaking PvP rules.

In any case, the issue seems to be that undead summons are weak, something I tend to agree with. That being said, revising summons takes time and is a pain. If anyone volunteers to do it and sends me completed utc files for the summons I can revise (and that follow the source books), I'll be happy to look into them.

You are awesome. Suggestion was awesome.
"For Evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

tylernwn

• Dark Lord
Re: Necromancy feats worth?
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »
Not once has anyone said 'Oh, casters are weak. We should buff them.' I don't know why you keep repeating that they aren't when nobody says they are.

What we're saying is anyone that is directly focused on the act of necromancy and raising corpses *is* weak, because the necromancy feats weaken the character in question. And given that being found out as a necromancer has immediately become a PvP target, there are far better feats a caster that may be engaged in pvp could and should take.

Technically, according to our PvP rules, being found out as a necromancer isn't enough to be a PvP target. Anyone who attacks a PC -just- because they are a necromancer is breaking PvP rules.

In any case, the issue seems to be that undead summons are weak, something I tend to agree with. That being said, revising summons takes time and is a pain. If anyone volunteers to do it and sends me completed utc files for the summons I can revise (and that follow the source books), I'll be happy to look into them.

Well there's our opportunity to fix this!

Though I would like to point out that in Pnp the advantage of these spells was that you could spam them to create a horde of undead, and they lasted until you didn't want to keep them anymore. So given that the server has restrictions on the duration and number of summons, which are the two advantages of these necromancy spells, some other form of balancing would be required.

I think its pretty reasonable to say that any undead summoned here should probably be stronger than the pnp equivalent, because you can only summon 1 and its duration is dramatically reduced.

You could probably get away with just adding a template on top of the undead from Create Undead, and Create Greater Undead like:
Deathless "https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Deathless_(3.5e_Template)"
Dire "https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Dire_(3.5e_Template)"
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:43:39 PM by tylernwn1991 »