You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: The Queen of Air And Darkness  (Read 2574 times)

Blight

• Dark Lord
The Queen of Air And Darkness
« on: March 05, 2018, 05:40:55 PM »
So, I've been looking at a lot of resources about the Seelie Courts both within the demiplane and outside of it, and I've been noticing more and more reasons to suspect that Maeve is, in fact, the Queen of Air and Darkness... just not -yet-

There's a lot of reasons to believe her "destiny" is to become the QoAaD, but I'm wondering if anybody has an argument that can prove the theory false.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: The Queen of Air And Darkness
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »
Immortal Fey becoming goddess time traveling in the far past of the dawn of time of the Outer Planes despite the Unspoken Pact? Really?
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
 :lol:

Let's go into more detail with those several different points lol. Some of the things you mentioned I know nothing about.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:08:56 PM by Blight »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 12:29:32 AM »
The Unspoken Pact is believed to be some sort of mystical agreement which keeps the Dark powers from ever reaching into the Outer or Inner planes (where the Gods resides) and in turn the Gods from messing with the Demiplane of Dread. The gods are silent if this is even true or not, but whatever the reason, both the Dark Powers and Deities keep each others well away from each other's turfs. Even Vecna, once out, took no further steps to destroy it.

Therefore, the Queen of Air and Darkness, being a goddess in her own right that probably has lived in the planes her whole existence would never be bothered by the Dark Powers. And just to nail that coffin shut, she is clearly indicated as the sister of fellow Goddess Titania, which obviously makes it impossible for her to be the only sister of Loth (the Arak Sith Prince).

Plus, my brain hurts at all the convoluted explanations required to ever turn her into the Queen of Air and Darkness eons ago. Not that we haven't seen worse before, but still...
Best Regards!
MAB

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:37:06 AM »
Also... the Queen of Air and Darkness's origin is explained in the Planescape Boxed set's "Planes of Chaos" and probably in some older D&D books as well, all predating the creation of Maeve in 1998's The Shadow Rift Supplement. (Yes Maeve is turning 20 years this year)
Best Regards!
MAB

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 03:48:41 AM »
I'll have a look at the sources you mentioned.

My running theory is that Maeve at some point manages to leave the demiplane of dread through the plane of shadow (which is technically possible), and at some point afterwards becomes the QoAaD.

I guess in order for people to challenge this theory i have to list the reasons why.

We all known that when an individual moves from their home plane to the demiplane, time is disrupted. They could spend fifty years in the demiplane and it would be like they never left. We also know that time doesn't work the same in the Shadow Rift , one year outside is a century inside. If Maeve were to manage to leave the Demiplane, time would evidentally not work as it would for others. We've also seen from some crossover lore than on occasion individuals leave the demiplane and sometimes they are flung far in time from when they expected. I believe in this instance, the term sister is used to describe that they are in fact a representatiion of the same being, but opposite. i would go so far as to suggest that the QoAaD IS Titania, which would only be even more supported by the suggested material in Gaelic Folklore that there is really only one Court, and whether it's the Seelie Court or the Unseelie Court, they're all the same fickle beings, just manifesting themselves as two separate entities.

Also, in Gaelic folklore, where a lot of this originated, when there is use of the word sister or brother in relation to fey, it's not always meant by blood or something. Fey don't often procreate normally. Sometimes, Fey simply come into existence from nothing, or simply change from one being into another. Sister or Brother as descriptors are more often used to compare two things than it is to describe a blood relation. I've seen it used in similiar stories to describe something as the opposite of something else, and also the same as each other. It's actually more rare for it to be used normally than it is as i've suggested.

I think the most interesting argument is also that the holy symbol of the Queen of Air and Darkness is a black diamond. You know who also covets a black diamond for it's power? Maeve. And we also know that items from the shadow plane are more often corrupting than they are beneficial.

So, we have a morally questionable fey who uses a black crystal for questionable purposes, is a Queen, lives in a realm consumed by shadow and darkness, and is literally thousands of years old, virtually immortal, by the powers of that black diamond.

There's several more "coincidences" i could mention, but those are pretty hard to ignore.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:54:04 AM by Blight »

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 04:07:19 AM »
The whole thing reminds me of Pelor and Zarus.

No real proof but it's clear that somebody went out of their way to make the suggestion that things might not be as they seem...

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:42:01 AM »
The thing to me is really that game developers are not in the habit of creating characters for a different setting, ever. What would be the point of creating a character you'd let go a few years later? You create characters to improve your own setting's narrative.

Of course, you could "save" a character from a different setting if he is no longer to be used in it's original one. Gondegal's an exemple of such. But recuperating a character to make her into an already existing one? Never. There is nothing to be gained here.
Best Regards!
MAB

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 09:06:48 AM »
Sometimes an odd similarity is only that.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:16:26 AM »
The similarity is intended, it is a Ravenloft trope to propose dark reflections of things existing elsewhere in the Multiverse. And in some ways that place where Sith experience recorded deaths clearly mirrors the Hall of the Sensates. But if Maeve gets corrupted it would be to make her a Darklord certainly not a goddess of the multiverse at large.
Best Regards!
MAB