You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Mobs targeting downed players  (Read 1209 times)

Fiznok

• New to the Mists
Mobs targeting downed players
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:46:02 AM »
Why does the bleedout mechanic and related feats exist if mobs are just going to kill you as soon as you go down? Totally asking for a friend.

I am clearly on the ground and was in that state for more than a round. If this is going to continue to happen, I'd like to know so I don't invest in feats I'll never use.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:51:47 AM by Fiznok »

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Mobs targeting downed players
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 06:38:53 AM »
It's not intended that the mobs continue attacking a downed player. Typically, they should stop after the player is bleeding, and find another target (or stand around for a while before returning to their patrols/spawn locations).

There are a few scenarios where they may still attack a downed player, though. One is lag; A small spike of lag might stop the monsters' AIs from updating in time. Another is if another monster had just attacked you, or cast a spell at you - this attack may still succeed even if the monster would stop attacking you after it. Finally, it could be possible that the monster had an action, such as a special ability, queued on you and due to some mistake this didn't get cancelled appropriately. That might be the case here, though I haven't looked into the specific scripts that handle attack cancellation against downed targets.

Normally you should be left in a bleeding state. There's no need to be snarky about it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:45:45 AM by Exordium »

Fiznok

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 06:47:10 AM »
I didn't intend to come off as snarky, though I do see that I should have worded it differently. Is it lag on my end that would perhaps cause this?

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »
Is it lag on my end that would perhaps cause this?
It'd be lag on server side, though that is probably not what happened here.. Overall, performance lagging in NWN can manifest as all kinds of weird stuff by affecting how and when scripts get executed etc. But we've gotten pretty lag free nowadays!

Our overlord Soren confirmed that actions aren't cancelled if they've already started. So probably the hive mother had the ranged attack action queued on you and was just starting it as you went to bleeding. It's unfortunate, but thankfully not an overtly common scenario.
I didn't intend to come off as snarky, though I do see that I should have worded it differently.
It's alright!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:58:01 AM by Exordium »

Fiznok

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 07:04:00 AM »
I'll keep this in mind moving forward. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't grabbing dead feats in the off chance I level at some point (the RP experience really helps a newbie like me). While powerbuilding is bland, picking feats that you never get to use just feels bad. Thanks everyone involved for the clarification!

BraveSirRobin

• Dark Power
  • "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 06:57:43 AM »
I was hunting bounties in Port-a-Lucine on Joachim the other day, and I got messed up by a Sorcerer on one of the maps, dominated-confused-paralyzed triple threat. I spent about five minutes being slowly beaten to death by smugglers, but when I went down, one of the Waifs wouldn't stop throwing darts at me, and eventually managed to crit and corpsed me. It was the most metal thing ever.