You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Random Hour Bumps Between Needing to Rest - Criticism  (Read 1370 times)

peps

• Undead Master
Random Hour Bumps Between Needing to Rest - Criticism
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »
As most know, you'll find yourself at specific levels where the time you need to wait between rests increases by an hour. What I've found really odd is how random that feels; the time needed to wait seems randomly assigned to levels. For an example, at level 13 you must wait 4 hours between rests. A regular 1hr + 1 turn/level zoo spell will end almost an entire IG hour before you can rest. Five minutes is a massive amount of time when you might find yourself needing to rest 3+ times for dungeons meant for your level; that's 15 minutes of dead time. It only begins to get tolerable once you hit level 16, I imagine (and that's me assuming the hours don't increase again).

From what I understand this has always been like this, or at least in my experience. With that said, what was the original reason for the sudden, disconnected jump in amount of hours needed to rest?

BattleCupcake

• Undead Slayer
  • The Old Cat Bard
Re: Random Hour Bumps Between Needing to Rest - Criticism
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:22:28 PM »
I don't think it's randomly assigned; the time required to rest increases at levels 7, 13, and 19. It does this because of, I imagine, the 1hr + 1turn/level "zoo" spells being intended not to last longer than the time between rest periods without extend spell. If you think about it, the "zoo" spells last the full time between rests at level 6, 12, and 18.

I wish rest timers were reduced by 1 hour across the board, so that these spells could last one entire rest cycle... as ultimately, people just frustratedly sit around trying to actually do something typing

//1 hr
//1 hr

etc.

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:28:37 PM »
I don't know, but from past comments I think it has more to do with PVP than PVE. That is, the idea is casters can't stay buffed all the time so that they will have windows of vulnerability.

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:58:34 PM »

I wish rest timers were reduced by 1 hour across the board, so that these spells could last one entire rest cycle... as ultimately, people just frustratedly sit around trying to actually do something typing

//1 hr
//1 hr

etc.

Instead of simply waiting and saying //1 hr , those are a good time to RP, because you're waiting for resting doesn't mean you can't RP. ;)
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

peps

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 12:30:20 AM »

//1 hr
//1 hr

etc.

Instead of simply waiting and saying //1 hr , those are a good time to RP, because you're waiting for resting doesn't mean you can't RP. ;)

While I share the sentiment, it's quite hard to decently RP in a dungeon when you're confined to a certain area unless you risk death given you're not buffed. And usually dungeons' interesting points are in specific areas, so it's a hit or miss thing.

Anyways, the true issue comes when traveling within parties that don't need to wait so long. You're like a weak link when it comes to efficiency, which I feel is what a repeatable dungeon is all about. So, does having the wait time remain the same even come level 7, 13, and 19 seem strong? Sure. Within a party? Not so much when others need to rest.

What of just shifting the bumps to 10 and 16 (not quite sure how strong removing the last bump would be)?

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:42:36 AM »
From my own perspective as a player, I rarely actually need to wait to rest on my caster-types by padding in some RP to before and after resting. I discuss tactics in-character, my religious types pray (and may preach a little), my scholarly types muse about the dungeon and the monsters in it, that like of stuff.

But I do get the pain in those very specific levels, like 13 and 14, where the buffs may more easily run out before being able to rest.

A minor Glamour

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 07:36:02 AM »
Well this is when a collection of scrolls, wands, and potions are useful if your finding yourself magically naked in a dangerous spot. If anything I think we can rest too often, but I'm much more of a hardcore purist it seems.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »
The idea is that you cannot keep spells up the entire time, and I think that is very reasonable. Its a compromise since we can rest multiple times within the span of a day.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:29:42 AM »
I think we should gear towards resting less in dungeons, rather than adjusting systems to compensate for a very OOC behaviour.

Doesn't seem very realistic to me to spend 16-24 hours resting in a dangerous place, each sharing one bedroll for the entire group. I always build my characters so they are less rest-dependant, but that's just me.

Personally I'd prefer removing the mechanic that makes a closed door stop spawns from finding you during rest, but I'm also the sort of person who likes to pick off his own scabs. Sucker for punishment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:31:27 AM by Blight »
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!