You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Roleplay Regarding Item Descriptions  (Read 1177 times)

Moshimo

Roleplay Regarding Item Descriptions
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:04:11 AM »

Regarding this description, and several others like it, are these items meant to be part of the "What you see is what you get" rule? As in, can I roleplay as if this item is disguising my appearance while wearing it? This question comes to me because there are multiple other items that state quite literally, "shadows surround the user." Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

*Edited because the picture didn't upload correctly
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:06:23 AM by Moshimo »

Iridni Ren

• L'injustice à la fin produit l'indépendance.
  • Dark Power
  • When all other lights go out
Re: Roleplay Regarding Item Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
I can't find the fairly recent discussion about regular hoods and descriptions like "shadows surround the user," but as I recall that phrase has to do more with enhancing hiding rather than disguising. I remember something being said to the effect that a PC would have to wear a ski mask type disguise to hide her face.

I don't know about the magic hat item you have there, though, because its description is pretty specific of its effect.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 10:23:23 AM by Iridni Ren »

My windows cracked, but they can be replaced.
Your arm will tire throwing stones my way.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
We have no disguise mechanism right now due to the engine's mechanical limitations. We are investigating options for such though, but it may still be a while before we are able to have one working as we'd like it. So no, that hat cannot hide who you are despite the description.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Moshimo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 10:55:50 AM »
I don't want to come off as rude or disrespectful or whatever, just genuine curiosity. Why are descriptions like this written if they're just falsities created to, for lack of a better word, "hype up" an item?

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »
I don't want to come off as rude or disrespectful or whatever, just genuine curiosity. Why are descriptions like this written if they're just falsities created to, for lack of a better word, "hype up" an item?

It's a fair question. I don't know who added that one and don't know the precise reasons. Maybe the one whom did it had in mind a disguise system to go along, but it never materialized. Send me the names of any such items in private message please, I'll see to it they get corrected.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
It is a very good point. Maybe certain items that claim to obscure or hide in shadows could have visual effects added? Or perhaps the description changed as to reflect the game mechanics better?
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 03:23:05 PM »
That item was one of mine that I added, and I realize now that I should have qualified what was said in its description better ("allow them to more easily blend into a crowd", and so forth). I'll see it sorted out. Rest assured that it'll be worked out in future versions of the item in question, and I might see about editing the descriptions of other items that have the same problem ("Ghost Hood").

Do understand that it's only an attempt to provide flavor and explain why the item has the properties it does, and also why it is called what it is.

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
A minor mistake considering the loot update seems to go along nicely, not the right thread for praise but still. *thumbsup*